Are there different types of mx28 tires?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simonphelps

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
I have a typhon 6s and I am leaning towards getting some good quality 2.8's. I'm pretty new to everything so excuse the ignorance. Are there different types of proline badlands mx28? Some are labeled belted while others aren't. Some are labeled HP and others MT (is MT mounted MTD)
For example are these two different? If I can get these for $40 a pair I would rather do that than pay $54

Finally any other suggestions for tires that are a little bigger than stock that good quality belted and pre glued?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/202722156457?epid=24028860931&hash=item2f332e9fa9:g:MvoAAOSwK39dGOXB

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3131761179...=Pro-Line+Racing&_trksid=p2047675.c101224.m-1

First, the above links are for 12mm hexes. The Typhon 6s has 17mm. MT is monster truck/truggy. Typhon is a buggy.
HP means belted. I suggest you go to Prolines website for better information on these tires. Belted tires wont balloon, but are much more heavy.
Others may chime in with their picks.
I have a TLRT Typhon and would not consider putting Monster truck wheels on my 1/8 Buggy rig. I have Monster Truggy rigs here already..
Just me.

First, the above links are for 12mm hexes. The Typhon 6s has 17mm. MT is monster truck/truggy. Typhon is a buggy.
HP means belted. I suggest you go to Prolines website for better information on these tires. Belted tires wont balloon, but are much more heavy.
I have a TLRT Typhon and would not consider putting Monster truck wheels on my 1/8 Buggy rig. I have Monster Truggy rigs here already..
Just me.
⬆️ agreed on the MT (monster truck) mx28s on a typhon. I got a 3s typhon recently and have tried MT (monster truck) MX28s and a set of belted ST (Stadium Truck) MX28s. While the MT tires are fun, the STs are thinner and just feel better on a 3s buggy to me. I’ll put the MTs back on one of my monster trucks once I switch out the raid 17 mm hexs to 14mm. Just takes a while because I don’t use an electric driver (yet, it’s really helped alleviate the arthritis in my hands using them so much these last 8 months). Six screws on each tire is a bit of a pain but easier than not being able to swap them out at all.

The regular MX28s really mosh it up. Gearing for 70 top has been a little too fast for these, they balloon a lot if you cross the line. Dial back the gearing. But they bash and rip well. I think I'll get the belted version next time. I'm still bitter over spending $90 plus tax for the aluminum pro line wheel hubs. That's some bullchit, because you will break plastic hubs constantly. It's like a mandatory upgrade for the PL wheels, because the center plastic sucks doorknobs in public bathrooms.

My setup on my Truggified Typhon.

Belted MX28:

https://www.amainhobbies.com/prolin...k-m2-pro10174-10/p-qqqeqaeqlc2cqctz?v=1194130

with 17mm aluminium hex adapters

https://www.amainhobbies.com/prolin...-hex-adapters-2-pro6338-00/p-qqzztzwqhmzxactz

My inspiration: Rich Duperbash..

IMG_20211105_215412.jpg

IMG_20211108_080422.jpg

Just me.
The belted MX28 (PRO1017410) are lighter than the "non belted" MX28 (PRO1012510), about 30g.. ;)

The belted Mx28 are narrower..

@Deiglie, not my intent to split hairs with the 2 models shown above.... But they are 2 different size tires. Dimensionally. The Belted are much narrower. ( by almost 1/2") With a slightly smaller diameter. Hence they are lighter. Less material.
You are comparing apples to oranges. Only the tread remains similar. ( MX design) And the 2.8" wheels the same. (28 size) Apples to apples, Belted is always heavier. Proline revised this Belted tire. The original release was the same dimensions as the Non belted. And the Belted version was heavier. A complaint by many. As many complain in general that Belted tires are too heavy. This may not matter to most. IDK.
I don't like heavy wheels/Tires. Just me.
Just like with scale cars. Heavy wheels/tires suck. Less nimble overall.
For speed running Belted is worth the trade off perhaps. Regardless of weight.
:cool:

https://www.prolineracing.com/produ...tires-mounted-12mm-blk-raid-2/PRO1012510.html

https://www.prolineracing.com/produ...-tres-mounted-12mm-blk-raid-2/PRO1017410.html

Last edited:
@Deiglie, not my intent to split hairs with the 2 models shown above.... But they are 2 different size tires. Dimensionally. The Belted are much narrower. ( by almost 1/2") With a slightly smaller diameter. Hence they are lighter. Less material.
You are comparing apples to oranges. Only the tread remains similar. ( MX design) And the 2.8" wheels the same. (28 size) Apples to apples, Belted is always heavier. Proline revised this Belted tire. The original release was the same dimensions as the Non belted. And the Belted version was heavier. A complaint by many. As many complain in general that Belted tires are too heavy. This may not matter to most. IDK.
I don't like heavy wheels/Tires. Just me.
Just like with scale cars. Heavy wheels/tires suck. Less nimble overall.
For speed running Belted is worth the trade off perhaps. Regardless of weight.
:cool:

https://www.prolineracing.com/produ...tires-mounted-12mm-blk-raid-2/PRO1012510.html

https://www.prolineracing.com/produ...-tres-mounted-12mm-blk-raid-2/PRO1017410.html

As I also wrote, Belted MX28 is narrower..

Thought we were talking about the Mx28 that one can buy today, as thread starter asked about and linked to. Just me..

What was before I do not know, just compare the Mx28 tires you can buy today. Potato potato, IDK ;)

⬆️ agreed on the MT (monster truck) mx28s on a typhon. I got a 3s typhon recently and have tried MT (monster truck) MX28s and a set of belted ST (Stadium Truck) MX28s. While the MT tires are fun, the STs are thinner and just feel better on a 3s buggy to me. I’ll put the MTs back on one of my monster trucks once I switch out the raid 17 mm hexs to 14mm. Just takes a while because I don’t use an electric driver (yet, it’s really helped alleviate the arthritis in my hands using them so much these last 8 months). Six screws on each tire is a bit of a pain but easier than not being able to swap them out at all.
As I also wrote, Belted MX28 is narrower..

Thought we were talking about the Mx28 that one can buy today, as thread starter asked about and linked to. Just me..

What was before I do not know, just compare the Mx28 tires you can buy today. Potato potato, IDK ;)
Um…sure. The MT and ST MX28s can be bought currently. I only know because I have done so. Sounds like your potatoes are a bit confused.

Um…sure. The MT and ST MX28s can be bought currently. I only know because I have done so. Sounds like your potatoes are a bit confused.
Okey.. not according to prolineracing.com. Maybe someone has potato leftovers. IDK

Sorry, just wanted to help treadstarter with the differences of those he asked about.. I´m out.

@Deiglie , I understand your point . Absolutely. Just when I shop wheels and tires , I compare based on dimensional size. first. Belted versus non belted kind of confuses the picture for many. Weight differences aside, Get what will fit proper on your rig.

Okey.. not according to prolineracing.com. Maybe someone has potato leftovers. IDK

Sorry, just wanted to help treadstarter with the differences of those he asked about.. I´m out.
I’ll just leave this here since you’re… out.
The belted, thinner version is 2.1 inches wide. The other version is 2.7 inches wide.
Yes, they refer to them both as MT and it takes a bit of reading to actually note the width difference (not just glancing at the headline) and both are available for purchase. So there you go, straight from the proline website.

There is nothing wrong with trying to help somebody out by providing information, as long as the information is accurate.

E6A22BC3-6A68-4A99-9950-7D2511E4C7ED.png

B8A8AB0B-F70B-4956-9609-463A145B7B97.png

Thanks for pointing out the width difference. I really like how fat the beltless ones are, they handle great, but they balloon all stoopid. I was thinking about buying belteds next, but I have to decide how I feel about the narrower profile. I don't want them to be edgy and tippy in the grass like the Typhon tires are. Are 5" bash-quality tires in a small niche?

Thanks for pointing out the width difference. I really like how fat the beltless ones are, they handle great, but they balloon all stoopid. I was thinking about buying belteds next, but I have to decide how I feel about the narrower profile. I don't want them to be edgy and tippy in the grass like the Typhon tires are. Are 5" bash-quality tires in a small niche?
My 3s typhon definitely is more tippy in the grass with the belted MX28s. Those tires have so much traction. I’m actually going to put the stock tires back on it after I fix it tomorrow morning. I have run the unbelted wider MX28s and the thinner belted ones but I never really tried out the stock tires, so I’d like to compare for fun.

I’d really love to try my stock Vorteks tires on the typhon but I’d have to get an adapter or something, so I’ll put them on my wife’s big rock instead to see what they feel like with the long chassis and wide arms. If I like them on the big rock then I’ll go through the effort of fitting them on the Typhon.

Is there an adapter that would allow me to run 14 mm exes on the typhon? Because I’d like to also test stock granite tires and for no reason other than curiosity, stock big rock tires. I guess I could throw on big rock drive shafts, right?

The belted MX28 (PRO1017410) are lighter than the "non belted" MX28 (PRO1012510), about 30g.. ;)

The belted Mx28 are narrower..
Thanks for the links and valuable info. I'm very new to the hobby and currently running stock pinion. I wanted to get into the hobby slow so I also only have 4s batteries. (I didn't want to jump the gun and go straight for a 6s car when I haven't had a rc since 30 years ago.

The potato apples to oranges discussion is helping me out even though I imagine you guys aren't excited about the goofy disagreement.

A few more questions for you or anyone else.

With that being said I assume ballooning shouldn't be as much of a problem only running 4s correct?

I also would like to keep the weight as low as possible (while purchasing aluminum 17mm hex's) and getting 2.8's. Although belted tires are usually heavier these ones seem to be lighter because they are not as wide. As I assume the ballooning won't be as much of a problem with NonBelted tires if I'm only running 4s I lean towards those because they appear to give more control for flips and may keep the typhoon from flipping upside down on tight turns? If there were Non belted tires that came in 2.10'' I would go with those but that appears to not be a proline option.

As I learn and grow, I plan on some of the weaker parts that are stock will break? As these break I plan getting replacements that are stronger than the stock parts. With this being said I'm planning on 12mm extensions. Is there any way to know if the nonbelted 2.7 wide or the belted 2.1 wide will fit on my typhoon with the 12mm extensions?

Are there other good 2.8's that are quality or lighter and will get the job done.

I hope someone reads all these questions and can give me a good attempt at answering them? Thanks ahead of time.

I’ll just leave this here since you’re… out.
The belted, thinner version is 2.1 inches wide. The other version is 2.7 inches wide.
Yes, they refer to them both as MT and it takes a bit of reading to actually note the width difference (not just glancing at the headline) and both are available for purchase. So there you go, straight from the proline website.

There is nothing wrong with trying to help somebody out by providing information, as long as the information is accurate.

View attachment 179657

View attachment 179658

Can't let this go. 🙈

Do not understand what you are referring to, what have I misinformed about?
We write exactly the same, please read over what I have written. (and what Src wrote about "The original release was the same dimensions as the Non belted")

Screenshot_20211113_072306.jpg

Can't let this go. 🙈

Do not understand what you are referring to, what have I misinformed about?
We write exactly the same, please read over what I have written. (and what Src wrote about "The original release was the same dimensions as the Non belted")

View attachment 179712
No worries bud, I’ll look thru later and see what I missed. I’ve no reason for leaving you feeling off. Just…it’s Saturday morning and my kid is bouncing around like a rubber super ball so give me awhile 🥴
While the MT tires are fun, the STs
Well, since I’m sitting here ow on ice and heat (I can’t bounce anymore, tried and failed) waiting for pain meds to kick in…I’ll look all over blurry-eyed and such.

Maybe part of the confusion is my own way of differentiating between the tires? I call them ST cause they are thinner (think I saw it somewhere and it stuck). But yeah, they technically are MT according to proline.

I didn’t know there was a wide belted version previously released that they stopped making. That was before I bought my first set (thinner belted ones) a couple months back. My research failed me there.

And yes I have a 3s typhon, not 6s (yours looks nice by the way) so it’s like comparing big apples to little apples.

Honestly that all I can make out. Others may point out any inconsistencies I missed. I depend on that really…if I post something and razor or src or any of the other veterans etc in the hobby point out my error, I truly appreciate it. It’s helped me immensely with my own cache of brain stored info. So no worries man, all is well. I’m also real bitchy in the evening when pain spikes hit hard.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back