Kraton Are stock 6s electronics (motor/esc) any good?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hector_Fisher

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Kraton EXB
I've got a super-sized 1/10 scale basher that i'm thinking could make good use of the larger motor and lower kv from the 6s setup (2050kv and 150A esc). It's currently running a 3150kv motor and 130A esc on 3s and I have it geared to suit my speed. I'd plan to run the new setup on 4s and gear to suit. The 6s setup running 4s should benefit from running cool and hopefully give more slower speed control (less cogging at startup), from what I understand. Not too mention, i have two spare 2s SMC's that would work perfectly for the task and the current 3s setup would then go towards resurrecting my old HPI. My driving is general bashing, nothing hardcore, no speed runs.

BUT... I want to know if the 6s stuff is worth buying in the first place. My experience has been with the 3s line--i've warrantied two motors and an esc (been waiting on the ESC for 2 months and my senton still sits idle). Based on my experience, the 3s motor/esc suck--rife with QC issues. But I've heard good reviews about the 6s line, so i'm intrigued. I can get the 6s setup for a reasonable price, so i'm wondering if it's worth pursuing.

As a side note: I see plenty of people upgrading their kraton/notorious/talion to new electronics after they get them. Is that because of need (eg., the electronics suck), want (eg., stock 6s stuff is underpowered for the kraton), or something else?

I've got a super-sized 1/10 scale basher that i'm thinking could make good use of the larger motor and lower kv from the 6s setup (2050kv and 150A esc). It's currently running a 3150kv motor and 130A esc on 3s and I have it geared to suit my speed. I'd plan to run the new setup on 4s and gear to suit. The 6s setup running 4s should benefit from running cool and hopefully give more slower speed control (less cogging at startup), from what I understand. Not too mention, i have two spare 2s SMC's that would work perfectly for the task and the current 3s setup would then go towards resurrecting my old HPI. My driving is general bashing, nothing hardcore, no speed runs.

BUT... I want to know if the 6s stuff is worth buying in the first place. My experience has been with the 3s line--i've warrantied two motors and an esc (been waiting on the ESC for 2 months and my senton still sits idle). Based on my experience, the 3s motor/esc suck--rife with QC issues. But I've heard good reviews about the 6s line, so i'm intrigued. I can get the 6s setup for a reasonable price, so i'm wondering if it's worth pursuing.

As a side note: I see plenty of people upgrading their kraton/notorious/talion to new electronics after they get them. Is that because of need (eg., the electronics suck), want (eg., stock 6s stuff is underpowered for the kraton), or something else?
You will have to upgrade your driveline a bit if your running 4s/6s. I guess it depends on how you drive.

Where are you located in Washington?

I like the stock Spektrum stuff and I think its good enough for most uses. The huge draw of Spektrum stuff is that its very inexpensive (especially from a kit breaker, though you don't get the warranty) compared to a HW or Castle setup. That being said, a HW or Castle setup will give you more options for configurations and more features. I'd say it really depends on your budget. I got an extra Firma 150a and 2 extra 2050kV motors for 1/2 of one MAX6 Combo.

That being said, as stuff starts breaking, I will likely change to Castle of HW with 1650kV motors for the extra power, but I don't think its necessary.

The RTR 6s ESC's will run on 3s or 4s. Very efficiently with all the extra amp overhead. 4s may be overpowered for a 4x4 driveline as stated above. Upgrades mostly like will be inevitable.

I'm not super concerned about drivetrain issues. The stock power was 4s on a brushed system, more than enough torque to snap the driveshafts as is, so regardless it was always going to be an exercise in throttle control, discretion, and finesse. That said, I do recognize the increased power with BL on 4s.

With appropriate driving style to match the stock drivetrain, my biggest remaining question is whether the arrma 6s electronics are high quality or whether, for example, i would be better served by spending alot more for a max8 combo or equivalent castle XXX in order to that good quality.

The Spektrum 6s combo is pretty darn good. Upgrades are just expensive marginal gains if you stay at 6s. Many people upgrade to offset the weight gains of bulletproofing. If you're at 12 lbs or so, the Spektrum setup will serve you well.

I have a 6s system in my granite and it blasts. But yes. Ive went thru 3 plastic diffs. Shreds em
Do you run it on 6s!?

Running the 6s system on 3s would be fine, I'd think. A little extra weight, a little extra torque.

If you're running on 6s, I'm either surprised you've only killed 3 diffs, or you have the worlds most sensitive fingers for your throttle!

I was drag racing it with foam tires with NO problems with diffs. I put a set of hatchets and it just KEPT shredding em. Yes i was running it on 6s. The poor guy has NO electronics now. Haha. I put that system in this guy to trade
20211204_191108.jpg

I do want to report back that ended up getting a 6s firma set off jennys. It worked great in my oversized 1/10 scale. Almost imperceptible cogging, even at crawling speeds. Then I recently bought an KEXB and swapped the firma kit over to it. I was worried about heat, but its insane on a 14t pinion; and no heat issues. I really am impressed with the motor/esc. No real thoughts yet on "longevity", but so far I would say I'd buy it again!

I do want to report back that ended up getting a 6s firma set off jennys. It worked great in my oversized 1/10 scale. Almost imperceptible cogging, even at crawling speeds. Then I recently bought an KEXB and swapped the firma kit over to it. I was worried about heat, but its insane on a 14t pinion; and no heat issues. I really am impressed with the motor/esc. No real thoughts yet on "longevity", but so far I would say I'd buy it again!

I run my Beefed V5 K6S on the stock stuff on 15t and its pretty good stuff. Just not as insane or feature filled as the CC or HW 11650kV stuff, which is fine cause it costs a good chunk less.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back