Granite Arrma Granite 4x4 6S BLX *V2*

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Megasty

RC Mod-Father
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
  2. Kraton 8S
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Kraton EXB
  5. Mojave
  6. Mojave EXB
  7. Nero
  8. Notorious
  9. Outcast 8s
  10. Outcast 6s
  11. Senton 6s
  12. Talion
Early this year I put this together. It was a Granite 4x4 Mega with MEGA 6s power that it had no way of using. Plastic diffs & driveshafts made this creature feel like I dropped a LS2 in a Civic.
0109180916 (Copy).jpg

That toy is gone. It decided to ditch its plastic guts & evolve into an all-powerful Arrma RC . . . but it wasn't easy at all. This car was made to take out the box & go straight to running, however slow that run was. It was quickly upgraded to a 1/10 brushless system where it busted rear input gears left & right. I fixed that with a mod & never looked back. 3s was fast & fun but I always thought it could do more. The chassis was thick, strong, & reinforced at all the right areas. The diffs & driveshafts, although plastic, were huge so I wanted to see just how much power it could take. Answer: A TON.

The crackling chattering diffs died in this video. 6s was way too much power. It couldn't even get much of it to the ground. So I dropped a lower kv 4s system in it & it spent the majority of its life like that, until I got bored with it. The car wanted power & I wanted to give it that gift. If this car wanted to run 6s w/o blowing parts then all the parts doing the blowing would have to be beefed up, & what's more beefier than an Arrma 6s drivetrain. Dropping the drivetrain in this car was no cakewalk. This is the most modding I ever done on any car.

1207180428 (Copy).jpg

For something born of a monster mash, it looks awfully well assembled if I do say so myself.

1207180428a (Copy).jpg

1207180428b (Copy).jpg

1207180429 (Copy).jpg

The front CVD rods came from a Redcat Earthquake while the axle hubs & hexes were from a Redcat Shredder.

1207180430 (Copy).jpg

1207180431 (Copy).jpg

Bolting in the Arrma center diff was fairly easy. I just had to cut away a bit of the center honeycomb.

1207180431a (Copy).jpg
1207180432 (Copy).jpg

The rear CVDs were a major pain. I couldn't use the Redcat stuff. I tried & only ended up with bent dogbones. The junk couldn't handle the power the rear diff was pushing out. So I went with MIP. It's not bulletproof but it's very close. So I had to mod the diffs to accept the MIPs & use a Traxxas *shudders*:eek: rear hub since I couldn't get it to fit the Arrma part for anything & have it actually hold up. 6s can destroy anything. But the things I tried even failed on 4s. So I went on & used what the MIPs were designed for. When the hub breaks, I'll just replace it with aluminum - just like Traxxas *shudders*:eek:

1207180433 (Copy).jpg

1207180435a (Copy).jpg

I had to relocate the ESC & receiver box. I used an aluminum plate for this & it also doubles as a chassis brace. There's no flex between the rear bulkhead & center diff. But there is a fair amount of flex between the front bulkhead & center diff. I'll have to get around to making some kind of brace for that as well.

1207180434 (Copy).jpg

1207180434a (Copy).jpg

1207180434b (Copy).jpg

1207180435 (Copy).jpg

I had to raise the servo the clear the dogbone. There's still absolutely no give in this mount.

1207180437 (Copy).jpg

1207180438 (Copy).jpg

This type of truggy layout is too versatile for words. I've seen many cars use this type of drivetrain in various degrees of center diff offset. This offset is more on the extreme side but it's nothing this drivetrain can't handle. I'll go over the diffs later. I had to further modify them to fit the Arrma dogbones using Arrma drive cups.

BTW, I have taken this car for a light run after everything was done. It was pretty dark out & it was only on 4s. But it was ballistic on 4s to say the least. The sound of the metal drivetrain in this car is divine.

Last edited:
Well I said I would do something when something broke & murphy came through again.

1208180530 (Copy).jpg

This is the output drive broken & stuck in the MIP driveshaft. This happened on 4s when I started to give the truck a good thrashing. It was a bit too much fun so I let loose. I gave it a full punch from a standing start & the truck went nuts. It flipped a few times & landed upside down with the driveshaft hanging from the hub. These shafts are seriously heavy and I made sure the internal diff gears would hold up by heat treating them @ 1500, 2000, 2500, & 3000 degrees: double my usual process. The pin could of snapped but the pin I used is spring steel so it's by far the strongest component in the system. So if the gears & pin won't give, that leaves the output. It was cut from an unknown part that fit the task. So it died.

So what should I replace it with. I had the MIPs with the traxxas hub carriers & it got on my nerves using trash like that so I went with a few parts sitting in a bin that would probably continue to collect dust for the foreseeable future since the car that uses them rarely breaks anything . . .

1208180531 (Copy).jpg

1208180532 (Copy).jpg

1208180533 (Copy).jpg

Yep, it's the entire outdrive cups, dogbones, axles, hubs, hexes, & upper arms from a 6s Arrma Senton. These parts fit so well that they were calling me to use them. These parts came from a roller which the chassis was used on the Zennon project. Most of the other part were sitting in a bin. This ride is evolving very quickly because of my trial & error. But I'm nearly done playing around with it. Now it's time to see some results.

I tend to keep a lot of old parts when I sell cars, especially HSP stuff since I'll occasionally build a cheapo. I have a ton of Arrma spares as well. I'll buy a cheap roller (not from the breakers) every time one pops up. I bought 2 this year. You never know when inspiration will spark. I usually can tell if a part will fit by eyeing it. It saves me the trouble of dealing with the duds too often. But mods can always fail. I'll give credit to the decade of modding Traxxas junk for that experience.

It will either turn into a turtle or a bowling ball without it.

Flipping on 4s :eek: It'll probably explode on 6s :ROFLMAO:

That things is violent! How far are you on the trigger when doing the Backflips?
Around 75%. 50% will flip it on its top & 100% flips it way too fast to even try to land it. Lvl 3 punch, btw. I tried lvl 2 punch & it would barely wheelie @ 100%. The power curve is too annoying.

Hub extensions done & wheel done. It's 15.6" long (not incl bumpers) & 15" wide. It's definitely stable now.
1215180758 (Copy).jpg
1215180758a (Copy).jpg

The rims are Traxxas junk that was at my LHS reduced for $4. The tires are Granite 4x4 that I stretched over them.

i got the new granite 4x4 blx 3s AND dropped the v3 kraton motor (4074-2050kv) in im running it off the stock blx100 esc on 3s and running the 26tooth pinion clocked it at 62mph and cant hold the front wheels down at that speed, everything running cool, esc, motor i love it!!! very clean install looks awsome

Hi Megasty,
There's a lot of work overthere. Really. I like the aluminium plate.
Just a question: what's the new weight versus original?
Thanks
PL

Hi Megasty,
There's a lot of work overthere. Really. I like the aluminium plate.
Just a question: what's the new weight versus original?
Thanks
PL
It's no light weight anymore. My stock blx is 6.32lbs, just the truck with the body. This thing is 8.52lbs. So it gained a bit :ROFLMAO:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back