Are these two Arrma turnbuckles the same?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hector_Fisher

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Kraton EXB
Besides the obvious steel coating/plating on the surface, i think maybe this is the question to ask: is all arrma "steel" the same?
https://www.amainhobbies.com/arrma-5x50mm-steel-turnbuckle-2-ara330214/p409603
https://www.amainhobbies.com/arrma-typhon-6s-blx-5x50mm-steel-turnbuckle-2-ara330663/p1237403

This is for a mod i'm doing to another non-Arrma RC of mine, so basically any M5x50mm turnbuckle will do. I'm upgrading from the ~4mm ones that are stock on my truck. Debating if the higher priced ones would be any better than the cheaper ones.

So is the EXB metal actually any better?

Good question. I see the black steel is compatible to 6s vehicles while the chrome is for 3s. Unfortunately that doesn't tell us much. As @zerocool135 suggested, the 6s EXB'S come with the chromed versions, but with these 2 examples the chrome is referenced as 3s compatible? More confusion from Arrma..shocker!? LOL
I'd say the silver or chrome should resist rusting for longer than the black, but which is stronger?🤷‍♂️
Me being me.. I'd pick whichever is cheaper and call it a day, LOL.
So is the EXB metal actually any better?
I say nay..

Good question. I see the black steel is compatible to 6s vehicles while the chrome is for 3s. Unfortunately that doesn't tell us much. As @zerocool135 suggested, the 6s EXB'S come with the chromed versions, but with these 2 examples the chrome is referenced as 3s compatible? More confusion from Arrma..shocker!? LOL
I'd say the silver or chrome should resist rusting for longer than the black, but which is stronger?🤷‍♂️
Me being me.. I'd pick whichever is cheaper and call it a day, LOL.

I say nay..
Confusion from Arrma???? you must be a heretic.

And DiD yOu SaY cHeAp!!!??? 🤑 Yeah that's me in a nutshell. The only reason I'm considering the cheaper option in the first place! :ROFLMAO: It's for the kaiju, so even if the black ones from Arrma are monkey metal, they are thicker monkey metal than the kaiju ones, so they should last longer! I have the silver ones running in the rear already, so maybe i'll get the black and compare the difference in longevity.

Besides the obvious steel coating/plating on the surface, i think maybe this is the question to ask: is all arrma "steel" the same?
https://www.amainhobbies.com/arrma-5x50mm-steel-turnbuckle-2-ara330214/p409603
https://www.amainhobbies.com/arrma-typhon-6s-blx-5x50mm-steel-turnbuckle-2-ara330663/p1237403

This is for a mod i'm doing to another non-Arrma RC of mine, so basically any M5x50mm turnbuckle will do. I'm upgrading from the ~4mm ones that are stock on my truck. Debating if the higher priced ones would be any better than the cheaper ones.
The EXB set appears to be plated and, as such, should be more resistant to oxidation. I think that whether the EXB turnbuckles are better or not will depend in large part on your maintenance habits. If you drive in the wet a lot but aren't keen to get the car at least rinsed off and dried after you get home, spending the extra couple of bucks on the EXB units would definitely make sense. If you're anal retentive about taking care of your car and go the extra step of removing surface rust as you find it and hitting the exposed steel parts of your car with some form of water dispersion...the plain steel buckles should be just fine.

And DiD yOu SaY cHeAp!!!??? 🤑 Yeah that's me in a nutshell. The only reason I'm considering the cheaper option in the first place! :ROFLMAO: It's for the kaiju, so even if the black ones from Arrma are monkey metal, they are thicker monkey metal than the kaiju ones, so they should last longer! I have the silver ones running in the rear already, so maybe i'll get the black and compare the difference in longevity.
That shouldn't be sintered monkey mulch. Looks like your typical 10.9 steel.

I knew it was for the kaiju!! HaHa 👍
I can't remember what I used on mine for upper arms/camber links, but they were a tad long, I cut them down a bit.
I ended up with 2 steel and 2 titanium..
My kaiju is a true mutt, it's got parts from more rc brands than I can remember LOL. HPI, Thunder Tiger, Xray..🤷‍♂️👌🤣🤣🍻
Exibit A, Thunder Tiger Bushmaster shocks.

Attachments

• 20220318_153444.jpg
    20220318_153444.jpg
    337.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 20220318_153450.jpg
    20220318_153450.jpg
    289.8 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
The EXB set appears to be plated and, as such, should be more resistant to oxidation. I think that whether the EXB turnbuckles are better or not will depend in large part on your maintenance habits. If you drive in the wet a lot but aren't keen to get the car at least rinsed off and dried after you get home, spending the extra couple of bucks on the EXB units would definitely make sense. If you're anal retentive about taking care of your car and go the extra step of removing surface rust as you find it and hitting the exposed steel parts of your car with some form of water dispersion...the plain steel buckles should be just fine.

That shouldn't be sintered monkey mulch. Looks like your typical 10.9 steel.
Great point. I guess i should have considered that this is probably made from something like 1/4" round stock or similar. Not sintered into a specific shape like gears or more specialty pieces would be. So something like 10.9 (at least) is much more plausible 👍 You think even Redcat uses similar material?

I had considered oxidation, but ehhh.... Caring takes time and money. Having little of both of those, I'm resultingly too cheap to care :ROFLMAO:
I knew it was for the kaiju!! HaHa 👍
I can't remember what I used on mine for upper arms/camber links, but they were a tad long, I cut them down a bit.
I ended up with 2 steel and 2 titanium..
My kaiju is a true mutt, it's got parts from more rc brands than I can remember LOL. HPI, Thunder Tiger, Xray..🤷‍♂️👌🤣🤣🍻
Exibit A, Thunder Tiger Bushmaster shocks.
Ha, should have just put that it was for the Kaiju in the beginning. I don't really care what brand it is so long as it works!!!
I'm okay with the Kaiju being my mutt. It takes the lion's share of my abuse, and kind of has that "underdog" association. Kind of cool that I can tell people my most abused RC is a Redcat :ROFLMAO:

Great point. I guess i should have considered that this is probably made from something like 1/4" round stock or similar. Not sintered into a specific shape like gears or more specialty pieces would be. So something like 10.9 (at least) is much more plausible 👍 You think even Redcat uses similar material?

I had considered oxidation, but ehhh.... Caring takes time and money. Having little of both of those, I'm resultingly too cheap to care :ROFLMAO:

Ha, should have just put that it was for the Kaiju in the beginning. I don't really care what brand it is so long as it works!!!
I'm okay with the Kaiju being my mutt. It takes the lion's share of my abuse, and kind of has that "underdog" association. Kind of cool that I can tell people my most abused RC is a Redcat :ROFLMAO:
Yeah, when I break something, it's what do I have that will fix it now? LOL
"If it fits, it's fixed!!" 😉🤣🤣

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back