Are there really no tires that can take hard asphalt driving for a couple days?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiamiTJ

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 6s
Hi all!

So I have a Typhon 6s BLX that is geared with a 20t pinion and runs on 6s/100c/6000ma battery.

I run this buggy hard. Most of it on my street with my neighbors (all guys n their 30s- 40s like me with RCs) just running made up tracks that put us through asphalt, cobble stone, manholes, and sewer grates. We race hard and are competitive but it's getting too expensive. Between the surface and power sliding turns, I go through a set of tires every 3 packs, or less. I've searched around and it seems recommendations are - get out of the asphalt...

My stock tires lasted 20 minutes
My BSR 2x purples are missing chunks after 2 packs

Any recommendations on what tires I should try next?

Thanks in advance.

I second the GRP S5 or S7 for summer time running. You can go softer for colder months. I only run up to 4S but my S2 Slicks have held up really well.

Running hard costs more. Tone it down a bit, till your wallet can catch up;) Part of the hobby.

What it all boils down to it is:
Evaluate your priorities and budget more money towards tires if the fun factor is worth it for you in the end.
Try racing 1:1 cars on the weekends and you'll soon realize that tires, fuel and nickel & dime maintenance, is part of the all encompassing, "you gotta pay to play" analogy, but for what we do in 8th scale, the cost is drastically reduced.

https://www.amazon.com/EYESKY-Vehic...Z2YT7NPFT64&psc=1&refRID=8B8EWSW0TZ2YT7NPFT64

At least they are cheap to replace. Looks like a rally tire too.
Below, these should work in the sand at the beach and snow
.https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KO83XV0/ref=sspa_dk_detail_6?psc=1

Last edited:
I’m glad I’m not the only one. I’m 3 packs in (on 4s) and my rears are about done. I need to find a bashing spot that’s not asphalt asap

https://www.amazon.com/EYESKY-Vehic...Z2YT7NPFT64&psc=1&refRID=8B8EWSW0TZ2YT7NPFT64

At least they are cheap to replace. Looks like a rally tire too.
Below, these should work in the sand at the beach and snow
.https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KO83XV0/ref=sspa_dk_detail_6?psc=1

View attachment 44609

Get a set of foams. Drive a fairly clean smooth surface like paved cement. You will get a tad more life. Hopefully no chunking though. Great for serious fast speed runs if that's your thing. We need a harder compound to last alot longer.
I just don't know how you would benefit from a set of Paddle tires on this rig..:unsure: for the sand/snow?
Ralley tires . Never seen a benefit. Maybe for someone.

Last edited:
Hi all!

So I have a Typhon 6s BLX that is geared with a 20t pinion and runs on 6s/100c/6000ma battery.

I run this buggy hard. Most of it on my street with my neighbors (all guys n their 30s- 40s like me with RCs) just running made up tracks that put us through asphalt, cobble stone, manholes, and sewer grates. We race hard and are competitive but it's getting too expensive. Between the surface and power sliding turns, I go through a set of tires every 3 packs, or less. I've searched around and it seems recommendations are - get out of the asphalt...

My stock tires lasted 20 minutes
My BSR 2x purples are missing chunks after 2 packs

Any recommendations on what tires I should try next?

Thanks in advance.

In my opinion, the 20t is the culprit. I did the same and ruin tires. I've split belted SRCs, Duratrax that are wrapped came unglued, the new PL Trenchers belted came unglued. I'm taking it down to 18t at least soon when I rebuild diffs. Have you worked on the diffs yet? Stock fluid is too thin for 20t as well imo. It's caused me frustration and I'm almost ready to sell the Typhon because of all this. It's my fault though because I know I have thin diff fluid and haven't done the necessary to balance all around.

I don't think any skinny Typhon dirt tire will last on the street.

My last set of tire lasted 2 months because i did the idiot on the street with wheelies non stop mostly for testing the stupid slipper clutch i might unglue them idk how yet for dboots backflips lps

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    338.4 KB · Views: 50
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back