Outcast Arrma breaks right after applying throttle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Montir

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Quick question. Bought used Outcast (2017 version) and when I apply throttle and then let go the truck kinda breaks and jumps instead of rolling. Any ideas? Have reset esc. Thx!

Hi everyone. Quick question. Bought used Outcast (2017 version) and when I apply throttle and then let go the truck kinda breaks and jumps instead of rolling. Any ideas? Have reset esc. Thx!
My bet is you have seized bearings. Have you gone thru the truck? I would tear it down 100% so you know what you’re working with. The BLX ESCs don’t have a drag brake option if that is what you have. If you have an aftermarket ESC then it is possible.

What radio is being used? Do you have the throttle trim centered? When you say you reset the ESC do you mean calibrated it?

If it's a bearing you can disengage the motor from the drive line and push it to see if anything is locking up?

Last edited:
What radio is being used? You have the throttle trim centered? When you say you reset the ESC do you mean calibrated it?
If it's a bearing you can disengage the motor from the drive line and push it to see if anything is looking up?

Thanks both of you. Reset ESC to factory settings but now it just beeps when i apply throttle and rear wheels does not spin - any chance you know about that issue? It’s the v1 outcast model. Static radio. Will check bearings. Thx!
Sound like a radio/receiver calibration issue to me. The truck thinks neutral is brake. A video with sound would probably help diagnose.
Great. Thanks. Will try and upload

If it’s a v1, it most likely has the blx200 esc I think. You can program that for 0 drag brake.
Arrma website says V1 OC cane with BLX185. V1 Kraton came with BLX180. BLX200 I believe was only in the Nero and Fazon.

Thanks both of you. Reset ESC to factory settings but now it just beeps when i apply throttle and rear wheels does not spin - any chance you know about that issue? It’s the v1 outcast model. Static radio. Will check bearings. Thx!

Ok, please re-calibrate your ESC to the radio!

Make sure you reset the endpoints on the transmitter first and check the trim for the throttle is centered.

Are you saying the front wheels are spinning without the rear?

1) Make sure your radio trim for throttle is set here(steering trim will depend on your servo position, but try to get the horn as close to the center point as you can):
20200808_073838.jpg

2) Reset the Transmitter to factory settings

20200808_075048.jpg

3) Try to follow this: you only need to adjust the steering endpoint's after a factory reset on the radio transmitter, DO NOT adjust the throttle!

20200808_075126.jpg

4) ALWAYS check your FAILSAFE! I highly recommend you don't ever set your FAILSAFE to anything, but NEUTRAL if you have a nitro car you may want to set it to break, but an electric ESC can go into reverse when the car slows enough if you have the FAILSAFE set to break.

20200808_075144.jpg

5) This step may be done before step 4 but always make sure you have done step 4 before you go and play!

Screenshot_20200808-075715_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

This is a bit clearer to read thanks to @unclebrudy
Turn on transmitter.

Hold Set button on ESC and turn on, release Set when it starts chirping/red light flashing.

Make sure transmitter is in neutral. Press Set once. One beep/green flash.

Depress throttle on transmitter fully, hold. Then press Set button. Two beeps/2 green flashes.

Reverse/brake on transmitter fully, hold. Press Set button. 3 beeps/3 green flashes.

Turn off ESC. You are ready.

Last edited:
1) Make sure your radio trim for throttle is set here(steering trim will depend on your servo position, but try to get the horn as close to the center point as you can):
View attachment 93337

2) Reset the Transmitter to factory settings

View attachment 93338

3) Try to follow this: you only need to adjust the steering endpoint's after a factory reset on the radio transmitter, DO NOT adjust the throttle!

View attachment 93339

4) ALWAYS check your FAILSAFE! I highly recommend you don't ever set your FAILSAFE to anything, but NEUTRAL if you have a nitro car you may want to set it to break, but an electric ESC can go into reverse when the car slows enough if you have the FAILSAFE set to break.

View attachment 93340

5) This step may be done before step 4 but always make sure you have done step 4 before you go and play!

View attachment 93341

This is a bit clearer to read thanks to @unclebrudy

Tried the steps above but no luck. The steeeing works but when applying throttle wheels don’t move and esc is just beeping.

Tried the steps above but no luck. The steeeing works but when applying throttle wheels don’t move and esc is just beeping.
Can you count the beeps, what colour LEDs do you get indicated back?

Silly question, but is the ESC connection to the radio, in the THROTTLE port and the correct way round in terms of polarity?
Are you saying when you are following the setup process that the ESC just beeps? If you are that's what's meant to happen.

In calibration mode, neutral press set 1 beep, full throttle forward 2 beeps, full throttle reverse 3 beeps, turn off the ESC and on again it then should work fine.

Are you sure you have checked all the settings in the ESC configuration, you press and hold the set button while turning on the ESC till the unit starts to beep in a weird pattern. Indicating the first menu item.

If you upload a video to YouTube and link it here we can help.

Can you count the beeps, what colour LEDs do you get indicated back?

Silly question, but is the ESC connection to the radio, in the THROTTLE port and the correct way round in terms of polarity?
Are you saying when you are following the setup process that the ESC just beeps? If you are that's what's meant to happen.

In calibration mode, neutral press set 1 beep, full throttle forward 2 beeps, full throttle reverse 3 beeps, turn off the ESC and on again it then should work fine.

Are you sure you have checked all the settings in the ESC configuration, you press and hold the set button while turning on the ESC till the unit starts to beep in a weird pattern. Indicating the first menu item.

If you upload a video to YouTube and link it here we can help.
QUOTE]

Thank you. Please see link below with sound. Will try and go through the steps again.

Assuming you have done this, but do it again.

If you changed anything at all do this again. Make sure you have your throttle trim centered and your rate at 100 before you do it.

I have an ECX Amp and the throttle trigger does not return to center properly anymore. It does something very similar until I manually center the throttle trigger and only then will the ESC arm properly. Try that just in case yours isn’t quite in neutral when you turn on your ESC.

When it’s on do you have any lights on the ESC when you are not touching anything? Try a factory reset, then change a settin like punch to something different from factory. Now do a reset again and check your punch setting and see if it is back to default or still whee you set it. If the reset is not working there is another way to force it. Here is a good video going over all the settings. Forcing the factory reset (sounds like your situation) is at 11:25.

Last edited:
One more thing to check - the motor. My Blx185 motor blew a bearing, and did like you describe. It went, but when I let go of the throttle, it was like the brakes were applied (strong) about 30 seconds later, it would not move. When the bearing failed, the rotor was dragging on the stator. I got lucky, and the rotor was not damaged, so I was able to swap bearings and the motor is now fine.

w
Assuming you have done this, but do it again.

If you changed anything at all do this again. Make sure you have your throttle trim centered and your rate at 100 before you do it.

I have an ECX Amp and the throttle trigger does not return to center properly anymore. It does something very similar until I manually center the throttle trigger and only then will the ESC arm properly. Try that just in case yours isn’t quite in neutral when you turn on your ESC.

When it’s on do you have any lights on the ESC when you are not touching anything? Try a factory reset, then change a settin like punch to something different from factory. Now do a reset again and check your punch setting and see if it is back to default or still whee you set it. If the reset is not working there is another way to force it. Here is a good video going over all the settings. Forcing the factory reset (sounds like your situation) is at 11:25.
[/QUOT
Thank’s y’all. Tried both factory reset and “estended” reset but no go. My esc doesn’t blink green as it does in the video but red instead when I turn on the esc. When i turn it on in blinks green once and then just keeps blinking red.
the blinking red esc is when transmitter is off. When transmitter is on the esc does not show any color. When I apply throttle it blinks red once and beeps

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back