Arrma Big Rock to Senton Conversion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Contrakt

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Mojave
I have a box stock Big Rock Crew Cab 4x4 BLX 3s and, although I have liked the truck, I'd like to be able to run it on the local carpet track and not look like a weirdo running around on the track with a monster truck.

So I did a relatively cheap and pretty awesome Senton conversion. I know this isn't some big new idea, but I figured I'd share some pictures of the converted truck and the entire list of part numbers summed up into one concise post.

If you own a BRCC and want to convert to a Senton, here are the required part numbers. I ordered them all from Arrma's website and it was under 50 dollars. I got a brand new Senton body from eBay for under 50 dollars (more like 35) and then got some Duratrax carpet tires which were around 50 dollars. *note* For standard Duratrax wheels/tires you'll need some 12mm hexes, as the truck comes with 14mm.
AR320406 ARRMA SC Nerf Bars 4x4 SENTONqty. 1
$ 3.99
AR320405 ARRMA SC Bumper Set 4x4 SENTONqty. 1
$ 8.99
AR320407 ARRMA SC Body Mount Set 4x4 SENTONqty. 1
$ 7.99
AR320421 ARRMA SC Side Guard Set 4x4 SENTONqty. 1
$ 6.99
AR320419 ARRMA F/R Lower Skid Plate 4x4 SENTONqty. 1
$ 4.99
All of the above part numbers come with both front and rear, left and right. No need to individually purchase front from rear or left from right. They come as sets; very convenient.

Additionally, I ordered the 13 tooth pinion gear to give the truck more low end punch. On an indoor carpet track, I'm not nearly as concerned with top-end speed as I am with hole-shot, battery conservation, and cool motor temps, all of which are provided by the 13T pinion.
AR310425 ARRMA Pinion Gear 13T 0.8mod 4x4qty. 1
$ 3.99

The body I will provide a part number for as well, however, I bought mine completely box stock painted with factory decals from eBay. First of all, the orange was out of stock on Arrma's website, and second of all, I'm pretty firmly under the opinion that if I were tasked with painting a body I'd botch the operation and would regret trying it.
AR402262 Senton 4x4 Clear Body (INC. DECALS)qty. 1
$ 39.99

I will also provide the factory tires and wheels from Arrma. As stated already, I went with Duratrax tires and wheels which I will also provide for a carpet track alternative. This part is mostly unnecessary, though, as you're free to go with whatever tires and wheels you want for your application (remembering to keep in mind the differences in wheel hex sizes).
AR550043 DBoots 'Fortress SC' Tire Set Glued (BLACK CHROME) (2pcs)qty. 2
$ 53.98

Alternatively, for carpet,
DTXC3687 Duratrax Shotgun SC Tire C2 Mounted tires (2pcs)qty. 2
$ 53.96

With the part numbers above, you will have a complete BRCC to Senton conversion. The only discrepancy I can think of are wheel hexes. Just double check which tires you're buying and which wheel hexes they come with. Arrma brand will be direct bolt-on. Duratrax may be bolt on depending on the ones you find. The ones I bought were 12mm as I converted my BRCC to 12mm so I could run more common wheels and tires.

Enjoy. I know I sure am!

86932608_192167745322364_675422584124211200_n.jpg
87044098_1226485821074025_1954232255941443584_n.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice! Looks clean and love the carpet setup. At first I thought, "why not be a weirdo with a monster truck?" But now I see the conversion is well worth the changes. Super cool job!

Very nice! Looks clean and love the carpet setup. At first I thought, "why not be a weirdo with a monster truck?" But now I see the conversion is well worth the changes. Super cool job!
Well, not only do I feel like a weirdo but if I want to run in the open short course class (which I do, which I AM), I am required to be driving.... A short course truck! :ROFLMAO:

So does the difference in ride height come from changes to the wheel & tire combo or did you have to adjust suspension? I ask because we were thinking of going to opposite direction and converting my sons Senton to a monster truck.

So does the difference in ride height come from changes to the wheel & tire combo or did you have to adjust suspension? I ask because we were thinking of going to opposite direction and converting my sons Senton to a monster truck.
Ride height is only different due to the change in tire diameter. I have, since creating this post, gone with aftermarket shocks that have adjustable coil collars, but regardless, the change in tires on stock shocks did indeed lower the ride height and improve stability.

As a side note, to serve as an update on this thread...

On the carpet track, this thing REFUSES to traction roll. I see a lot of guys with their SC10s or they’re fancy buggy chassis short course trucks struggling to round a sharp corner without traction rolling... not me. Because of the weight of the Senton and the ride height adjustments I’ve made, this thing refuses to roll, and jumps better than any truck on the track because of its weight.

It’s not the fastest truck in the circuit, but it’s so stable around corners and takes the doubles and triples so so so so well and lands on all 4s after every single jump, that it is in fact one of the faster trucks on the track. There is a guy there that I cannot beat, but the rest of them pose no threat. Teknos, Prolines, Slashes, Team Associated, none of them are as stable on the corners and as stable on the jumps as I am with the Senton. Castle motor this, buggy chassis that, doesn’t matter at the end of the day. The guy who is consistent and doesn’t crash takes the victory, and I’ve been proving that weekend after weekend. The Senton is absolutely a competitor in the short course racing scene, even on indoor carpet tracks. Had multiple people tell me how impressed they are with the truck and asking me what I’ve done to it. Basically nothing, is the answer. I was sick of bending shock shafts so I upgraded the shocks. Ehhh didn’t make much of a difference, still managing to bend these new thicker ones too. That’s the bad thing about carpet track... when you get into it with someone and you DO end up taking a dive, it’s SUPER hard on the truck. Not as forgiving as clay or dirt.

All in all, I’m super happy with the Senton for a race chassis and for a bashing chassis. It has surpassed my expectations and I have no plans of replacing it with a different or fancier race-bred chassis.

Just saw this thread while looking for tire choices for my Senton 3s. Haven't started racing yet, but iv'e been to the only track near me, which is an indoor clay track. Practiced on it with the stock tires and couldn't keep it in a straight line. It does jump well though. I need to get tires more suited to clay, like prolines clay or simular. Are you limited to 2s on your track? Mine is. And I did switch to a 15 tooth pinion, but i think i'll get a 13 as well. Was it less spring tension that helped with traction roll?

Just saw this thread while looking for tire choices for my Senton 3s. Haven't started racing yet, but iv'e been to the only track near me, which is an indoor clay track. Practiced on it with the stock tires and couldn't keep it in a straight line. It does jump well though. I need to get tires more suited to clay, like prolines clay or simular. Are you limited to 2s on your track? Mine is. And I did switch to a 15 tooth pinion, but i think i'll get a 13 as well. Was it less spring tension that helped with traction roll?
I have basically zero experience on clay. I can't suggest good clay tires for you to use.

Yes, my carpet track limits us to 2s. You know I never did switch to that 13T pinion that I originally said I was going to use.... I got the truck dialed in with the 15T and it seems that it has enough torque to power over the doubles and triples from a tight corner, and enough top end to REACH it, but not top out and want more. For my track, the 15T seems pretty good honestly. I've almost considered going up to a 20T.

My truck absolutely traction rolled when I first got it out on the track after the conversion. Typically, guys run stiffer springs in the front and slightly less stiff in the rear, at least that's the typical setup around my track. For me, on my senton, the cure for traction rolling that turned my truck from a "corner to corner roller constantly troubled by topples", to a "REFUSES TO ROLL at low speed, high speed, tight corners, fast corners, doesn't matter, the truck REFUSES to traction roll" is taping the outside edge of my front tires with electrical tape. All I did was take a typical electrical tape roll and lay a bead of tape flat on the outside of the tire, the width of the tape. I did not roll the tape over the sidewall, I kept the tape strictly on the tread face of the tire. The tape, so far, has been a no maintenance, hassle free cure to the traction rolling, and it's very typical for guys to do this to their tires on carpet. I'm not sure about clay.

Thanks for the response. I'll leave the 15t on for now, but get a 13t just to have, along with the motor mount with slots to adjust the gap. It seems a little to tight with the stock mount that has set holes for size of pinion. The best clay tires seem to be almost slicks with a little cross cut tread. Proline makes some. Can't remember the name right now. Never heard of the tape trick before. I'm surprised it stays on. Sounds like it allows just enough slip on corners so it doesn't catch and roll. My track has some nice doubles and triples that the Senton clears easily if I can keep a good line going in. I think the body actually helps pull the front up a bit in the air so it lands more square instead of nose first. Good luck with yours and quit bending shock shafts:p

Thanks for the response. I'll leave the 15t on for now, but get a 13t just to have, along with the motor mount with slots to adjust the gap. It seems a little to tight with the stock mount that has set holes for size of pinion. The best clay tires seem to be almost slicks with a little cross cut tread. Proline makes some. Can't remember the name right now. Never heard of the tape trick before. I'm surprised it stays on. Sounds like it allows just enough slip on corners so it doesn't catch and roll. My track has some nice doubles and triples that the Senton clears easily if I can keep a good line going in. I think the body actually helps pull the front up a bit in the air so it lands more square instead of nose first. Good luck with yours and quit bending shock shafts:p
Buddy you have no idea! When a shock shaft finds out it’s being shipped to my house, it starts screaming “No! NOOO! I’ve heard the rumors..... I’ve heard the tales!!! Guys like us don’t survive a WEEK there! PLEASE OH PLEASE NO *AMain employee shoves him into a USPS package and throws him on the truck, you can still hear his muffled screams*

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back