Arrma bolts. Don't like em.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cr3pitus

Military Veteran
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Kraton 8S
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Nero
  5. Talion
  6. Typhon 3s
So I broke my second cantilever bolt today. First one I broke was on dirt in a driver error bad landing. Today I broke one at the skatepark on a very well landed jump, all four tires landing at the same time. Now this was a really big jump - cleared a half pipe into the next one at like 20 feet in the air - but it kinda kills me that these arrma stock cantilever bolts just seem to be weak. I replaced them with the Revo bolts which are basically a drop in replacement and feel heavier. I might just replace the other two as well preemptively. Thing that sucks is when those bolts break if they break under the hex getting them out is a pain in the ass. This second one broke above the hex luckily.

I feel like the Traxxas x series bolts are just a lot better and over time I'll probably replace most of my important bolts and screws with them. I took a picture and lo and behold it definitely looks to me like the arrma bolts are basically hollow in the upper threaded portion. Wtf!

Pic of the bolt

Attachments

• IMG_20161215_132044.jpg
    IMG_20161215_132044.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 66
So I broke my second cantilever bolt today. First one I broke was on dirt in a driver error bad landing. Today I broke one at the skatepark on a very well landed jump, all four tires landing at the same time. Now this was a really big jump - cleared a half pipe into the next one at like 20 feet in the air - but it kinda kills me that these arrma stock cantilever bolts just seem to be weak. I replaced them with the Revo bolts which are basically a drop in replacement and feel heavier. I might just replace the other two as well preemptively. Thing that sucks when those bolts break is they seem to break under the hex so getting them out is a pain in the ass.

I feel like the Traxxas x series bolts are just a lot better and over time I'll probably replace most of my important bolts and screws with them.

well...yeah...but 20 feet in the air?..and is a very heavy truck...but..no fear...there is a fix for it...check this nero forum ...guy replaced it with stronger fastener...off the shelf item at local hardware store...

but 20 ft?..fix it ...try for 30 ft and see what else breaks...there needs to be a ceiling on this...otherwise it needs a parachute. ..

or replace all fasteners made of maraging 350...that usually solves all my stress problems..

have fun...

well...yeah...but 20 feet in the air?..and is a very heavy truck...but..no fear...there is a fix for it...check this nero forum ...guy replaced it with stronger fastener...off the shelf item at local hardware store...

but 20 ft?..fix it ...try for 30 ft and see what else breaks...there needs to be a ceiling on this...otherwise it needs a parachute. ..

have fun...
No totally I agree - I just mostly wanted to bring it up so people know that the bolts aren't very robust for the size and capabilities of the truck. It's actually pretty legit that I could do that and have the geometry only break in that one spot. But I think replacing them preemptively is probably a good idea for people who want to bash the truck hard. I've also had more than a couple other screws strip out under like no pressure just during maintenance using really good drivers so I think they're just using a pretty soft metal in general.

And lol - a parachute might make for a really fun YouTube video! I might make one just to be dumb and have a good time. Airborne!

That sucks man. I'm surprised I haven't broken one yet... Knock on wood... Lol.
I have had some pretty big jumps also, but concrete landings are def more abuse than dirt landings.

Yah I tend to steer away from concrete but I couldn't resist this skatepark because it was right next to an account I was working at and I keep my car in my car lol. Always prepared for an epic spot.

No totally I agree - I just mostly wanted to bring it up so people know that the bolts aren't very robust for the size and capabilities of the truck. It's actually pretty legit that I could do that and have the geometry only break in that one spot. But I think replacing them preemptively is probably a good idea for people who want to bash the truck hard. I've also had more than a couple other screws strip out under like no pressure just during maintenance using really good drivers so I think they're just using a pretty soft metal in general.

And lol - a parachute might make for a really fun YouTube video! I might make one just to be dumb and have a good time. Airborne!

Y

Check out the YT video of a Yeti XL getting stuck in a tree

Attachments

• IMG_0196.JPG
    IMG_0196.JPG
    18.4 KB · Views: 18
I have noticeable for soft like the plastic and that is probably allow giving without snapping per se that way you're not having it dig out the other half of your bolts which have ended up in doing couple times and found it the head of my bolts for bent too severely which I took them out and to the vice straight them out put it back in

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back