Are tire much better than they were before?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shingo

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
I was into RC about 20 years ago when I was a teenager and beside the very low capacity battery one of the thing I hated was the tire life. I would go thru a set of rear tire in about 6-7 sessions. I got back in the RC with a cheap car, I bought a granite 3s blx 4x4 and I just can't believe how tough these tire are. I have about 20 sessions so far on the tire and they barely show any sign of wear.

So was there like a big breakthrough in tires in the last 2 decades?

The car I had and still have can do about 40mph, it's not an insane amount of power.

20 years ago no such thing as a electric RC. All nitro. Now mostly electric.

I’d say tires are better now than 20 years ago. They have to be. The rc’s Are putting down 4 times more power. I have been going RC longer than that.

I’d say tires are better now than 20 years ago. They have to be. The rc’s Are putting down 4 times more power. I have been going RC longer than that.
This article says Traxxas has been making electric cars for just over 30 years.....Since 1987. They released their first nitro car in 1992.
https://rcroundup.com/radio-controlled/rc-cars/traxxas/

I agree though that with today's brushless systems that the tires have to improved. The older brushed vehicles didn't have the torque and speed that the new cars do.

No brushless maybe... but electric has been around much longer than the past 20 years.

I used to have issues keeping tires on my 2wd nitro stadium (xxx-nt) if I drove it at all on concrete/tarmac. Otherwise I stayed in the grass and a set of losi step pin tires would last me quite a while. Maybe a couple sets a summer. I never drove on a track though with hard pack.

I ran that truck only for 2 years, then I got into 4x4 MT's with the t-maxx/savage and others eventually. I just stopped using pin type tires that were for racing. Then later when I got a traxxas jato, I started having tire issues and went to a more MT type tread, or stayed off pavement again. I ran a set of 1/8th buggy badlands on it for quite a while and in the grass, they still lasted a very long time.

Anyway, I haven't noticed a huge difference in rubber compound. Just an understanding of where I can run what without chewing through tires all the time.

I had electric cars longer than 20 years ago.. just not brushless ?

Showing my age, that's twice in one day..??

Sorry I derailed your thread.

I had electric stuff. It took batteries. Lol. They were around but not any good. Lol. Batteries were bulky. Technology has made electric stuff top notch now. No need for nitro or gas imo. I don’t touch anything but my electric stuff now.

Sure, rubber and tire technology has grown by leaps and bounds. Look at all the super cars today and speeds of 200+ mph. A new Bugatti just clocked 307 mph. All the major 1:1 tires manufacturers are constantly developing advanced tire compounds and Im sure that technology trickles down to RC. ?

Did you say that just to "trigger" all us old folk?! :p :ROFLMAO:

My first proper electric R/c car a Tamiya Madcap from 1990 odd (that my old man bought me). This was it after I'd fitted one of the first electronic speed controllers I could get my hands on. ;)
madcap.jpeg

Did you say that just to "trigger" all us old folk?! :p:ROFLMAO:

My first proper electric R/c car a Tamiya Madcap from 1990 odd (that my old man bought me). This was it after I'd fitted one of the first electronic speed controllers I could get my hands on. ;)View attachment 48778
I kept trying to clean that piece of hair off my screen.?‍♂️

Tyres have certainly improved over the years, I still think they are a bit slow in releasing stronger, tougher, belted tyres for some of the heavier 6s cars like the Typhon though. The stock Katars are more a 3S buggy tyre IMO..

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back