Arrma 1/10 4wd Hot Racing shock build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoss81

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Kraton 6s
Like many if you I have gone back and forth about what to do with my crappy leaking factory Granite shocks. No matter how I have tried to rebuild them they just never can consistently stay sealed.

I've tried the cheap ebay shocks and they worked for a while but when I lost a spring retainer with no easy way to buy a replacement I went back to the drawing board.

I, as a rule of thumb, am NOT a fan of most Hot Racing products. However, they seem to be the most affordable option to possibly solve this issue. So, I pulled the trigger.

My factory rear shocks were destroyed trying to prevent them from leaking. So I had to buy the following part numbers to complete the rear shocks:

Rears - Hot Racing ATF155AR08
Arrma AR330537
Arrma AR715008
Arrma AR709012
Arrma AR330451
Arrma AR330515 - I had a pack of these laying around but I believe this is the right part#

Step 1: installing the plastic sleeve, o-rings, and retaining disc onto the cartridge.

This is all fairly easy, there are no instructions so I had to fiddle with it until i figured out the right order.
1. Small plastic sleeve smallest side down
2. Both o-rings
3. Retaining disc smallest side down.
See pictures for orientation.

I have always used a dab of Vaseline when assembling shocks. Their are better products but that has always worked for me. Just a little bit on the orings help ease the installation of the shock shaft.

From here, fill with oil. I went with team associated 42.5 because it's all I had. I didn't have enough 50wt to complete the shocks and the next highest i had was 80, which i think is too much for such a light truck.

The only difficult part of this build I had was getting the o-ring retaining disc seated into the bottom of the shock body. It is very tight. I used my 1.5mm hex wrench to gently push along each edge until it was seated. Once this is seated though, the rest of the process is easy.

The last note is that you are going to overfill these shocks. I had to bleed a good bit out of the screws to get it to where I could have full travel of the shock.

Assembly thoughts are they look promising. The o-rings seemed to be of good quality, they fit snugly into the cartridge. We will see how they do after some abuse. They certainly look better than the factory ones.

20200602_084641.jpg

20200602_084650.jpg

20200602_084745.jpg

20200602_084753.jpg

20200602_084814.jpg

20200602_085134.jpg

20200602_085221.jpg

20200602_084953.jpg

20200602_085035.jpg

20200602_084841.jpg

20200602_084926.jpg

20200602_085623.jpg

20200602_085841.jpg

Last edited:
Installed pictures.

Attachments

• 20200602_094113.jpg
    20200602_094113.jpg
    314.5 KB · Views: 67
  • 20200602_094108.jpg
    20200602_094108.jpg
    358.9 KB · Views: 68
Yes, they solve the leaking completely, i'm almost a year on my shocks and i never refilled the oil in them.

One thing to note is that the length is not compeletly like stock, and so it will change the handling, better for jumps but worst for turns.

Nice!

I rebuilt the stock one yesterday. I bought slightly larger o-rings and replaced one of the the two o-rings with the larger one (the cap would pop off with two larger o-rings, so I replaced only one). We'll see how that goes. That HR upgrade looks like an interesting solution if my mod doesn't work out.

Nice!

I rebuilt the stock one yesterday. I bought slightly larger o-rings and replaced one of the the two o-rings with the larger one (the cap would pop off with two larger o-rings, so I replaced only one). We'll see how that goes. That HR upgrade looks like an interesting solution if my mod doesn't work out.
I had the most luck with the stock shocks using teflon plumbers tape to wrap the threads. I got a little over-zealous though on the last attempt and put too much on and messed the shock body all up.

I just got my granite V2 back together with the hot racing shock bodies. All I have to say is WOW. Perhaps my stock shocks were leaking from day 1, but I don’t remember the truck handling this well out of the box... I did also wind us using the springs from my eBay big bore shocks, as they were progressive springs. They have a lower spring rate closer to the ends of the springs, and get more firm the more they are compressed. I also rebuilt the front and rear with team losing racing 50wt. Haven’t gotten to run a large amount, due to the front bearing in the motor being wiped.... but they aren’t leaking yet, and I’ve got a ramp I built, that I can land a double backflip onto flat from.?. I would recommend the hot racing shock bodies.

4910F8F5-6DF0-4CD9-AA37-97D72D05D009.jpeg

7A004BFD-EC54-45BE-993F-6913FC9FB5A2.jpeg

I got some of these for my Granite BLX; haven’t installed them yet. One of the videos I came across on YouTube mentioned more of the piston was exposed and this made them more likely to bend. Has anyone else encountered this?

I got some of these for my Granite BLX; haven’t installed them yet. One of the videos I came across on YouTube mentioned more of the piston was exposed and this made them more likely to bend. Has anyone else encountered this?
I just broke 2 of the stock arrma shock rod ends/spring perches, and no harm to the shock shaft whatsoever. One was front left, the other was right rear.

I put these on my sons brcc and they perform a little better then stock and don’t leak! I think I used 60wt if I’m not mistaken. I think that’s all I had.

Sort of a long term review update. I mentioned this thread to a person on Reddit and it reminded me I should do an update.

The shocks are still great, they haven't broken or leaked a drop of oil since I installed them. The front shocks combined with the factory arrma shock shaft is a little on the long side. I should probably use a rubber spacer or something to shorten them up a bit.

Outside of that, they are fantastic.

Nice!

What size o ring did you try?

Agree with your review.
The front shocks combined with the factory arrma shock shaft is a little on the long side. I should probably use a rubber spacer or something to shorten them up a bit.
I used 1 o-ring on the rear and 2 on the front to shorten them. installed below the piston (i used the old o-rings i had from my stock shocks).

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back