Arrma Big Rock 3s shock upgrades

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m sure others will chime in. You have several options. I prefer the Typhon 6s shocks myself. You can also use the HR bodies or Tekno shocks. Couple of pics with Typhon and Hot Racing.
E12132FD-3223-4415-8CFE-AE66D760ADE3.jpeg
F5AFFA0C-DE39-49DF-AB95-E01F2A7A6034.jpeg

dude I've tried every shock you can think of on my granite v2. I still have them alomg with a bunch of stock shocks. Most look brand new if you want them. The cadillac of shocks is tekno hands down discussion over! but they are 100 bucks for a set. Took me a year to finally bring myself to buying them. Best decision I made because now I have a little tekno called a granite that just won't flip over and drives really sweet! I know 100 bucks is a lot to lay out for shocks but there's no comparison.

I use the Zd racing shocks with 50wt and they work really well on my widened granite. Not quite as good as the 6s typhon shocks but $30 for 80-90% of the performance I’ll take it.

dude I've tried every shock you can think of on my granite v2. I still have them alomg with a bunch of stock shocks. Most look brand new if you want them. The cadillac of shocks is tekno hands down discussion over! but they are 100 bucks for a set. Took me a year to finally bring myself to buying them. Best decision I made because now I have a little tekno called a granite that just won't flip over and drives really sweet! I know 100 bucks is a lot to lay out for shocks but there's no comparison.
I think they are like $110 plus shipping right now. The Arrma Typhon 6s shocks are about $100 before shipping and nowhere near as nice as the Tekno shocks in my honest opinion, compared to my Arrma shocks the Teknos just feel and work so much better.

Don't have a Typhon, just Arrma Granite V2 and Tekno MT410. As for granite shocks I've tried Hot racing, ZD, no name brands, back to original shocks, played with shock oil viscosity, learned a lot. But when I dropped the granite from 3 feet the rear would bounce no matter what. The mt410 just gets planted when you drop it from 3 feet. Now that I have the tekno shocks on the granite it doesn't bounce from 3 feet either. Won't say it drives like the mt410. But will say that it handles way better and you gotta try real hard to flip it over on a turn. Granite is down right now waiting for hot racing rear hubs but thought I take a pic of the shocks ;) anyone interested in ZD (brand new) HR all good and spare in the plastic. Don't see me going back to these shocks . . .

20210122_213330.jpg

20210122_213345.jpg

Not happy with the ZD Racing shocks from bangood. The metal is well machined. But the inside is poorly designed. Went back to the originals. Still using some of the ZD but the top plate inside is to thin and keep breaking inside the shock. Broke about 5 or 6 of them. Still have a few and will use them to jump. The holes inside too big so 2000 diff oil to get somewhat good results. Now only use them on the Big Rock. On the Typhons the center of cravity got too high and due to the height the steering got a lot more sloppy. The wishbones were just angled up to far.

Not happy with the ZD Racing shocks from bangood. The metal is well machined. But the inside is poorly designed. Went back to the originals. Still using some of the ZD but the top plate inside is to thin and keep breaking inside the shock. Broke about 5 or 6 of them. Still have a few and will use them to jump. The holes inside too big so 2000 diff oil to get somewhat good results. Now only use them on the Big Rock. On the Typhons the center of cravity got too high and due to the height the steering got a lot more sloppy. The wishbones were just angled up to far.

Seems to be a common problem with a lot of the cheap shocks.
From what I can tell is ZD Racing doesn't really have any QC as a lot of guys get good shocks, then some get some junk, I've seen a few guys saying theirs had random pistons in them. But iirc Arrma shock rods and shock pistons will work inside the bodies, I cannot remember what shock rods though sorry.

If you want good shocks go with the Typhon 6s shocks and if you want the best shocks go with the shocks from the Tekno SCT410.3, just check the shock sticky in the suspension section if you want to look at other options.

Broke, bent or leaking. All used on Arrma 3s cars. Just kept these in case I stumble across some other parts I could use some time. Actually I might have thrown some broken ones away. Have some more ZD front and rear spare shocks and will use them. Just ordered a Russian Big Rock Body so those spare ZD's will come in handy for some full speed ramp jumping. Better than throwing them away. The 4 ZD's on the Big Rock now have taken a massive beating and are just fine.

Thanks for the Tekno 410.3 pointer. The original shocks are really good when they don't leak. I put in new O-Rings and they are really doing the job on my other 3s rigs. Have some spare rebuilt ones ready. Think I will stay with the original ones.

20210314_004429.jpg

Last edited:
Broke, bent or leaking. All used on Arrma 3s cars. Just kept these in case I stumble across some other parts I could use some time. Actually I might have thrown some broken ones away. Have some more ZD front and rear spare shocks and will use them. Just ordered a Russian Big Rock Body so those spare ZD's will come in handy for some full speed ramp jumping. Better than throwing them away. The 4 ZD's on the Big Rock now have taken a massive beating and are just fine.

Thanks for the Tekno 410.3 pointer. The original shocks are really good when they don't leak. I put in new O-Rings and they are really doing the job on my other 3s rigs. Have some spare rebuilt ones ready. Think I will stay with the original ones.

View attachment 131992
Damn.

What’s the best solution for replacing the stock shocks on my big rock 3s? Only had it a week and 3 are leaking already.
If all your worried about is the leaking, just buy the new shock rebuild kit which has the better orings in them. The new orings will fix the leaks.

I still run the stock shocks, and find them good enough for me for just general bashing.

you can see my post above with all the $ I wasted on better shocks for the granite including the ZDs. The granite original shocks work ok and better than others I tried, but they always leaked for me. Since I installed the tekno shocks suspension is now gorgeous no longer a concern for me ;). now I need a roll cage or exoskeleton to protect the granite body especially the back of it and that's it for granite.

Thanks for posting this man. I’ve been wondering (tempted) by the price and look lol
Don't have a Typhon, just Arrma Granite V2 and Tekno MT410. As for granite shocks I've tried Hot racing, ZD, no name brands, back to original shocks, played with shock oil viscosity, learned a lot. But when I dropped the granite from 3 feet the rear would bounce no matter what. The mt410 just gets planted when you drop it from 3 feet. Now that I have the tekno shocks on the granite it doesn't bounce from 3 feet either. Won't say it drives like the mt410. But will say that it handles way better and you gotta try real hard to flip it over on a turn. Granite is down right now waiting for hot racing rear hubs but thought I take a pic of the shocks ;) anyone interested in ZD (brand new) HR all good and spare in the plastic. Don't see me going back to these shocks . . .

View attachment 121829

View attachment 121830
What was your experience with the hot racing shock bodies?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back