Granite Arrma Granite 4x4 Mega Brushless upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Kraton 6s
awhile back we bought my fiance an Arrma Granite 4x4 Mega, it was her first RC, and she has learned alot since owning it and getting more comfortable and is ready to handle a bit more speed.
it has been awhile since i really looked into brushless stuff as i still primarily run nitro, and crawlers.
We do have the HD drive pinions, just not installed because we knew at one point we were going to go brushless, otherwise completely stock (RPM A-arms in the future, but no plans on a bunch of aluminum). at this point the truck is using NIMH batteries, in the future it will most likely see LiPo batteries.
i think i found a few options that we are looking at to put in her rig.
(initially our LHS had a few of the Kinexsis systems for sale but it seems those have been discontinued)
Hobbywing Max10
https://www.amazon.com/Hobbywing-38...otor&qid=1561488318&s=toys-and-games&sr=1-107
Dynamite Tazer 1/10 V2
https://www.amazon.com/Dynamite-S06...5Q6VHBNC2KA&psc=1&refRID=VJWFDSFVJ5Q6VHBNC2KA

of the above i am liking the tazer because of it being waterproof and the price point seems really nice, we are not going for speed runs or so gearing wont be crazy or anything just bashing around mostly dirt, a little pavement here and there etc.

i know i hear alot of good things about the Max10 SCT, i like that it is waterproof, compared to the Max10 (unless there is a waterproof version of the Max10, or it is waterproof i just didnt see that it was?) but if the extra cost isn't going to actually affect anything that we are going to be using it for, i don't really see a point in spending 40-50$ extra for it. but if it is actually worth the extra cost i wouldnt mind spending the extra bit for the right one.
Hobbywing Max10 SCT
https://www.amazon.com/38010200-Max...5Q6VHBNC2KA&psc=1&refRID=VJWFDSFVJ5Q6VHBNC2KA

any thoughts?
any other ideas in that price range?

Thanks!

As far as I know all versions of the MAX10 are waterproof. The Tazer is a rebranded neutered down Hobbywing Max10 irrc as well.

thanks for the quick response guys! i was leaning towards the hobbywing because i know them from long while back and they are still around so must be doing something right, also seems that their product is re-badged quite often by other companies with decent luck. plan on doing the 38pitch from the BLX conversion too as soon as the stock 48Pitch gears get fried, seems the BLX slipper also is quite a bit more reliable.
sorry if the thread seems a bit like beating a dead horse, but it seems like most of the times ive seen this question asked people are trying to get speedruns on 4s with the truck, which is way more than is prepared to be handled at this point.
also from what ive read hobbywing tends to be good about warranty stuff if the need arises, hope it doesn't but feel alot more comfortable with purchasing with that in mind.

so i believe that with the above responses we are going to opt for the Hobbywing Max10 /3300kv motor combo, went to Hobbywing website and it does say its waterproof, just didn't specify that on amazon where i was looking.
hoping to order today

https://www.amazon.com/Hobbywing-MA...0&qid=1562077364&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

Got the setup in last night and installed, like a dummy forgot to grab a deans connector from the LHS, so gonna grab that and some more fuel today. trying to figure out a way to raise the body mounts also.
Hoping tonight, the lady is going to be able to take the truck out on its maiden B/L voyage!
The combo looks really nice though, nice clean finish, clean install, might have to rotate the motor a bit to lower the wires though. really cant wait to see what this can do.

You're gonna love the difference. I put a 3650 3100kv motor in slotted the motor mount holes and started with a 19t pinion. I have no idea of the actual speed don't care for numbers but it's noticeably faster and a lot more fun than brushed it was to be expected but still. The power and speed increase of course improved but the longer run time compared to brushed is what I feel important to mention also. More speed, longer run time, better motor reliability and the 3650 size motors are not hard on the spur and diff inputs. I'm not sure on slipper reliability but like you will go with the 32p BLX spur/slipper if and when the 48p fails. The diffs I think will hold up the supr/slipper, the HD diff inputs and the BLX adjustable motor mount are probably the only upgrades I will make then call it good. I bumped up the pinion to a 23t and will try it soon. I have other motors and escs to try in the end a brand new BLX model would be better and cheaper but it will be fun trying my own things then experience the pitfalls myself.

6vIfaVf.jpg

For those contemplating this upgrade, the BLX also includes adjustable suspension links. The Mega are fixed bars. Just another thing to consider.

You're gonna love the difference. I put a 3650 3100kv motor in slotted the motor mount holes and started with a 19t pinion. I have no idea of the actual speed don't care for numbers but it's noticeably faster and a lot more fun than brushed it was to be expected but still. The power and speed increase of course improved but the longer run time compared to brushed is what I feel important to mention also. More speed, longer run time, better motor reliability and the 3650 size motors are not hard on the spur and diff inputs. I'm not sure on slipper reliability but like you will go with the 32p BLX spur/slipper if and when the 48p fails. The diffs I think will hold up the supr/slipper, the HD diff inputs and the BLX adjustable motor mount are probably the only upgrades I will make then call it good. I bumped up the pinion to a 23t and will try it soon. I have other motors and escs to try in the end a brand new BLX model would be better and cheaper but it will be fun trying my own things then experience the pitfalls myself.

6vIfaVf.jpg

CheapB, what motor ESC combo is that?

For those contemplating this upgrade, the BLX also includes adjustable suspension links. The Mega are fixed bars. Just another thing to consider.
eventually will probably upgrade to the BLX links, but at this point the stock fixed links are working well, so far with the beatings this truck has taken i don't really know if it would be an upgrade to ad adjustable as it may add another mechanical connection and thus another point for breakage.

6vIfaVf.jpg
thank you for the input! i have had a 3300kv /70 amp brushless setup in a few other rigs, most recently an old xl5 rustler and it is night and day with the difference. (side note: that b/l combo was a bit too much for a wheely king that was halfway through a crawler conversion lol, was hilarious to watch though) so far have not swapped out the rear to the HD input pinion as when we were installing the front we noticed the bearings were about ready to be replaced, since we did that we received the fast eddy bearing kit for the truck and going to swap those out after a few test runs with the new setup.
hoping the slipper assembly is going to hold up for now, but time will tell, she is not too aggressive with driving so should be ok for awhile but if not its not expected to last.
i am curious as well lol

To adjust the body mounts, there is a long pin that you have to drive out that locks them in place. They are just above the mount for the upper suspension links. Kinda tricky to get them pushed out if you don't have a small punch or something. Once the pin is out, you can slide the mounts up and down (there are multiple holes pre-drilled in the body mounts) and put the pin back in when you get the height you want.

On the topic of adjustable suspension links: Just this week I tried putting a set of all-metal links together with aluminum/steel rod ends and steel turnbuckles to replace the stock steering links which had gotten fairly sloppy. It didn't go well. First, the rod ends at that size were junk. They did have less slop, but after one run the bearings were falling out of the rod ends and I had to add a bunch of little spacers to keep them in place. After the second run, and doing some jumps, I badly bent one of the turnbuckles.

I haven't tried the 3S adjustable links but...well I don't really want the adjustment. I just wanted less slop in the steering, and with the plastic balls and ends I'm guessing the 3S parts will wear out just as fast as the Mega 4x4 parts.

To adjust the body mounts, there is a long pin that you have to drive out that locks them in place. They are just above the mount for the upper suspension links. Kinda tricky to get them pushed out if you don't have a small punch or something. Once the pin is out, you can slide the mounts up and down (there are multiple holes pre-drilled in the body mounts) and put the pin back in when you get the height you want.

On the topic of adjustable suspension links: Just this week I tried putting a set of all-metal links together with aluminum/steel rod ends and steel turnbuckles to replace the stock steering links which had gotten fairly sloppy. It didn't go well. First, the rod ends at that size were junk. They did have less slop, but after one run the bearings were falling out of the rod ends and I had to add a bunch of little spacers to keep them in place. After the second run, and doing some jumps, I badly bent one of the turnbuckles.

I haven't tried the 3S adjustable links but...well I don't really want the adjustment. I just wanted less slop in the steering, and with the plastic balls and ends I'm guessing the 3S parts will wear out just as fast as the Mega 4x4 parts.
thanks for the heads up with the body mounts, at a glance they looked fixed, so didnt even think about checking about more mounting holes, going to see if we can get enough adjustment from that! im so used to body mount set ups like my MGT where its literally just rods with holes drilled in all exposed.
this rig isnt going to be a "send it" rig, more or less for now a light(er) basher. may do some toe-links out of rod ends, but for the camber links going to see how the stockers do first before planning upgrades.

It's a combo I got off of Tomtop for a discounted price https://www.tomtop.com/p-rm3130-sh....gHn08zoHMT3_SVFcnZl74bS2tvaLnEiIaAomhEALw_wcB here's a link for the same thing https://www.ebay.com/itm/3650-3100K...307488?hash=item4693dae720:g:oWEAAOSwbzxctZZC. The escs can easily be made water resistant.

eventually will probably upgrade to the BLX links, but at this point the stock fixed links are working well, so far with the beatings this truck has taken i don't really know if it would be an upgrade to ad adjustable as it may add another mechanical connection and thus another point for breakage.

thank you for the input! i have had a 3300kv /70 amp brushless setup in a few other rigs, most recently an old xl5 rustler and it is night and day with the difference. (side note: that b/l combo was a bit too much for a wheely king that was halfway through a crawler conversion lol, was hilarious to watch though) so far have not swapped out the rear to the HD input pinion as when we were installing the front we noticed the bearings were about ready to be replaced, since we did that we received the fast eddy bearing kit for the truck and going to swap those out after a few test runs with the new setup.
hoping the slipper assembly is going to hold up for now, but time will tell, she is not too aggressive with driving so should be ok for awhile but if not its not expected to last.

Just FYI mine was bought as a brand new roller no electronics.

I have only had mine for a few days ran it brushed for a couple of 2s packs in 90+ heat with a fan on the motor and a 16t pinion. The speed may be fine for a beginner but to me felt really slow. I made it to LVC (5200mah) both times but the motor was pushing 180 even with a heatsink and fan. I did not run stock either ran the Titan 12T 550 and a Hobbywing WP1060 rebrand esc. I can see the the problems others have mentioned about stock electronics overheating. The brushed motor also sucks the juice out of the battery fast. Experiment over went brushless.

I purchased a DSM off road bearing kit for the Mega I had my own 5X10X4 bearings for the steering bellcrank (plastic bushings Why Arrma?). I ran one 2s pack with the 3100kv and then the single HD input I ordered came in and then changed out the bearings then put in the HD rear input didn't fail just went ahead and put it in. I think it's in how you drive and use the Granite that the plastic input, 48p spur/slipper not breaking or stripping but that's just MHO whether they need to be upgraded right away or wait to fail (if they ever do). I have not had mine long enough as others for long term testing.

The links I agree could be left alone the composite pivot balls are also on the BLX links so that slop will still be there and honestly with the saver tight and bearings in the bellcrank the steering is fine to me (I'm using a ADS-15 servo).

My first, upgrade - I will be buying a set of nice Arrma Granite BLS Ceramic Rubber Sealed Bearing Kit from Team Fast Eddy. I added the link below incase other folks would like to do the upgrade. It's like comparing apples to Oranges with your stock bearing to the Fast Eddy ones (TRUST ME).
Fast Eddy Bearings for the Granite

My first, upgrade - I will be buying a set of nice Arrma Granite BLS Ceramic Rubber Sealed Bearing Kit from Team Fast Eddy. I added the link below incase other folks would like to do the upgrade. It's like comparing apples to Oranges with your stock bearing to the Fast Eddy ones (TRUST ME).

I hope you did not order the one in the picture that's for the discontinued 2wd models.

It's a combo I got off of Tomtop for a discounted price https://www.tomtop.com/p-rm3130-sh....gHn08zoHMT3_SVFcnZl74bS2tvaLnEiIaAomhEALw_wcB here's a link for the same thing https://www.ebay.com/itm/3650-3100K...307488?hash=item4693dae720:g:oWEAAOSwbzxctZZC. The escs can easily be made water resistant.

Just FYI mine was bought as a brand new roller no electronics.

I have only had mine for a few days ran it brushed for a couple of 2s packs in 90+ heat with a fan on the motor and a 16t pinion. The speed may be fine for a beginner but to me felt really slow. I made it to LVC (5200mah) both times but the motor was pushing 180 even with a heatsink and fan. I did not run stock either ran the Titan 12T 550 and a Hobbywing WP1060 rebrand esc. I can see the the problems others have mentioned about stock electronics overheating. The brushed motor also sucks the juice out of the battery fast. Experiment over went brushless.

I purchased a DSM off road bearing kit for the Mega I had my own 5X10X4 bearings for the steering bellcrank (plastic bushings Why Arrma?). I ran one 2s pack with the 3100kv and then the single HD input I ordered came in and then changed out the bearings then put in the HD rear input didn't fail just went ahead and put it in. I think it's in how you drive and use the Granite that the plastic input, 48p spur/slipper not breaking or stripping but that's just MHO whether they need to be upgraded right away or wait to fail (if they ever do). I have not had mine long enough as others for long term testing.

The links I agree could be left alone the composite pivot balls are also on the BLX links so that slop will still be there and honestly with the saver tight and bearings in the bellcrank the steering is fine to me (I'm using a ADS-15 servo).
yeah definitely issues with getting warm, after we first got the truck, ran about 3 packs in (over the course of a few days, and with standard NIMH) and started noticing temps were getting up there, started cutting out acting like it was hitting a LVC about halfway through the battery (had a thread a few months back in here about it, yes the esc was set to NIMH mode lol) and this was in the middle of winter at around 40F, so we warrantied it (great LHS and Horizon Customer service, LHS replaced it on the spot), the replacement one seemed to have cooler temps while running but the motor was definitely getting warm. ive honestly had terrible luck with titan 12t motors, burnt up 4 of them in a month in a rustler.

+1 to this! night and day difference between a new set of standard bearings and a new set of fast eddy. great customer service finding what you need with them as well, they even helped me with some bearings for a nitro engine lol!

yeah definitely issues with getting warm, after we first got the truck, ran about 3 packs in (over the course of a few days, and with standard NIMH) and started noticing temps were getting up there, started cutting out acting like it was hitting a LVC about halfway through the battery (had a thread a few months back in here about it, yes the esc was set to NIMH mode lol) and this was in the middle of winter at around 40F, so we warrantied it (great LHS and Horizon Customer service, LHS replaced it on the spot), the replacement one seemed to have cooler temps while running but the motor was definitely getting warm. ive honestly had terrible luck with titan 12t motors, burnt up 4 of them in a month in a rustler.

I have had the same 12T Titan in a few different RC's not very long as I go brushless but the Titan has lasted for me for the last three years but mainly for testing not daily use. I think brushed motors are hit and miss with a lot of misses. You can easily overwork a brushed motor to the point of failure. Brushed is not really worth the hassle IMHO but this where a lot of people begin with brushed motors.

Attachments

• IMG_20190629_084645.jpg
    IMG_20190629_084645.jpg
    702.1 KB · Views: 101
I have had the same 12T Titan in a few different RC's not very long as I go brushless but the Titan has lasted for me for the last three years but mainly for testing not daily use. I think brushed motors are hit and miss with a lot of misses. You can easily overwork a brushed motor to the point of failure. Brushed is not really worth the hassle IMHO but this where a lot of people begin with brushed motors.
more or less coming from where my RC experience was and now coming back to the hobby after over 10 years, i kind of paused the hobby when brushless was just hitting the scene, brushed was the way to go, for beginners and racers alike, and when brushless did come out it was 200$ plus. brushed is easy, though and cheap. nowadays though you can buy chinese knock offs and be ok for under 40$ man have times changed.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back