Big Rock Are the proline shocks worth the $??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

basher27

Reaction score
I was looking to upgrade my shocks for something that would be really good for off road as I took the stock shocks and lowered them to use for more of a on road environment. I saw these pro line shocks which got really good reviews but I’m having a hard time spending the money. Has anyone put them on their big rock as I’m curious what your thoughts are? Lastly if there is another set of shocks that cost less money that for the most part bolts on directly with no modifications. Would you mind including a link? Thank you everyone.

I purchased the Mojave fronts and OC6s fronts, they are coming in sometime this week, I’ll let you know how it goes! All you need is the axial bushing here.

Last edited:
I've had good luck with my hot racing shock bodies. Proline is good stuff, but usually more expensive than it is good.

The long-time go-to has been 6s shocks with the appropriate size, usually typhon shocks for the 3s rigs.

IMO, though they are smaller, Team Associated shocks are the tits. You have to a-la-carte the pieces to build them and they come out to over $100/pair, but they are some of the best shocks on the market. I think you'd be looking at shocks from the SC6.2 or RC8B3.

I think their Prospec Scaler series are worth it on a crawler. Their Big Bore SC shocks are good, but 6s shocks are arguably better and IMO parts are cheaper/easier to find as long as Jenny's has them in stock. That said, they're still very good.

I was looking to upgrade my shocks for something that would be really good for off road as I took the stock shocks and lowered them to use for more of a on road environment. I saw these pro line shocks which got really good reviews but I’m having a hard time spending the money. Has anyone put them on their big rock as I’m curious what your thoughts are? Lastly if there is another set of shocks that cost less money that for the most part bolts on directly with no modifications. Would you mind including a link? Thank you everyone.
I have them on my big rock they work great. Let me be honest half the upgrades we buy aren’t exactly worth the money but they make a difference so people buy them. There good just depends if you want to spend the cash.

Last edited:
I purchased the Mojave fronts and OC6s rears, they are coming in sometime this week, I’ll let you know how it goes! All you need is the axial bushing here.
I would think Oc6s rears are huge for the 3s lineup? I would imagine oc6s fronts would work better on the rear but maybe I'm wrong.

My big issues with the Proline shocks are the price and the fact that they do not sell any parts for the shocks, at least last time I looked they didn't have any, so if something breaks or wears out you have to buy an entire set of shocks........

My big issues with the Proline shocks are the price and the fact that they do not sell any parts for the shocks, at least last time I looked they didn't have any, so if something breaks or wears out you have to buy an entire set of shocks........
For a $140 set of shocks, I would hope they have parts available for them. 6s shocks all the way!

If you're upgrading for on-road performance, I'm not sure you'll see much of a difference to justify the price. The stock 3s shocks already perform well. If you're upgrading for durability, definitely go for 1/8 scale shocks over the Prolines.

The Prolines are 14mm bore, 1/8 shocks are 16mm. Also, the Proline shafts are 3.5mm, 1/8 shocks are more durable at 4mm. While 1/8 shocks are slightly more expensive if you pay full retail, you can get them MUCH cheaper from Jenny's RC. You'll also have to get the Axial bushings and use some washers to space the rod ends, but still much cheaper than the Prolines.

Kraton front shocks for the rear, $26.47
https://jennysrc.com/collections/ar...st-assembled-dampers-springs-red-new-ar106040
Mojave front shocks for the front, $30.47
https://jennysrc.com/collections/ar...ks-assembled-dampers-springs-4mm-hd-ara7604v2

I've never used the Proline shocks. I think they actually may be slightly shorter than stock Arrma 3s shocks, which would be good for on-road use. Also, you won't have to use washer spacers, which do slightly throw off the shock alignment. If you're not snapping shock shafts, you may not care about increased 4mm durability. But again, I have not seen anyone that's used them report a major performance improvement, so they may not be worth it. As I've often said, if you're not having durability issues, the stock 3s shocks work quite well.

Last edited:
If you're upgrading for on-road performance, I'm not sure you'll see much of a difference to justify the price. The stock 3s shocks already perform well. If you're upgrading for durability, definitely go for 1/8 scale shocks over the Prolines.

The Prolines are 14mm bore, 1/8 shocks are 16mm. Also, the Proline shafts are 3.5mm, 1/8 shocks are more durable at 4mm. While 1/8 shocks are slightly more expensive if you pay full retail, you can get them MUCH cheaper from Jenny's RC. You'll also have to get the Axial bushings and use some washers to space the rod ends, but still much cheaper than the Prolines.

Kraton front shocks for the rear, $26.47
https://jennysrc.com/collections/ar...st-assembled-dampers-springs-red-new-ar106040
Mojave front shocks for the front, $30.47
https://jennysrc.com/collections/ar...ks-assembled-dampers-springs-4mm-hd-ara7604v2

I've never used the Proline shocks. I think they actually may be slightly shorter than stock Arrma 3s shocks, which would be good for on-road use. Also, you won't have to use washer spacers, which do slightly throw off the shock alignment. If you're not snapping shock shafts, you may not care about increased 4mm durability. But again, I have not seen anyone that's used them report a major performance improvement, so they may not be worth it. As I've often said, if you're not having durability issues, the stock 3s shocks work quite well.
New to the group and just came across your response. I want to try the Kraton/Mojave setup you suggest, I understand the axial bushings placement just not the washer placement. Could you explain, thank you in advance. Sorry for the rookie question.

When it comes to PL shocks. No go for me. Said this before elsewhere. Flame me if you want.:LOL:
I am gilted. Been there already. Cust Support sucks. Now that HH owns them. Who knows? I do know I wasted over $130 on Leaking PL shocks. Support screwed me over, wasted a few months of my time shipping them back etc, to no avail. Never even looked them over. They knew they were junk. No parts support either. Could not even get me O-rings for shocks that were released barely 6 months old. Had no parts for them. All four shocks were leakers out the box once filled.. They leaked just sitting new on my bench. Noticed it Overnight and the next day I was fuming. Poor outsourced QC. Which they even admitted in the end. And they still would not refund me. Purchased direct from PL. I was better off getting them from AMZ or something. Better return policy as it turns out.
PL does bodies and wheels. All that I will buy now. That is what they do best IMHO.

Last edited:
New to the group and just came across your response. I want to try the Kraton/Mojave setup you suggest, I understand the axial bushings placement just not the washer placement. Could you explain, thank you in advance. Sorry for the rookie question.
Since the Kraton/Mojave shocks are wider than stock, they can rub the driveshafts, especially in the front. So, you put washers on the screw that attaches the bottom of the shocks to the arms. Putting washers in between the shock bottoms and the arms pushes the shock away from the driveshaft. I use 2 washers in front, 1 in the rear.

Since the Kraton/Mojave shocks are wider than stock, they can rub the driveshafts, especially in the front. So, you put washers on the screw that attaches the bottom of the shocks to the arms. Putting washers in between the shock bottoms and the arms pushes the shock away from the driveshaft. I use 2 washers in front, 1 in the rear.
Ahh, gotcha, thanks for the quick response.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back