Arrma Granite, Senton, Typhon, Big Rock Crew Cab and Vorteks shock upgrades.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No I thought I didn't have a link in the first post to any spacers and was like :facepalm: how did I forget that.

Yeah M3 is the ID of the spacer they come in a variety of thicknesses. I'm pretty sure I have some M3 shims that are 0.1mm.
Much appreciated.

With the amount of money and time I've spent guessing and getting purchases and installs wrong (due to misunderstanding after searching this site, FB groups, and Youtube), I could just pay one of you guys to create some new youtube videos where you 1.) just explain all the terminology and how its used (shims vs washers, pre-load adjustments on shocks etc.), and 2.) show where dummies like me get stuck during repairs, so we don't end up with an extra ball bearing, a few washers, and like 5 screws after attempting to put fluid in the front diff (that's a true story)

Thanks for the help

Much appreciated.

With the amount of money and time I've spent guessing and getting purchases and installs wrong (due to misunderstanding after searching this site, FB groups, and Youtube), I could just pay one of you guys to create some new youtube videos where you 1.) just explain all the terminology and how its used (shims vs washers, pre-load adjustments on shocks etc.), and 2.) show where dummies like me get stuck during repairs, so we don't end up with an extra ball bearing, a few washers, and like 5 screws after attempting to put fluid in the front diff (that's a true story)

Thanks for the help
Go to YouTube and find @razorrc 's channel. He has fantastic videos on setup, maintenance, fixes, and lots more.

Has anyone found a good front spring for the Vorteks?

Looks like the Axial part (AXA31284) is now discontinued.

Will the Typhon 6s TLR Shocks also fit the Arrma 3s Big Rock, like the normal Tyhon 6s ones?
Are there lighter/softer springs available?
Thanks

Will the Typhon 6s TLR Shocks also fit the Arrma 3s Big Rock, like the normal Tyhon 6s ones?
Thanks
I fitted the V1 4s Kraton/outcast springs to the Typhon 6s shocks on my 3s Typhon.

BigP
Thanks
From my understanding the size of the TLR to the BLX are the same, the only difference is that one is smoother than the other. In regards to lighter or softer springs, I haven't seen any replacements for these alone for a 6s. I know there are replacement parts for harder and softer springs from Hotracing for the 3s though, but i haven't tried them.

Thanks

The TLRT shocks are 5mm longer iirc.

Last edited:
I have a used big rock v2 and it came with the zd shocks that were leaking badly. So I went with the 6s mojave front for front and kraton front for the rear. They are super stiff on the kraton front springs and not as stiff on the Mojave ones but, a lot different. Does anyone have any spring suggestions for softer springs for the kraton 6s front shocks being used on the rear for a big rock?

Why didn't anyone tell me that I spelled Vorteks wrong in the thread title? And how did it take me a year and a half to notice? 🤦‍♂️

Vorteks 3s BLX Shocks:

In the two weeks of ownership, I've broken 3 front shocks.
Event 1: bent front shaft (nose dived into a hard landing face)
Event 2: bent front shaft and sheared off upper plastic mount (hit a metal track barrier at the indoor carpet track)
Event 3: snapped front shaft (something at a skatepark... to be expected)

The first two times I bought OEM replacement parts to rebuild the shocks. The last time I ordered a full set of replacement shocks from Jennys RC.
I wanted to go the Limitless/Infraction/Felony route for the fronts, but I couldn't find the recommended Axial spring in stock anywhere. The Mojave 6s shocks look promising for the rear, but I have yet to break a rear shock at this time.

Also, just based on eye-to-eye length, it looks like the Rustler 4x4 shocks should work as well. 86mm eye-to-eye on the front and 103mm eye-to-eye on the rear (87 and 109 on the vorteks). Might be another promising route for the Vorteks.

s1MX5YS.jpg

D2blclA.jpg

Vorteks 3s BLX Shocks:

In the two weeks of ownership, I've broken 3 front shocks.
Event 1: bent front shaft (nose dived into a hard landing face)
Event 2: bent front shaft and sheared off upper plastic mount (hit a metal track barrier at the indoor carpet track)
Event 3: snapped front shaft (something at a skatepark... to be expected)

The first two times I bought OEM replacement parts to rebuild the shocks. The last time I ordered a full set of replacement shocks from Jennys RC.
I wanted to go the Limitless/Infraction/Felony route for the fronts, but I couldn't find the recommended Axial spring in stock anywhere. The Mojave 6s shocks look promising for the rear, but I have yet to break a rear shock at this time.

Also, just based on eye-to-eye length, it looks like the Rustler 4x4 shocks should work as well. 86mm eye-to-eye on the front and 103mm eye-to-eye on the rear (87 and 109 on the vorteks). Might be another promising route for the Vorteks.

s1MX5YS.jpg

D2blclA.jpg

The Proline Powerstroke and Traxxas GTR shocks are both listed but I would not go Ultra or Big Bores for the same reasons all the Traxxas guys opt for the Prolines or the GTRs.

The Proline Powerstroke and Traxxas GTR shocks are both listed but I would not go Ultra or Big Bores for the same reasons all the Traxxas guys opt for the Prolines or the GTRs.

Yes thanks for pointing that out. Prolines were a bit rich for my taste. Might try the GTRs next, though I'm not sure how much of a durability upgrade those would be.

but I couldn't find the recommended Axial spring in stock anywhere.
Here-
https://www.amainhobbies.com/axial-...IKKhVNEnopz_w_L6lrpl7JO4k9m9UJahoCPLwQAvD_BwE
The 6S shocks are the absolute best option. They are literally bomb proof on 3s cars. Might as well get a set of front Kraton shocks for the rear. It’ll it will drive so much better and be much more durable.

When you finally decide to go 3s, make sure to put a reinforcement on the rear spur hub by cutting out the inner race from a spur bearing and sliding it over the rear hub before clicking it in.

Here-
https://www.amainhobbies.com/axial-...IKKhVNEnopz_w_L6lrpl7JO4k9m9UJahoCPLwQAvD_BwE
The 6S shocks are the absolute best option. They are literally bomb proof on 3s cars. Might as well get a set of front Kraton shocks for the rear. It’ll it will drive so much better and be much more durable.

When you finally decide to go 3s, make sure to put a reinforcement on the rear spur hub by cutting out the inner race from a spur bearing and sliding it over the rear hub before clicking it in.

Thanks for the tip about the rear spur hub! A little hard for me to visualize without seeing the parts in front of me but I'll save this knowledge in the back of my mind for when the time comes.

The part you linked seems to be the silicone bushings, not the actual spring. For the front I need the Limitless/Infraction/Felony rear shocks, but those come with a spring that is way too stiff. So the original post on this thread recommends an Axial spring with a much closer spring rate to the stock Vorteks shocks, but that is the part I can't find anywhere.

https://www.amazon.com/AXIAL-AX31284-Spring-40mm-6-3/dp/B012FV95PM

Thanks for the tip about the rear spur hub! A little hard for me to visualize without seeing the parts in front of me but I'll save this knowledge in the back of my mind for when the time comes.

The part you linked seems to be the silicone bushings, not the actual spring. For the front I need the Limitless/Infraction/Felony rear shocks, but those come with a spring that is way too stiff. So the original post on this thread recommends an Axial spring with a much closer spring rate to the stock Vorteks shocks, but that is the part I can't find anywhere.

https://www.amazon.com/AXIAL-AX31284-Spring-40mm-6-3/dp/B012FV95PM
I got mixed up and thought you needed the bushing. Just going through surgery and not all here. I didn’t have to deal with the springs. I did not like the short front suspension on my vorteks after awhile, so I put a granite front tower on it and ran Mojave front shocks.

I would double check your information also. I know there are team associated springs that fit the Mojave front shock and 6s Kraton front shocks that have a better spring rate (yellow) for the other 3S line… but the Vorteks has a much shorter spring. Also, I’ve never heard of Axial making springs that would fit any of the cars. But I may be wrong.

I don't have the measurements for these mp9 tki4 but I can tell you i sat them next to the stock big rock shocks and they are close enough it doesn't matter. Rears are prob 10mm longer but once on they settle perfectly.
I used traxxas shock bushings trimmed down up top and a small spacer on bottom between the shock and arm to keep them away from the cv's.
Fits absolutely amazing.

20230620_130243.jpg

20230620_130349.jpg

20230620_130326.jpg

Back