Are the Electronics in my felony really water proof!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dmkkings

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Infraction
  3. Limitless
  4. Mojave
  5. Vendetta
I like to keep my Armas looking nice as I can! As far as cleaning a rc! I like to clean mine after a couple of battery packs! I am torn between spraying them off with a low setting of water or not to! I Also spray them down with Simple Green and them brushing them with a brush of wd 40! Also to remove the electronic or to leave them in?

Ok.. NOTHING on God's lovely green Earth is water proof. In fact, water is the single most destructive force we know of that destroys the most.
However, manufacturers idea of water proof is more along the lines of water resistant. You will be fine as long as you don't mistake your rig for a submarine.
And make sure you dilute the Simple Green. It's a degreaser too and will clean parts too good. As in remove lubrication.

Water = Rust and Corrosion. If you are going to wash make sure to blow dry and add silicone spray to displace the water. i just brush off big stuff then leaf blower and a little silicone around moving parts. Takes 5 mins.

Water = Rust and Corrosion. If you are going to wash make sure to blow dry and add silicone spray to displace the water. i just brush off big stuff then leaf blower and a little silicone around moving parts. Takes 5 mins.
Is it not good to take the electronic, or the shocks every time u clean a rc

Plus. If you use a compressor to blow out or dry, immobilize the fans with something like a toothpick to prevent over-spinning and wrecking them.
Is it not good to take the electronic, or the shocks every time u clean a rc
Everyone has their own routine. Me, I just use a spray bottle of diluted simple green and try not to spray motor, axles, and esc. I find it time consuming to remove everything. But yes, some people completely strip their rcs down to clean.

Plus. If you use a compressor to blow out or dry, immobilize the fans with something like a toothpick to prevent over-spinning and wrecking them.

Everyone has their own routine. Me, I just use a spray bottle of diluted simple green and try not to spray motor, axles, and esc. I find it time consuming to remove everything. But yes, some people completely strip their rcs down to clean.
Is regular wd 40 a silicone spray or do u have to buy wd 40 silicone spray

Now this is good! I like to use regular wd40 on my axles, shaft joints and exposed motor bearings when I go out in wet conditions.
Note, I don't use or recommend this as lubrication. Nor do I use in dry conditions. I use this because the WD stands for Water Displacement. However, it can and will attract and hold dust, dirt etc...basically I'm using this to try to keep water away from crucial areas and bearings.

The electronics are potted but how well potted is kind of a crapshoot. That and it also depends on what’s in your water.

Personally I just use a stiff bristle brush (paint brush) to clean on a regular basis and then blow the car with my leaf blower every once in awhile - I avoid the water when possible.

Water is evil and WD40 is even worse 😜
Fan on ESC is not waterproof, neither are bearings. Dry lube is ok, WD40 on plastic is ok as well but keep it away from motor, ESC and bearings.
It will penetrate the ESC potting and cause issues over time.

I get how WD40 isn't good on the ESC or even the inner parts of motor, why bearings? Not saying you are wrong, just interested to know something I might not of thought of. And maybe should have noted that it gets wiped and dried after. Personally I feel it delays rusting but I've been known to be wrong once in a blue moon lol

Should be listed as water resistant. Only a seal is waterproof 🤣.

I get how WD40 isn't good on the ESC or even the inner parts of motor, why bearings? Not saying you are wrong, just interested to know something I might not of thought of. And maybe should have noted that it gets wiped and dried after. Personally I feel it delays rusting but I've been known to be wrong once in a blue moon lol
Yes, WD40 leaves a residue on the bearings that builds up and will destroy your bearing. Especially motor bearings that are at high rpm will be damaged quickly.

This is good feedback @Dmkkings

I use full and 50/50 Simple Green when cleaning. I do not spray the electronics and I find it will eat away the 3M that sticks down ESC, power buttons, etc.

I used some COWs Silcone spray when done to spray all the joints, pivot balls, hinges, etc. Last I spray all the plastic with SC1 silicone spray and shelf it. Makes it look good like new

Since my rigs are displayed in my work office I clean them after usage to model as temp shelf queens.

Yes, WD40 leaves a residue on the bearings that builds up and will destroy your bearing. Especially motor bearings that are at high rpm will be damaged quickly.
I tried looking this up and what I'm getting is WD40 breaks down the lubrication in the bearings, leading to premature failure. I'm surprised but haven't noticed effects to my bearings. Worth paying attention though

Instead of a complete teardown, I do sections of the car at a time. For instance when I am servicing my diffs. Because by that time the bearings usually need to be cleaned or replaced. I don't know why but doing it that way seems less daunting than doing a complete teardown. I haven't done a complete teardown of any of my rc cars in a long time.
Should be listed as water resistant. Only a seal is waterproof 🤣.
seal of approval.jpeg

This is good feedback @Dmkkings

I use full and 50/50 Simple Green when cleaning. I do not spray the electronics and I find it will eat away the 3M that sticks down ESC, power buttons, etc.

I used some COWs Silcone spray when done to spray all the joints, pivot balls, hinges, etc. Last I spray all the plastic with SC1 silicone spray and shelf it. Makes it look good like new

Since my rigs are displayed in my work office I clean them after usage to model as temp shelf queens.

That SC1 is nice and the smell is pretty good too.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back