are there any benefits to 2wd

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Solution
so are there any benefits to 2wd over 4wd when it comes to offroad rc
That depends on what kind of off-roading you are doing. Gravel, dirt, grass, 2WD works ok, but, for rough ground, mud, sand, rocks, 4WD is best. It also depends on what kind of vehicle you are asking about. A 2WD monster truck would do better than a 4WD buggy in mildly rough terrain, but, even on smooth, soft dirt, a 4WD SCT would be better than a 2WD SCT, and a 2WD MT would be better than either SCT.
so are there any benefits to 2wd over 4wd when it comes to offroad rc
That depends on what kind of off-roading you are doing. Gravel, dirt, grass, 2WD works ok, but, for rough ground, mud, sand, rocks, 4WD is best. It also depends on what kind of vehicle you are asking about. A 2WD monster truck would do better than a 4WD buggy in mildly rough terrain, but, even on smooth, soft dirt, a 4WD SCT would be better than a 2WD SCT, and a 2WD MT would be better than either SCT.

Solution
Not too sure abt the 2wd being better than the sct. but 4wd is usually preferred and better! I will say in the rain I remove my drive shaft and let her ripppp

Not too sure abt the 2wd being better than the sct. but 4wd is usually preferred and better! I will say in the rain I remove my drive shaft and let her ripppp
I have to agree with you here, my Senton 3s 4x4 BLX handles much better and would run circles around my 2wd Ecx Ruckus.
I got 4wd so if I want to do 2wd I can just disconnect the drive axel thingys in the front and then it's 2wd. It doesn't change the weight tho.
In theory yes, but the front suspension geometry on a 2wd is much different than a 4wd, most 4wd cars handle like ? when run in 2wd.

I have to agree with you here, my Senton 3s 4x4 BLX handles much better and would run circles around my 2wd Ecx Ruckus.
Except, the Senton isnt exactly a true SCT. I own several SCT's, in 2 and 4WD, and the Senton stock sits higher off the ground than any of them, including my DHK Hunter and Associated SC10, not to mention my Losi 22S and Arrma Fury 2WD's. I have said since i first seen it the Senton is a hybrid. It always looked like a cross between the Granite and the Typhon, and handles quite differently than either my Hunter or my SC10. That ground clearance makes a bit of a difference off road. Being a basher probably has something to do with that as well.
I got 4wd so if I want to do 2wd I can just disconnect the drive axel thingys in the front and then it's 2wd. It doesn't change the weight tho.
Typically, when i try that, it just breaks stuff.

Driving a high powered 2wd is much more challeging than a 4wd and it's actually is quite a lot of fun mastering that.
Maintenance is also very easy, 1 diff instead of 3.

But as stated above 4wd has much more grip.

Driving a high powered 2wd is much more challeging than a 4wd and it's actually is quite a lot of fun mastering that.
Maintenance is also very easy, 1 diff instead of 3.

But as stated above 4wd has much more grip.
Depends on your definition of fun. Have the wrong set up on a 2WD, and it goes from fun to a nightmare. I had a Castle Sidewinder SCT in my Arrma Fury, and it was way too much motor for it, so i ended up dumping the 3800KV 3660, and dropping in a 3500KV 3650. It made it much more enjoyable to run.

Liberty hit the nail on the head.
I've got a 2WD brushless Baja on 12S and it requires disk brakes for the front, it wheelies (which is fun till it flips itself).
Hard and loose ground is basically impossible to steer on and if it's a high power system you'll find yourself breaking wheels loose and sliding very easily.

As previously stated the diffs is a huge benefit, you only have to worry about one and depending upon how it is laid out, it could be significantly more durable, Bajas for example have straight cut gears and there's basically no breaking it from my experience.

Depends on your definition of fun. Have the wrong set up on a 2WD, and it goes from fun to a nightmare. I had a Castle Sidewinder SCT in my Arrma Fury, and it was way too much motor for it, so i ended up dumping the 3800KV 3660, and dropping in a 3500KV 3650. It made it much more enjoyable to run.
Having a wrong setup on a 4wd can also be a nightmare.
Both have their pro’s and con’s.
Powersliding my Baja Flux on a wide open terrain is so much fun. And terrain crushing with my X-Maxx too.
I do think very light rc’s with 2wd and too much power are quite tricky, you need some weight.

Last edited:
Apparently learning to drive 2wd will make you a better driver overall.
Yeah... one would think...

I started the hobby with a Losi XXX-NT, 2wd nitro stadium truck. I drove that thing for 4 years as my only RC, just bashing of course. I replaced soooo many arms, towers, hinge pin blocks, c-hubs on that thing... if I didn't have at least a full set of arms and towers when I left for a run, my day would have been obscenely short. By the time I got my first 4wd truck, I was better at getting it running, keeping it running and fixing it... but my driving skill, if I was better, was negligible.

Pretty sure I just have painfully bad depth perception... but the lack of 4wd stopping power and steering didn't help the situation, especially when on dirt.

I have to assume that if you run on a track, 2wd would train you to drive better, but as a basher that has only really ever saw a track on youtube, 4wd will likely be a more pleasant experience.

I have a little SCT track in my back garden which i can dream/drive with my eyes closed. With any of my 4wd SCT trucks it gets boring fast and none of my mates can keep up with me. But when i take my (2wd) hpi blitz it way more challenging for me, i need to take those perfect lines in corners, brake on time. In the end i can easily match the same lap times. I like how shocked my mates are when they just managed to do a few clean laps with a 4wd and then try a 2wd.

My electro convered FG 1/5 scale would be way more fun if it was 4wd. Braking is definitely a big issue there due to it's mass.

Back