Arrma anodized aluminum diff case with very loose Outdrives

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parcou

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Hospitality Award
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
  2. Felony
  3. Fireteam
  4. Granite
  5. Infraction
  6. Kraton EXB
  7. Talion EXB
  8. Typhon TLR
  9. Vorteks
Question Fam

Has anyone experienced very loose outdrives when using the anodized aluminum diff case?

My Infraction v1 I use it only for the center diff. If I install the replacement with the normal shims as the OEM diff the outdrives are very loose and it wiggles a lot on the center driveshafts going to the f/r diffs. To fix, I did not have the change number of shims located outside the diff on the outdrives. To stop the wiggle, I did need to add more shims under the small diff pin that slides between the oring under the planetary gears. Normally it's just one for each side. The side pictured going to the rear took 3 shims and the other side towards the front outdrive needed 2 shims. They are of varies sizes to get it right so it spins freely with no binding.

Was I right in doing this? All that excessive wiggle which was a lot did not feel right. It's good now but I did it without asking first so asking before I do a bash.

IMG_20210612_101402.jpg

@SrC

The directions say to use 2 shims where in a factory case uses 1 shim

View attachment 151664

Good having people like you here...

I missed this all together and never saw this. Newbie mistake and thx. So I feel much better now I see I did not know the directions but added the shims...still needed on small extra on the other side but in the end I feel better now.

Thx Sir!! (y)

Good having people like you here...

I missed this all together and never saw this. Newbie mistake and thx. So I feel much better now I see I did not know the directions but added the shims...still needed on small extra on the other side but in the end I feel better now.

Thx Sir!! (y)
Don’t feel bad. I did the exact same thing 😂🤣

glad I could help! 😎

I purchased the first Arrma metal diff carrier after it was first released, if my memory serves me right, there were not 2 shims mentioned. Subsequent ones did indicate 2 shims required at each of the sun gears. I have not bricked any of these alloy diffs yet. If anything, the 2 bearings will fail first IMHO. I only use them at the center on many of my 6s rigs. FWIW. I run 500k or 200k depending on the rig.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back