Granite Arrma Granite 3S BLX w/20T Pinion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Every brushless (sensorless) motor I have owned whether it be Castle, Hobbywing, Goolrc cogged (stuttered) at startup if over geared. The esc can create cogiging as well but you have tried different esc's. Bad soldering job on the motor bullets can help create resistance and create cogging as well but this would lead to heat issues. If you have ever taken a brushless motor apart not much can go wrong damage wise that can't be seen when the motor is apart maybe a broke winding can't be seen or a bad bearing be noticed. Try a smaller pinion and see if the issue persists.

I've been able to replicate the behavior. If I hold the front of the truck to keep it from moving forward and apply throttle, it will push just a hair and cog. It won't even spin the wheels against the pavement. Then the ESC will stop responding all together. I have to shut it off and turn it back on to get it to go. I've reset the ESC and it still does it. Anyone have any ideas?

If this were a sensored setup, I would say your sensor cable is bad, but since it's sensorless I'm pretty sure your ESC is going bad.

If this were a sensored setup, I would say your sensor cable is bad, but since it's sensorless I'm pretty sure your ESC is going bad.

I tried a different ESC and the problem still persisted.

I saw this on my first run with the blx. I noticed this phenomenon with my other granite too with a hobbywing 3652 setup in it. If I upped the pinion it got worse. Post Arrma's response when you get it. I'm curious what the story really is.

They sent me a response with the instructions on how to send it in for inspection. It was the standard form email response. They didn't address the issue directly, like if it was normal or not. I am going to hold off on sending it in.

Every brushless (sensorless) motor I have owned whether it be Castle, Hobbywing, Goolrc cogged (stuttered) at startup if over geared. The esc can create cogiging as well but you have tried different esc's. Bad soldering job on the motor bullets can help create resistance and create cogging as well but this would lead to heat issues. If you have ever taken a brushless motor apart not much can go wrong damage wise that can't be seen when the motor is apart maybe a broke winding can't be seen or a bad bearing be noticed. Try a smaller pinion and see if the issue persists.

I think you nailed it. It is over geared with the 20T pinion. Arrma lists 18T as the largest optional pinion for the Granite. I went back to the 15T pinion and it ran fine. I was able to climb it up a small wall and it didn't stutter/cog at all. I am going to stick with this pinion as it is plenty fast for the type of bashing I do. Thanks for the feedback. I feel much better.

Glad to hear your truck is healed, lol. I am getting one for me and the girlfriend based on this forum! So don't tell me they are faulty from the factory, haha.

Which pinion does it come stock with? 15T?

Are there speed differences between 16t, 17t, and 18t?

Thanks and keep those videos coming!

Also, what are some tire options for this guy?

Does it have standard hex wheel sizing?

I know the stock tires are quite good though (was thinking some bigger ones for the snow up here!)

For tires, remember this truck uses 14mm hexes - so unless you swap them, tires selection will be limited. Traxxas has some 14mm choices, as does Losi. Duratrax is the only aftermarket company that I know of that sells pre-mount 2.8 tires with 14mm hex rims - a search of "Duratrax 14mm 2.8" at Tower will get you the list...

Or you can swap to 12mm hexes. Traxxas and Tekno both sell some 12mm hexes for a 6mm axle and 2.5mm pin. Or swap to 17mm hexes - I got some of the cheap ones off ebay - just make sure you get ones drilled for a 6mm axle.

Glad to hear your truck is healed, lol. I am getting one for me and the girlfriend based on this forum! So don't tell me they are faulty from the factory, haha.

Which pinion does it come stock with? 15T?

Are there speed differences between 16t, 17t, and 18t?

Thanks and keep those videos coming!

It comes stock with a 15t. The motor mount comes pre-drilled for 15, 20 and 26. If you want to use any other size, you need the optional motor mount which hasn't come out yet. But the truck is a blast on 15. 16, 17 and 18 would add more top end, but not a ton.

Or you can swap to 12mm hexes. Traxxas and Tekno both sell some 12mm hexes for a 6mm axle and 2.5mm pin. Or swap to 17mm hexes - I got some of the cheap ones off ebay - just make sure you get ones drilled for a 6mm axle.

Do you have part numbers for the Traxxas or Tekno 12mm hexes? All of the Traxxas and Tekno 1/10 scale vehicles I have use something smaller than 2.5mm pins.

Not to dig up an old thread, but I have the identical "problems" as @bicketybam . Just tossed in the 20T and 2S or 3S it cogs a GOOD half second before taking off in a wheelie. Punch 5, 100% dual rate, and calibrated throttle.

I just swapped up from a 13T which is LIGHTENING fast from a dead stop. Insta-drifts, immediate pull out of corners... the only thing I don't like is that on 3S I'm pegged out at 42mph; but it gets there QUICK. Might try the 15T again and feel it out.

As stated, 20T is just out of reach on stock 3S components.

Not to dig up an old thread, but I have the identical "problems" as @bicketybam . Just tossed in the 20T and 2S or 3S it cogs a GOOD half second before taking off in a wheelie. Punch 5, 100% dual rate, and calibrated throttle.

I just swapped up from a 13T which is LIGHTENING fast from a dead stop. Insta-drifts, immediate pull out of corners... the only thing I don't like is that on 3S I'm pegged out at 42mph; but it gets there QUICK. Might try the 15T again and feel it out.

As stated, 20T is just out of reach on stock 3S components.
Time to bump up to 4S BLX120

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back