IMPORTANT PLEASE READ. Arrma 6s, Arrma Mega 4x4, BLX 3s and BLX 4s shock information and upgrades.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have a 4S and Typhon 6S shocks, your truck will be lowered by about 6mm. If you don’t want it lowered, then you will need the Talion shafts (or just buy Talion shocks). The Typhon springs are too short and soft as well. I bought the Kraton 6S springs and run those on the Talion shafts. I like it so far. It sits up like it should now. I’m running 80W oil, which might be a tad thick but I’m running it for now. I may drop down to about 50W next time I need to redo the shocks.

Something is broken and I cannot edit the first post so here is another possible shock option.

Thunder Tiger MT4 K Rock Shocks.
These will also require something to take up the space in the upper shock mount. These shocks are plastic bodied with aluminum caps and they use preload clips. The springs feel a bit firm and might now work the best on the 3s models. They are only $9.99 a pair. I will try to test these out this weekend but it's supposed to be a bit cold.

Last edited:
The Kraton 4S weighs 8 pounds. The Typhon 6S weighs 7 pounds 8 ounces. The Kraton 6S weighs 10 pounds 11 ounces. Personally I wouldn't use springs designed for a truck that weighs 3 pounds more (factoring battery) than the truck I'm putting them in. I run the Typhon 6S shocks in my Granite and I find them a bit stiff. The Granite weighs 6 pounds 4 ounces which is a lot closer to the weight of the Typhon than the Kraton 4S is to the Kraton 6S. At the end if the day I guess it depends on what you consider decent performance but I can tell without even trying that Kraton 6S springs on my Kratom 4S would be WAY to stiff for my liking.

The Kraton 4S weighs 8 pounds. The Typhon 6S weighs 7 pounds 8 ounces. The Kraton 6S weighs 10 pounds 11 ounces. Personally I wouldn't use springs designed for a truck that weighs 3 pounds more (factoring battery) than the truck I'm putting them in. I run the Typhon 6S shocks in my Granite and I find them a bit stiff. The Granite weighs 6 pounds 4 ounces which is a lot closer to the weight of the Typhon than the Kraton 4S is to the Kraton 6S. At the end if the day I guess it depends on what you consider decent performance but I can tell without even trying that Kraton 6S springs on my Kratom 4S would be WAY to stiff for my liking.
I tried running my stock V1 Outcast front springs in the rear of my Typhon 3s and they were a bit too stiff even.

Been a little while since my first posts about ZD Racing shocks. Finally tore them down and shortened the stroke with fuel line, needed 6mm in the front and about 8mm in the rear. Used 40 weight oil in the rear and 50 weight in the front. Truck feels pretty rad. Really impressed with the handling so far but haven't sent it to big.

Attachments

• 20200222_181106.jpg
    20200222_181106.jpg
    278.6 KB · Views: 70
  • 20200222_183754.jpg
    20200222_183754.jpg
    286 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Hello all !
I have a question related to the shocks, not regarding the 3s/4s models however, but this topic is the main one about the shocks, so I thought it will be the best place to ask my question.

I have made a Truggified Typhon : the base model is the Typhon 6s v4. To have a nice support for the proline C10 body, i have swapped to Senton body mount set and Senton shock towers (@RC DUDE81 is using the same configuration).
On the latest 6S Senton, the shock lenghts are (according to JennyRC) : 114mm front, 116mm rear (@chevys10zr2003 you can update post #2).
On Typhon 6s v4, shock lenghts are 107mm front, 120mm rear.

I am thinking now that I should have used longer shocks for the front, closer to the lenght of the Senton 6s ones, as I use Senton 6s towers.

Depending on the shock towers we have installed, isn't it better to use slightly longer shocks, rather than shorter ones ? (so we don't have to turn the droop screw all the way down, and we have better ground clearance).

I saw that Outcast/Kraton front shock are 114mm, so should I rather use these ones on the front of my Truggified Typhon ?
This way, I am closer to the lenght of the Senton front shock, and I get more ground clearance.

PS : I am asking all those questions because I want to build another truggified typhon, but the price of the Typhons shocks has rised up a lot on jenny rc, so i try to find some alternatives.

Thanks a lot for your advices :)

Hello all !
I have a question related to the shocks, not regarding the 3s/4s models however, but this topic is the main one about the shocks, so I thought it will be the best place to ask my question.

I have made a Truggified Typhon : the base model is the Typhon 6s v4. To have a nice support for the proline C10 body, i have swapped to Senton body mount set and Senton shock towers (@RC DUDE81 is using the same configuration).
On the latest 6S Senton, the shock lenghts are (according to JennyRC) : 114mm front, 116mm rear (@chevys10zr2003 you can update post #2).

I am thinking now that I should have used longer shocks for the front, closer to the lenght of the Senton 6s ones, as I use Senton 6s towers.

Depending on the shock towers we have installed, isn't it better to use slightly longer shocks, rather than shorter ones ? (so we don't have to turn the droop screw all the way down, and we have better ground clearance).

I saw that Outcast/Kraton front shock are 114mm, so should I rather use these ones on the front of my Truggified Typhon ?
This way, I am closer to the lenght of the Senton front shock, and I get more ground clearance.

PS : I am asking all those questions because I want to build another truggified typhon, but the price of the Typhons shocks has rised up a lot on jenny rc, so i try to find some alternatives.

Just buy the Senton shafts and springs and you’re all set. You could go with Talion shafts and Kraton springs instead. That’s what I run on my K4S.

Hello all !

Are those shocks lengths that you gave me center of eye to center of eye or are they overall shock lengths?

Pretty sure the bodies of all the 6s model shocks are the same, so the difference is shaft length and springs as stated above.

It seems everyone thinks the Talion shocks are a great solution for the 1/10 rigs, so hard to get or rising prices (I disagree).

If I were making such a frankenstein rig, I would probably try to stick with a combo of arms/towers/shocks/links/axles of one model to make things easier.

Just buy the Senton shafts and springs and you’re all set. You could go with Talion shafts and Kraton springs instead. That’s what I run on my K4S.

Well, as I will start this Truggified Typhon project starting with nothing, I told myself I would buy Talion rear shocks and Outcast/Kraton front ones, to go with the Senton shock towers. Of course, I will need to change diff fluids. How does that sound ?

Pretty sure the bodies of all the 6s model shocks are the same, so the difference is shaft length and springs as stated above.

It seems everyone thinks the Talion shocks are a great solution for the 1/10 rigs, so hard to get or rising prices (I disagree).

If I were making such a frankenstein rig, I would probably try to stick with a combo of arms/towers/shocks/links/axles of one model to make things easier.

No, the bodies of the 6s shocks are not the same length. And if I stick with a combo as you said, well, then I can not make a frankenstein :) The Truggified Typhon has been made by many people already, I was just looking at options if I don't want to use Typhon shocks as they are difficult to buy on Jenny RC : they are sold as soon as they are avalaible, and now they cost around USD40 for a pair, which is too much for my liking.

OK, browsing through some diagrams, I found this so far on the shock bodies:

AR330478 = Kraton/Outcast front, Talion/Typhon Rear. The rods are different, but cheap. Springs can be tuned to your taste.

Spring chart I made:
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/arrma-spring-list-chart-for-4s-and-most-6s-vehicles.18704/

This document shows part cross-reference for current models:
http://www.arrma-rc.com/pdf/xref/arrma-parts-xref-A.pdf

The Mojave has some 51mm shock bodies, the closest to the front 47mm bodies of the Typhon which are only found on that model.

Well, as I will start this Truggified Typhon project starting with nothing, I told myself I would buy Talion rear shocks and Outcast/Kraton front ones, to go with the Senton shock towers. Of course, I will need to change diff fluids. How does that sound ?

No, the bodies of the 6s shocks are not the same length. And if I stick with a combo as you said, well, then I can not make a frankenstein :) The Truggified Typhon has been made by many people already, I was just looking at options if I don't want to use Typhon shocks as they are difficult to buy on Jenny RC : they are sold as soon as they are avalaible, and now they cost around USD40 for a pair, which is too much for my liking.
I’m too lazy to check the lengths of the OC shafts ?? but if they are the same length or slightly longer you should be fine. With the 6S cars you can always use the droop screws to limit travel.

I understand using shock shafts from other models to match a specific length but I don't understand why people don't take into account the spring rate. Kraton/OC springs are a lot stiffer than Typhon springs. Personally a truggified Typhon with Kraton/OC springs would be way to stiff.

So I did a thing today and wanted to share my findings. First off thanks to this thread I felt confident enough to do some experimenting so here's what I did.

So I been waiting to find some Typhon 6s shocks for my 3s BLX granite for a while but they seem to be hard to find these days, plus Jenny's RC is now pricing them around 90 dollars a set and elsewhere isn't much better so I decided to go another route. I wanted the convenience of fully assembled shocks but also stick with Arrma shocks and not try one of the other brands suggested in this thread. So after some research I decided to try 6s Mojave Fronts used as my front shock replacement and 6s Kraton/Outcast front shocks used as my rear shock replacement. These were as close to Typhon sizes I could find and Jenny's always seemed to have these in stock, plus fully shipped was around $60 USD, 1/3 less than a set of Typhons. Below is a side by side with specs to reference:
InShot_20200301_012249265.jpg

First I want to talk about the 6s Kraton/Outcast shocks as my rears. First of all it's 114mm, just short by 1mm of the stock rear shock height (115mm), however the total travel length is 9mm shorter than that of stock. I was worried about losing the 9mm of shock travel but after installing I am actually pleased with it and it doesn't seem to be a problem. When fully compressed it still sits a ways above the bottom chassis and when I compared it with the stock rears on at the same time it doesn't honestly look all that bad. Here's a picture for reference:
InShot_20200301_013025413.jpg

Now when I installed the 6s Mojave front shocks there was a bit more of a discrepancy between the stock fronts but still it was better than expected. When fully compressed the 6s Mojave shocks are just 2mm longer travel than the stock shocks, however the 6s shocks have 8mm more travel and it's was very apparent how big of a difference that was when I installed both side by side, see below:
InShot_20200301_013340621.jpg

This 8mm extra length was an easy fix. All I needed was a 8mm spacer installed on the shock shaft to bring the full travel down to 100mm to match stock travel. I don't have nitro fuel line so I 3D printed a 8mm spacer out of TPU and it worked perfectly.
InShot_20200301_013616735.jpg

So after installing here's the final ride height. With the shocks having heavier spring weights I found that backing off most of the spring compression made the rear shocks just about right. I did this with the front shocks too but even after taking out all the compression it's a bit too stiff for my liking but isn't super bad overall. Since my truck is running 4s and I often do big air at the request of my nephew a stiffer front setup may work just fine. I will try it out for now but I'll probably get a lighter set of springs later to soften it up closer to Typhon 6s weights and decide after trying both which I like better.
InShot_20200301_013803533.jpg

Oh yeah also don't be a noob like me and forget to buy the Axial upper shock bushings to use 6s shocks with the 3s platforms. I ended up quick designing and 3D printing own out of Ninjaflex TPU, also made a shock boot for the Mojave shocks since they didn't come with them like I thought. Both came out better than expected.
InShot_20200301_014649033.jpg

Last edited:
I think the $60 is better spent on 4s Hot Racing bodies and 4mm rods/ends from 6s Talion or Tekno 1/8. It will fit and move like original, and gain the removable ends. If you have a 4s to start with the stock springs will work, otherwise you need to buy springs to fit the larger diameter bodies. Many options available from Tekno or Arrma. I have tuned my stock 4s shocks with Tekno springs.

I think the $60 is better spent on 4s Hot Racing bodies and 4mm rods/ends from 6s Talion or Tekno 1/8. It will fit and move like original, and gain the removable ends. If you have a 4s to start with the stock springs will work, otherwise you need to buy springs to fit the larger diameter bodies. Many options available from Tekno or Arrma. I have tuned my stock 4s shocks with Tekno springs.
For guys already on 4s models I can see your point but my truck I was upgrading is a 3s blx granite with the smaller shocks so I never had 4s suspension springs to pair with hot racing bodies and do any of that stuff you suggested. I chose to buy something off the shelf and experiment vs ordering a mixed bag of parts from variety of sources and having it cost probably about the same if not more after shipping costs combined.

First test with the Thunder tiger shocks was a mixed bag, the shocks work well on my 3s Kraton, dropping onto concrete the car did bottom out a bit more than I would like but the suspension wasn't bouncy and was nice and smooth. And now for the bad I broke a shock end. Now it is about 30* with the windchill so I'm not sure if that had an effect on it. Good news is they use standard 1/8th scale rod ends so you can easily replace them. I lied they are not standard 1/8th thread, they are an oddball size I measured 2.6mm on my calipers, other 1/8th shocks measure 3mm. Replacements come in a kit for $7.99.
20200302_131750.jpg

Last edited:
Back