Arrma could learn a whole bunch from Tamiya on durability

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ManhattanRC

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Typhon 6s
Before I get into my opening statement, I enjoy driving my Arrmas. They're exciting and fun to drive, but we all know they have their issues. I got back into the hobby a couple of years ago, and started building Tamiyas because as a kid that's exactly what I did. I own a few Tamiyas, senton mega, kraton, and Typhon 6s.

We've had a lot of rain and mud this winter and it's wreaked havoc on my Arrmas. Today was the first day, I started looking at my Tamiyas and I can only wish my arrmas handled the elements as well as my Tamiyas have. Good example of this is below.

After a year-and-a-half I decided to take apart my kong head 6x6 and see what mother nature has done to her insides. I've always done the basic maintenance on this truck like keeping it clean on the outside and making sure that my suspension was oiled and lubed properly, but that was about it.

I have to say after taking it apart inspecting the transmission and the outdrives, that Arrma could learn a lot about quality transmissions & gears from Tamiya. On many of my Tamiyas I've upgraded the ESCs and gone brushless up to 4S power, and had very little stripping of the stock spurs, input drives, or differentials. Try saying that about the brushed version of the senton mega. Also, Tamiya seems to have very little need for a slipper clutch yet those gears take every beating... every hard reverse...and full throttle acceleration that I and my hobbywing xerun can throw at it. I'd also say my stock bearings in my Tamiyas have very little rust after all this time.

I pulled my motor out, and even though there's no waterproofing gasket there is absolutely no rust on my stock pinion gear. I've brought this thing through water up to the hood and somehow the quality metals used stand up to the elements much better then the high-performance rtrs.

I feel like in the era of 6S and 8s power Tamiya are regarded as toys and not high performance RCs. In my opinion though, these have taken just as much of a beating as my Arrmas, but have proven more durable.

The Konghead will also do about 40mph on stock gearing, so not too bad. Any Tamiya owners have the same experience?

I agree 100% that the stock brushed Senton Mega is a turd. I don't see how that transfers to the rest of their BLX lineup. I bash all 3 of my 6s rigs in snow and wet weather and I haven't had any issues other than rusty hex heads. My 3s BLX trucks have been fine as well. ?

I just don’t run in water or wet conditions in general - not worth the hassle.

I’m starting to be the same way. I like my rigs to be “like-new” clean and lubed while they sit between runs and that takes a while to achieve after a wet and muddy run....especially on multiple RC’s.

I agree 100% that the stock brushed Senton Mega is a turd. I don't see how that transfers to the rest of their BLX lineup. I bash all 3 of my 6s rigs in snow and wet weather and I haven't had any issues other than rusty hex heads. My 3s BLX trucks have been fine as well. ?
Not saying the line up is subpar, that being said Screws aren't a problem on the Tamiya either. Also, never snapped an A-arm.

Going back to my old hobby which was being a motorcycle enthusiast, the Arrmas are the Ducati.... Sexy, exciting, faster etc.... Tamiya is Honda. Plain, but you don't need near the maintenance to sustain the performance.

I don't see people getting huge air in a Tamiya or people saying they take the Tamiya to the skate park. I also maybe missing something and not seeing Tamiyas flying thru the air doing stunts. It's a whole other world comparing something you consider yourself seriously bashing vs something you just drive up and down the street or on a empty field.

But yeah if driving back and forth then something breaks or goes wrong (like electrical issue) that's pretty crappy engineering and quality control.

Like I said people think of Tamiyas as toys, but My tt-02b Ms runs on 4s @ 74mph. $300 all in in and that kit has oil-filled shocks and aluminum parts.

I think ARRMA has found an unexpected downside to bringing out super tough and over built RC vehicles which is they are over weight. This means to get the performance that everyone wants, it takes a large brushless motor and an expensive 6S LiPo battery setup. 6S also means even more weight which is more wear on the drive train and other parts. Bottom line, when you crash, it's a lot of weight hitting something that can break parts.

The best thing ARRMA could do is put the vehicles on a diet while maintaining the durability. I feel Tekno has a leg up on ARRMA since they produce just as tough of vehicles but are a lot lighter which can perform really well even on 3S and can fly really well in the air.

Brian

Last edited:
I feel Tekno has a leg up on ARRMA

I'm still not sure if this thread is some kind of joke: I would never even think of abusing my TT02 in ways my Kraton shrugs of on a daily basis. Talking about durability and prefering Tamiya over Arrma? Not sure if serious...

Referencing Tekno - where the kits is about as much as a ready to run Kraton - does not help.

Have a ncie day!
Etosch

I wish they hadn't discontinued the TNX. I would like to get a small block 2 speed 4wd nitro MT again. Keep thinking about a t-maxx 3.3... but I have too many horrible memories of my t-maxx days 15 years ago to do that.

Wait, the Konghead is a Clodbuster with a Freightliner body, right? I had a Clod my first trip thru this hobby, (waaaay back when). Fast? It screamed at 10mph, no way would it see 40mph unless in the back of my dad's pickup. Durable? 2' high jumps where cool, but 3' jumps were the bomb! Like Boom! Parts everywhere!

I had a Frog too (my first hobby grade). Other than the hex half-shafts, not much broke on it. But, it did maybe 15mph stock, and 20mph after I got a 'hot' 12t motor for it. That motor melted many a white tamiya battery plug... lol

Oh, the good old days.

I have a Tamiya Neo Scortcher ,
Before I get into my opening statement, I enjoy driving my Arrmas. They're exciting and fun to drive, but we all know they have their issues. I got back into the hobby a couple of years ago, and started building Tamiyas because as a kid that's exactly what I did. I own a few Tamiyas, senton mega, kraton, and Typhon 6s.

We've had a lot of rain and mud this winter and it's wreaked havoc on my Arrmas. Today was the first day, I started looking at my Tamiyas and I can only wish my arrmas handled the elements as well as my Tamiyas have. Good example of this is below.

After a year-and-a-half I decided to take apart my kong head 6x6 and see what mother nature has done to her insides. I've always done the basic maintenance on this truck like keeping it clean on the outside and making sure that my suspension was oiled and lubed properly, but that was about it.

I have to say after taking it apart inspecting the transmission and the outdrives, that Arrma could learn a lot about quality transmissions & gears from Tamiya. On many of my Tamiyas I've upgraded the ESCs and gone brushless up to 4S power, and had very little stripping of the stock spurs, input drives, or differentials. Try saying that about the brushed version of the senton mega. Also, Tamiya seems to have very little need for a slipper clutch yet those gears take every beating... every hard reverse...and full throttle acceleration that I and my hobbywing xerun can throw at it. I'd also say my stock bearings in my Tamiyas have very little rust after all this time.

I pulled my motor out, and even though there's no waterproofing gasket there is absolutely no rust on my stock pinion gear. I've brought this thing through water up to the hood and somehow the quality metals used stand up to the elements much better then the high-performance rtrs.

I feel like in the era of 6S and 8s power Tamiya are regarded as toys and not high performance RCs. In my opinion though, these have taken just as much of a beating as my Arrmas, but have proven more durable.

The Konghead will also do about 40mph on stock gearing, so not too bad. Any Tamiya owners have the same experience?

I have a Tamiya Neo scortcher with the High speed gearing option , I have a 5200kv Motor in it running on 3s Lipo . I got upto 53mph :)
Need to be gentle with throttle but yeah it goes like stink on abisma road tyres .
I was advised not to , and also the plastic Propshaft would bend etc., I’m really pleased with it , I also have an Arma Senton Mega 4x4 Brushed blue bodyshell.
I’ve Noticed the Differential ring gear drags on the Yoke Causing it to getstuck every 3/4 rotation I bought a New one and built a Third from Genuine New Spares and all of them are having the same issue which makes the Car Slow and Doesn’t even accelerate well.
It’s only had a few runs with a 3500kv Etronix motor and on 3s it has bent that telescopic propshaft . So that bobs up and down now .
I heard so many good things about Arrma
I am left with a bitter taste .

Yeah arrmas are junk(n)

Arma Senton Mega 4x4 Brushed
a few runs with a 3500kv Etronix motor and on 3s
I don't get it. The car is build for brushed low power. For brushless power there is a blx version with lots of durability upgrades - especially with the drivetrain. Yet you prefer to take the low cost, non perfomance car with weaker drivetrain, install a brushless motor and complain about its drivetrain not being durable enough? Seems like a wrong approach to me.

Have a nice day!
Axel

I don't get it. The car is build for brushed low power. For brushless power there is a blx version with lots of durability upgrades - especially with the drivetrain. Yet you prefer to take the low cost, non perfomance car with weaker drivetrain, install a brushless motor and complain about its drivetrain not being durable enough? Seems like a wrong approach to me.

Have a nice day!
Axel
There’s not a lot of differences the BLX version has the same driveshafts , the same centre shaft, the out drives from the diff,
The diff ring on the Blx is Still plastic as is the case just higher teeth 49t against 37teeth.
Inside the diff , the gears are exactly the same as BLX version .
The spur gear is still plastic . As is in the Brushed . I intend to swap the diff rings for 37t . And swap out the rear spur but the Assembly of the yoke etc is all the same .
I would of much preferred a Brushless from the off start but none are available in UK.
But these problems I had from unboxing so it’s not the BL motor messing it up.
But thanks for your input .

Well sadly UK is still not within a hours drive - i sure would like to have a look at that car - sounds like there's something bend - from usage or from produktion - rotating problems often hint at bend axles. There are reports from people, also in this forum, that arrma has sometime a really sloppy quality control. Diffs without any oil for example. Although they are called rtr it is safer to check everything ahead of driving - i know does not sound fun.

Have you contacted your hobbyshop or arrma about it? If the problem was present from the begining i would simply have returned the car and asked for a replacement. Now that you are stuck with it - can you make some photos or a small video? Maybe someone here can help with the problem - i surely would like to help :)

Have a nice day!
Axel

Jimbobjr That's how a Arrma Should look after a Good Bashing-Beautiful !! My BRCC 3S looked just like your Kraton after I went bashing yesterday in a Thunder Storm !! Hahaha! : ) : )

As for Arrmajunk I've had my 3S blx Big Rock Crew Cab for over 3 months know and I had jumped it off of 2 ft. and 4 ft. Ramps and at least
15 -20 ft in the Air or a bit higher,bashed it at park for 4 straight packs going full throttle and I do all this almost ever Day!! I even rolled it at full speed end over end 7 or 8 times -done that 3 or 4 times trying to turn around at full throttle :ROFLMAO: Never works Out-But I have Not broke
one thing yet Period! I did blow out a tire yesterday running speed run in street and slid against curb one too many times!! :D :D

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back