Typhon Are the Katars a poor tire?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheCyborgSlayer

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton EXB
  2. Typhon 6s
Is anyone else having problems with the Katar B tires blowing out, shredding, or just coming completely unglued?

I had one blowout two minutes out of the box after I purchased my Typhon. It came unglued from the inside. I’ve kept up checking to make sure they aren’t coming unglued, I’ve even vented the outside like a lot of people I’ve seen recommend.
Again, yesterday I had one tire come completely unglued along the outside bead and a second tire just ripped itself apart. All on my first pack of the day.
So are these Katar B tires just not very good? Poor QC? Is there a buggy tire that has proven to be more reliable? I drive it mostly off road and they do very well, until they pop.

712E45BB-1861-4D08-BE93-1D2C1F5DE5A6.jpeg

2BB6607B-C220-4EB6-A001-AB12050801FA.jpeg

C3A4E056-C114-48E9-8FAB-654799FF185F.jpeg

74BA57BC-C735-47E7-8206-F1724AFAB36A.jpeg

Is anyone else having problems with the Katar B tires blowing out, shredding, or just coming completely unglued?

I had one blowout two minutes out of the box after I purchased my Typhon. It came unglued from the inside. I’ve kept up checking to make sure they aren’t coming unglued, I’ve even vented the outside like a lot of people I’ve seen recommend.
Again, yesterday I had one tire come completely unglued along the outside bead and a second tire just ripped itself apart. All on my first pack of the day.
So are these Katar B tires just not very good? Poor QC? Is there a buggy tire that has proven to be more reliable? I drive it mostly off road and they do very well, until they pop.

View attachment 130938

View attachment 130939

View attachment 130940

View attachment 130941
I have never tried them. I just use bigrock tires on my Typhon 3s and they work fine. Haven't failed me... yet.

I have never tried them. I just use bigrock tires on my Typhon 3s and they work fine. Haven't failed me... yet.

How did you get the big rock wheels to fit? Did you put 14mm hubs on your typhon? Also curious if you installed a smaller pinion?

How did you get the big rock wheels to fit? Did you put 14mm hubs on your typhon? Also curious if you installed a smaller pinion?
Well, its a long story, I actually had a senton so it already had 14mm hubs. I just converted it to a Typhon. Yes, I put a 15T pinion on after a 20T from the senton. So it wouldn't be a change from the Typhon 3s tires. Although they are bigger than the typhon tires. You could lower the pinion to a 12T or 13T though. You can check my build thread if your interested.

I assume your blowing front tires as you said it happened out of the box...if so in all fairness no tire will withstand prolonged constant ballooning.. so intern falls back on the trigger finger using the throttle as an on/ off switch...

change the fluid in the center diff so all the power isn't bleeding to the front..

It would also be a good thing to change the front and rear diff fluid to a thicker weight as well to prevent L/R diff outs..

Good luck..

I assume your blowing front tires as you said it happened out of the box...if so in all fairness no tire will withstand prolonged constant ballooning.. so intern falls back on the trigger finger using the throttle as an on/ off switch...

change the fluid in the center diff so all the power isn't bleeding to the front..

It would also be a good thing to change the front and rear diff fluid to a thicker weight as well to prevent L/R diff outs..

Good luck..

The first one was the rear left tire, this last time it was the front left. In straight lines I don’t use full throttle until I’m moving a bit, then I roll into it. Most of my cornering I can manage by just feathering between 1/3-1/2 throttle with an occasional blip if I need to get some more counter going. I like to ‘think’ it’s not totally on me because I am mindful of my finger position and aware that ballooning is bad for the tires. Also why I vented them to help

I’ve had diff fluid on back order for a bit now, it’s just the waiting game until it come back in stock and ships.

I drive it on low cut field grass, gravel, and this last time was my first trip to beach with it. The blow outs happened on the grass and hard packed sand. Are those surfaces just typically harder in the tire? I would have expected the gravel to be the tire killer.

I've had 2 hard packs through mine no issues. I'd say need a little more throttle control. People say the same about stock erevo 2.0 tires but I've yet to blow one of those

my advice is try putting silicone earplugs in the center diff it will lock it extremely tight
these are what I use
the quantity is changeable but I am pretty sure these were the cheapest
also those are typhon tires and I have talion which is bigger in diameter (I think) and bigger in width (I think)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back