Gorgon Arrma Gorgon and hobbywing quicrun 10BL 120 G2 Problems!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcdadelectrician

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Gorgon
Hello all to make things easier (I hope) I will list my son and my gorgon's set up and then say what's happening. I'm new in this forum and to RC in general, the gorgons were the first cars we bought and modify which is why I'm making this thread because I'm at a lost!.

Gorgon 1
receiver- spektrum SLR300
transmitter- spektrum SLT2 (stock)
ESC- hobbywing quiqrun 10BL 120 G2
Motor- hobbywing 3660 - 3150kv

Gorgon 2
receiver- spektrum SR315
transmitter- spektrum SLT3
ESC- hobbywing quicrun 10BL 120 G2
motor- hobbywing 3660 - 3700kv

There seems to be only one problem and that is the reverse.it is very inconsistent, sometimes it works but most times if I am going forward and break, to engage the reverse I have to press the trigger several times for the car to go backwards. I have tried setting the throttle limits, and I recently programed the ESC with the LED card and opened the neutral range as the guy suggested on the hobbywing YouTube video for people that were having reverse problems but am still having problems.
My 6yo son (gorgon 1 user) can really benefit from a consistent reverse since he is a pretty hard basher and sometimes being able to reverse the car can avoid bigger problems!

I should add that the motor wires aren't "a-a" "b-b" "c-c" I read on the instructions that the motor was not polarized and that if the motor was spinning the wrong way I could just simply swap one of wire pairs so I took B and C wire and swap those in the ESC, not sure if this has to do with my reverse problems or not but I figured let you guys know.

Did you recalibrate your transmitter yet?

That's fine and shouldn't cause the issue described.
I pressed the little button and the on button at the same time and did the full throttle, neutral amd reverse positions either the esc, if that is what calibrating it I did that several time.

Sorry, I'm really new to RC and don't know all the temrs yet!

I would switch out the transmitter/receiver set to factor that out, so the focus goes to the ESC (or not).
What transmitter/receiver I should get? Also. What are the chances that my son's and my gorgon are having the exact same issues but we have two different receiver/transmitter.

I pressed the little button and the on button at the same time and did the full throttle, neutral amd reverse positions

Yes, that's what I was referring to. Too bad it didn't solve your issue.

No need to apologize btw, we all started small!

My 10bl120s do that from time to time. I find it more related to the motor since I have swapping motors around. Seems like the higher KV motors seem to effect the ESC ability to determine the speed of the unsensored motor. The other issue seems to be the bounce back on the controller trigger. Letting off brake and the trigger bounces forward enough that the esc gets a forward command and you have to hit the brake to go back into reverse.

I just live with it, I got 4 10bl120 across multiple vehicles with the same issue. I have zero issues with the 2 Spektrum ESCs I have in the fleet. Each ESC seems to have some quark.

My 10bl120s do that from time to time. I find it more related to the motor since I have swapping motors around. Seems like the higher KV motors seem to effect the ESC ability to determine the speed of the unsensored motor. The other issue seems to be the bounce back on the controller trigger. Letting off brake and the trigger bounces forward enough that the esc gets a forward command and you have to hit the brake to go back into reverse.

I just live with it, I got 4 10bl120 across multiple vehicles with the same issue. I have zero issues with the 2 Spektrum ESCs I have in the fleet. Each ESC seems to have some quark.
Thank you for this input! I just have to be careful from now on since what I was trying to avoid is accidents I'll just go bashing with my son in places where reverse wouldn't be needed much. I guess my hopes of air control when jumping are gone! I'll learn to live with it, too.

Thank you!

Are you trying to use reverse to change rotation in the air? Otherwise I don’t understand how reverse would let you avoid accidents.

The 10BL120 uses “double tap” reverse, as opposed to the “check if in neutral” reverse. You have to brake, go back to neutral, and then brake again to go into reverse.

Are you trying to use reverse to change rotation in the air? Otherwise I don’t understand how reverse would let you avoid accidents.

The 10BL120 uses “double tap” reverse, as opposed to the “check if in neutral” reverse. You have to brake, go back to neutral, and then brake again to go into reverse.
I'm basically trying to have the air control as you mentioned but also, when doing speed runs or if at a parkinglot having the reverse activate on command will help my 6yo revers it back quick if a car was to drive by and such.

Let's say I'm going in a straight line amd I'm about to hit a set of bushes, I press the breaks before getting there but I stop right infront of them, I let go of the brakes and press for reverse amd the car doesn't go backwards l, I have to press reverse several times before the car actually engages. I know it might be a minor thing but is really annoying!

@rcdadelectrician Are the ESCs running the latest firmware?
How do I know what firmware I have and also how do I update it if I'm not running the latest one??

Are you running a sensorless motor? I’ve never tried a sensorless motor with that ESC to be honest. It might not work that well sensorless.

Are you running a sensorless motor? I’ve never tried a sensorless motor with that ESC to be honest. It might not work that

Are you running a sensorless motor? I’ve never tried a sensorless motor with that ESC to be honest. It might not work that well sensorless.
Yes I am using a sensorless motor since I bought the esc and motor in a combo package.

Thank you

Have you adjusted the throttle knob on your remote? Might have to turn it back a bit if it's jumping forward after letting the trigger bounce back after reverse.

I totally disagree with adjusting the throttle trim. Always leave it at zero.

I totally disagree with adjusting the throttle trim. Always leave it at zero.
And if reverse dosen't work on stock radio,you have no other adjustments. And if your steering is off leave that at zero too? It's a adjustment knobs?

It’s an adjustment knob for setting the neutral point for a servo. Since electric cars don’t have a mechanical servo for throttle, you should never have to adjust it. If you do, then there is something else wrong that you need to fix.

Back