Granite arrma Granite Mega 4x4 brushed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you stay moderate on the power, the Mega slipper can get by. If you move to a motor like the BLX100 motor (a 3660 size motor) and try to run it on 3s, yeah, the Mega slipper will have issues. The BLX100 motor on 2s, I think the slipper will work, mostly.

For pinion, start with the stock pinion, or the 17t. Watch the temps. Depending on the motor, you could try the 26t, but again, watch the temps.

If you want anything other than the 14t, 17t, or 27t, you will need to modify the motor mount, to oval or slot a mounting hole. Not hard, but some people don't like to do that kind of stuff.

If you stay moderate on the power, the Mega slipper can get by. If you move to a motor like the BLX100 motor (a 3660 size motor) and try to run it on 3s, yeah, the Mega slipper will have issues. The BLX100 motor on 2s, I think the slipper will work, mostly.

For pinion, start with the stock pinion, or the 17t. Watch the temps. Depending on the motor, you could try the 26t, but again, watch the temps.

If you want anything other than the 14t, 17t, or 27t, you will need to modify the motor mount, to oval or slot a mounting hole. Not hard, but some people don't like to do that kind of stuff.
I'm going to be using a 3900 kv brushless motor and a 17 tooth pinion gear. I will more than likely buy the hot racing metal spur gear for the mega. But I have about a month before my motor is delivered. I'll be using a 2400 NiMh battery and a 50c 2s 5200 lipo. 2s is plenty of power for me right now. Hopefully the mega slipper holds up. I also am going to be upgrading to the sealed bearings and 17 tooth metal input gear. This thing is getting expensive and I've only had this thing for 2 weeks. That's how long my stock brushed motor lasted. ?

Is that a 3650 motor, or a 3660? With the high KV, I'd start with the smaller 14t pinion, and see how it winds out. If heat is good, bump to the 17t.
It's a 3650 motor. I can't actually use my 14 tooth pinion because the grub screw head is stripped and I can't remove it from the brushed motor. I would have to buy another one to try it.

I'm going to be using a 3900 kv brushless motor and a 17 tooth pinion gear. I will more than likely buy the hot racing metal spur gear for the mega. But I have about a month before my motor is delivered. I'll be using a 2400 NiMh battery and a 50c 2s 5200 lipo. 2s is plenty of power for me right now. Hopefully the mega slipper holds up. I also am going to be upgrading to the sealed bearings and 17 tooth metal input gear. This thing is getting expensive and I've only had this thing for 2 weeks. That's how long my stock brushed motor lasted. ?

I recommend staying with plastic spur gear!

We are preferring replacing that one part instead of replacing collateral damage!

Advantages to plastic: cheap, more forgiving on meshing, less likely to destroy the pinion and motor bearing, quieter, known failure point vs other downstream components.

Arrma doesn't use a metal spur gear until the 4S line AFAIK. It's a cheap part you could buy 5 or 6 of before you get to the cost of a metal one!

I will be sticking with the plastic spur then. I have been having issues with either my esc or ttx 300 transmitter. It will randomly shut off and then reconnect. I'm not sure if it's a loose connection or if the esc is over heating. I am running the 14 tooth pinion and 3900 kv Brushless motor and 5200 50c 2s lipo. The esc has a heat sink and fan. The motor only has a heat sink but I will be installing a fan soon. I was running it today in only 70 degree weather and not running it full speed. It shut off after about 10 minutes.
I recommend staying with plastic spur gear!

We are preferring replacing that one part instead of replacing collateral damage!

Advantages to plastic: cheap, more forgiving on meshing, less likely to destroy the pinion and motor bearing, quieter, known failure point vs other downstream components.

Arrma doesn't use a metal spur gear until the 4S line AFAIK. It's a cheap part you could buy 5 or 6 of before you get to the cost of a metal one!

I will be sticking with the plastic spur then. I have been having issues with either my esc or ttx 300 transmitter. It will randomly shut off and then reconnect. I'm not sure if it's a loose connection or if the esc is over heating. I am running the 14 tooth pinion and 3900 kv Brushless motor and 5200 50c 2s lipo. The esc has a heat sink and fan. The motor only has a heat sink but I will be installing a fan soon. I was running it today in only 70 degree weather and not running it full speed. It shut off after about 10 minutes.
The granite is fairly heavy and has big weight. I am going to suggest your motor is lacking some torque and you should consider a shorter gear ratio...

I dunno what teeth you can get on a 48P 3mm pinion. But maybe look for less teeth. You'll gain low end torque and have lower temps and that will be compensated by the higher rpm of the motor for your top speed.
The 12T 550 is roughly like a 3200 kv I think(?) So you're a little underpowered I think. Maybe look for a 3660 when you can and smaller pinion until you do? A fan will probably help somewhat. Lighter tires maybe might help.

The granite is fairly heavy and has big weight. I am going to suggest your motor is lacking some torque and you should consider a shorter gear ratio...

I dunno what teeth you can get on a 48P 3mm pinion. But maybe look for less teeth. You'll gain low end torque and have lower temps and that will be compensated by the higher rpm of the motor for your top speed.
The 12T 550 is roughly like a 3200 kv I think(?) So you're a little underpowered I think. Maybe look for a 3660 when you can and smaller pinion until you do? A fan will probably help somewhat. Lighter tires maybe might help.

I did try a 12 or 13 tooth pinion and used the adjustable motor mount. I didn't have very much success in setting the gear mesh and ended up stripping out the spur gear. It's tough with the smaller teeth on the gears. I think it had more torque but I really wanted a bit more top speed. The 14 tooth struggles in short grass at a stand still if it's on a hill or small incline.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back