IMPORTANT PLEASE READ. Arrma 6s, Arrma Mega 4x4, BLX 3s and BLX 4s shock information and upgrades.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You want to be able to pick up either end and not have the tires come off the ground immediately. It should slouch a little just sitting there. If it is being held up tightly, your springs or preload are too tight. When you land a jump, if it bounces on rebound that are too stiff or you have to thin of shock oil.
Jondilly what springs are you running on the front and what shocks do you have on the front? Referring to 4S vehicles.

Jondilly what springs are you running on the front and what shocks do you have on the front? Referring to 4S vehicles.
I originally bought Typhon 6S shocks from JRC and found that the springs were way too soft. The truck sat below level with mid preload and a 4S pack in it. It would chassis slap from less than a foot drop and barely rebound.

So then I bought K6S springs, front and rear. It then sat better and still slaps from a 4ft drop, but had better rebound. Problem was, there was no droop or slouching. The shaft length of the Typhon 6S shocks was limiting down travel.

So I recently bought Talion shafts front and rear. It now has proper full down travel, sits up a little higher, and has good dampening and proper rebound.

I’m running 80W/1000cst Team Associated shock oil. I would have to weigh the thing with a 4S pack but I would think is a few pounds heavier than my Granite 3S. Mostly due to the larger tires and thicker suspension parts.

You can watch my YouTube video in the Sunday Funday thread if you want to see it in action. It took some abuse and ended up not finishing the day, but it seemed to do well when I landed on tires and not the wing. ???

3s are definitely lighter with lighter springs. Might as well try the 4s springs on the different shocks and see if you like it. Try 50wt oil in the rear, but not sure how the 6s shock pistions play with the oil in comparison to the stock 4s pistons.

Hi there!

Does the Traxxas O-Ring/X-Ring method you described make the Arrma Senton 3s BLX shocks maintenance free? Or do they "just" leak (a lot?) less?
I am not sure if the Version I have is V2 or V3, its one version "older" than the brand new ones, so I guess V2? Its the AR102668 with the tactic remote.
I am bashing a lot over short cut gras (bumpy) and doing not very high but "fast" jumps, maybe 1 - 1,5 feet high but more than 6 feet long jumps. And the shocks are leaking like cracy!
Either I need to do A LOT more maintenance, or the cold temperatures we got (not realy freezing but close) make them leak even more. Bought it brand new for christmas opend them just yesterday and now there is maybe just 10% of shockoil left in the shocks ...
If the O-Ring/X-Ring method doesn't seal them properly, or the earlier described "more preload on O-Ring through adding washers" wont do it either: are there any shocks that will fit, that are maintenance free? For example one of the ones described in the first post?
So far i do not have any mechanical issues with them (breaking/bending/...) I would just prefer shocks that wont leak ;)

I just bought a pair of ZD Racing 9116 08427 1/8 2.4G 4WD Rc Car shocks front and rears for my 3s ARRMA Typhon!
Here are the specs:
1585054570687.png

Front Shocks
Description:

Item Brand: ZD Racing
Item Number:8001
Item Name: Front Shock Absorber
Material: Aluminum alloy+plastic
Color:As the picture show
Size:
The total length of suspension:120mm
Diameter:25mm
Fixed aperture:3mm
Upper and lower fixed hole distance:110mm
Packaging Weight: About 100g
Fit for:
ZD Racing 9116 08427 1/8 2.4G 4WD Rc Car

Rear Shocks
Item Brand: ZD Racing
Item Number:8002
Item Name: Rear Shock Absorber
Material: Aluminum alloy+plastic
Color: As the picture show
Size:
The total length of suspension:143mm
Diameter:25mm
Fixed aperture:3mm
Upper and lower fixed hole distance:132mm
Packaging Weight: About 100g
Fit for:
ZD Racing 9116 08427 1/8 2.4G 4WD Rc Car

Hi there!

Does the Traxxas O-Ring/X-Ring method you described make the Arrma Senton 3s BLX shocks maintenance free? Or do they "just" leak (a lot?) less?
I am not sure if the Version I have is V2 or V3, its one version "older" than the brand new ones, so I guess V2? Its the AR102668 with the tactic remote.
I am bashing a lot over short cut gras (bumpy) and doing not very high but "fast" jumps, maybe 1 - 1,5 feet high but more than 6 feet long jumps. And the shocks are leaking like cracy!
Either I need to do A LOT more maintenance, or the cold temperatures we got (not realy freezing but close) make them leak even more. Bought it brand new for christmas opend them just yesterday and now there is maybe just 10% of shockoil left in the shocks ...
If the O-Ring/X-Ring method doesn't seal them properly, or the earlier described "more preload on O-Ring through adding washers" wont do it either: are there any shocks that will fit, that are maintenance free? For example one of the ones described in the first post?
So far i do not have any mechanical issues with them (breaking/bending/...) I would just prefer shocks that wont leak ;)
There is no version number really for the 4x4 platform if anything they are on V1.5 as the only things that have changed since release are the, spur gear, slipper pads, remote and the connector for the battery.

Hi there!

Think about it, why do they leak? Because they are not sealing properly. Why? Because the factory O-rings don't get a proper seal. So replace the o-rings with better o-rings that seal and stop the leaking. $3 fix.

So I did this and wanted to share, not really an upgrade but more of a cheap alternative to shock boots or covers. Had some leftover balloons used for balloon animal making from my nephew's birthday and got the idea of trying to cut one to use a shock boot and here's out it turned out as installed on the cheap 3s big bore eBay shocks. No idea if it will last but that's okay since I have like 100 of them in a bag that cost like 7 dollars.

20200324_153730.jpg

Thought it was kinda cool and clever and wanted to share.

Hi there!
Just wanted to thank jonUFO2 for the easy cheap plug and play fast fix of the leaky 3s BLX plastic shocks!!!!!
After a couple of weeks and several battery packs I can happily report that it works great! I can recommend this solution to the problem 100%!!!!
Thanks again!

Thanks for this thread. The Axial shock bushings recommended here worked great when upgrading my Granite with Tekno shocks. I also found another option. Silicone rubber tubing, 3mm ID, 4mm OD. It fits inside the Tekno pivot ball and perfectly fills in the space between the larger pivot ball and the Granite's upper shock mount screw.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06W2JW633/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I think that is similar to nitro fuel line but probably only costs 1/2 the price lol.

Hi jonUFO2,

thanks for the great tip on solving the leakage issue of the shocks. Would the same fix TRX2362 work on the shocks of the 4s line (4s kraton)?

kind regards

Hi jonUFO2,

thanks for the great tip on solving the leakage issue of the shocks. Would the same fix TRX2362 work on the shocks of the 4s line (4s kraton)?

kind regards
Do you have a 4s Kraton? Can you measure the diameter of the shock rods? If they are 3mm, then the answer most likely will be "yes". don't think they are designed very different from the 3s line shocks, but you never know until you disassemble one ...
Or: can you post a picture from the parts list drawing that was included? Compare it to the one attached from the 3s line. (Shown is a picture from my Senton 3s BLX) the o rings which have to be removed are the ones marked with part number ar330451, and in exchange the Traxxas ones (blue x rings included in the rebuild kit trx2362) have to be installed.

Attachments

• 15872812955233374345673492737707.jpg
    15872812955233374345673492737707.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
No 4s is 4mm shafts. Use Tekno O rings or anything that has 4mm shafts, but Tekno sells a pack of 16 rings. I don't know in the outer. The stock rebuild kit may be fine because I haven't had any issue with 4s shocks.

Ordered ZD Racing shocks for my 3S Typhon from Banggood. I also ordered some decent o-rings so that i can rebuild stock shocks as well. O-rings i ordered are made for automotive use, so hopefully they are better than the stock ones.

I am planing to do some testing with rebuilt stock ones against the ZDs. Dunno when ZDs arrives though.

I just wanted to give a quick thanks and thumbs up to Slick for all the help. My Tekno's are on the way and working with him my 2 weeks of constant searching and looking for info was all solved in a few hours.

Here is some info from Facebook regarding Associated RC8B3.1 shocks for 3s/4s replacement. Nice looking quality with metal caps and TiNi coated shafts. Also have rubber dust boots and cap bleeder screws.

Pic posted is compared to 3s shocks, looks a little long, but probably perfect for 4s replacements:

1589293699989.png

Here is what he said about the top mounts:

first you put the included insert in the ”giant hole”. Then you can insert the stock pivot ball after sanding down the ”ball” a little bit. On the rear shock that procedure is done.

Hi Guys,

Similar to the diff shimming thread, I have tried to add the information from this incredible resource into my parts reference spreadsheet.

I haven't trawled through the whole thing, as it seems like the OP is keeping the original one up to date.

I also haven't included all the shock options.

Feel free to offer feedback:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...3niMWIqGJePsbG1hEpCDrVZXFM/edit#gid=421742225

I originally bought Typhon 6S shocks from JRC and found that the springs were way too soft. The truck sat below level with mid preload and a 4S pack in it. It would chassis slap from less than a foot drop and barely rebound.

So then I bought K6S springs, front and rear. It then sat better and still slaps from a 4ft drop, but had better rebound. Problem was, there was no droop or slouching. The shaft length of the Typhon 6S shocks was limiting down travel.

So I recently bought Talion shafts front and rear. It now has proper full down travel, sits up a little higher, and has good dampening and proper rebound.

I’m running 80W/1000cst Team Associated shock oil. I would have to weigh the thing with a 4S pack but I would think is a few pounds heavier than my Granite 3S. Mostly due to the larger tires and thicker suspension parts.

You can watch my YouTube video in the Sunday Funday thread if you want to see it in action. It took some abuse and ended up not finishing the day, but it seemed to do well when I landed on tires and not the wing. ???
Other than upgrading shock oil, did you have to do anything to fit the talion shocks?

Back