Granite Arrma Granite 3S BLX w/20T Pinion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bicketybam

Back from vacation!
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Infraction
  4. Kraton 8S
  5. Kraton 6s
  6. Kraton 4s
  7. Mojave
  8. Notorious
  9. Talion
  10. Typhon 6s
Today I swapped in a 20T pinion to see what it would be like. I also wanted to see if it would thermal the ESC. I was able to run a full pack on 3S with no issues. I ran it on pavement and grass, as well as some jumps off my little ramp. It is FAST with the 20T pinion. I wish I hadn't sent my RC GPS flying into the Housatonic River, lol. I would really like to see how fast it can go. It is damn close to being as fast as my Kraton. It also handled really well at speed, which surprised me. You don't lose any of the bottom end grunt, so you can still wheelie with ease. I tried to pull off a triple from my little ramp and almost had it. I braked and under rotated right at the end. I also hit the ramp a little wonky and it added a little twist which didn't help things. Here is the failed attempt :D

Jeez @bicketybam your going to lighten my wallet again if you keep showing us how nice this thing.

Sounds like it would be great truck for just quick bashing around the yard and such.

TT

So running 20t/57t gearing on 3s with a 3200kv motor, and no heat issues? Nice!

Sounds like this new BLX100 combo is a winner. :cool:

It was brisk fall weather here in CT, so it's not a definite answer. But my first run was free of heat issues.

I am having a small issue where it seems to hesitate from start/low speed. I recalibrated the throttle and I think it helped, but my battery hit into LVC before I could really test it out. Every other truck I own is instant go, but this seems to hesitate a bit.

Jeez @bicketybam your going to lighten my wallet again if you keep showing us how nice this thing.

Sounds like it would be great truck for just quick bashing around the yard and such.

TT

I probably like this truck the best out of all I own just because of how versatile it is and the fact you don't have to dump money into it. It really is a great 1/10 scale basher and for $299 you can beat it.

I am having a small issue where it seems to hesitate from start/low speed. I recalibrated the throttle and I think it helped, but my battery hit into LVC before I could really test it out. Every other truck I own is instant go, but this seems to hesitate a bit.
Did you try to change the punch setting?

I've been able to replicate the behavior. If I hold the front of the truck to keep it from moving forward and apply throttle, it will push just a hair and cog. It won't even spin the wheels against the pavement. Then the ESC will stop responding all together. I have to shut it off and turn it back on to get it to go. I've reset the ESC and it still does it. Anyone have any ideas?

Was it easy to switch in a new pinion?

What speed do you think you are getting? 60mph?

Sick bash can't wait to get one!

Was it easy to switch in a new pinion?

What speed do you think you are getting? 60mph?

Sick bash can't wait to get one!

Yes on the pinion. Not that hard. No worries with mesh because the holes are pre-drilled. Speed is north of 50 for sure.

Yes. I'm running punch 5, which should be no punch at all.

Are you sure on that? I think the ESC is hobbywing, and the higher number usually means full punch.

Are you sure on that? I think the ESC is hobbywing, and the higher number usually means full punch.

1000% sure. With a Castle ESC, the higher the number means more puch control. With the BLX, the higher the number means the less the ESC is controling punch. Go set a Kraton to 9 and pull the trigger on 6s. You'll see :)

Ah, I think you are using punch to mean “less power” when I’m using punch to mean “max power”.

So 5 is max power mode, in which case we are in agreement.

Just to be clear, most everyone else says “more punch” to mean “more power”. Like it’s got more kick! ?

I am with BicketyBam. Punch helps CONTROL the start. So more punch = more control = softer starts. Zero Punch = no control, AKA "across the line starting" AKA 100% full power. In my mind at least. How that translates to # settings, I'll defer to ya'll.

So I swapped in a spare BLX185 ESC that I had and the truck still exhibited the same behavior. It it encounters any resistance to forward movement, the motor will just cog. If I were to attempt a tree flip, it wouldn't do it. It would start to move up the trunk and "stall" and it would do that repeatedly until I lose all response from the motor/ESC. I can only assume it's a motor issue since it does it with both the BLX100 and the BLX185. Total bummer. I sent a detailed email to Arrma support asking for an evaluation of the motor. I can't even swap in the BLX185 motor because it physically doesn't fit in the motor mount.

So I swapped in a spare BLX185 ESC that I had and the truck still exhibited the same behavior. It it encounters any resistance to forward movement, the motor will just cog. If I were to attempt a tree flip, it wouldn't do it. It would start to move up the trunk and "stall" and it would do that repeatedly until I lose all response from the motor/ESC. I can only assume it's a motor issue since it does it with both the BLX100 and the BLX185. Total bummer. I sent a detailed email to Arrma support asking for an evaluation of the motor. I can't even swap in the BLX185 motor because it physically doesn't fit in the motor mount.
It seems like this is a characteristic of a sensorless brushless motor. I could very well be wrong, but I think the motor needs to have some movement before it will put out any respectable amount of power. I noticed the same exact symptoms on my g-blx too, so you're not alone.

It seems like this is a characteristic of a sensorless brushless motor. I could very well be wrong, but I think the motor needs to have some movement before it will put out any respectable amount of power. I noticed the same exact symptoms on my g-blx too, so you're not alone.

it's strange because I have never experienced this on my blx185 machines before. Maybe they will tell me the same thing you did and that is just the way it is. But it definitely seems like it has gotten worse since I first bought the truck. I never noticed it in the beginning, and now I do.

it's strange because I have never experienced this on my blx185 machines before. Maybe they will tell me the same thing you did and that is just the way it is. But it definitely seems like it has gotten worse since I first bought the truck. I never noticed it in the beginning, and now I do.
I saw this on my first run with the blx. I noticed this phenomenon with my other granite too with a hobbywing 3652 setup in it. If I upped the pinion it got worse. Post Arrma's response when you get it. I'm curious what the story really is.

I saw this on my first run with the blx. I noticed this phenomenon with my other granite too with a hobbywing 3652 setup in it. If I upped the pinion it got worse. Post Arrma's response when you get it. I'm curious what the story really is.

I definitely will. I'm willing to send it in even if they send it back and tell me there's no notjing wrong with it. I love the 3200kv motor.

The new motor mount is different enough that the BLX185 no longer fits? Dang... I guess Arrma didn't like us using that motor in the Granite... LOL

As for the BLX185 motor not cog/stalling, I am guessing the bigger rotor give more starting torque, which make it harder to stall... But I've only ever run my BLX185 in my Granite, it never made it into one of my 1/8 chassis. Maybe in the heavier Kraton, with a huge pinion, it would stall too? IDK...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back