Granite Arrma Granite V3 MEGA 550 or Granite 4x2 Boost advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BooTheTerrible

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Just looking to get some advise on what car to purchase for my son's (3) birthday and after some research i was leading towards the 4x2 Boost before finding these forums. I've been looking around here and it seems that the 4x2 isn't viewed as a great car and it would be better to just get the 4x4 version. I believe the electronics are better in the 4x4 version as well. Is this correct?

My original intention was to let my son get used to driving (@50% speed) the 2x4 and then look to upgrade to the 4x4 in a few years time if he's interested in the hobby. I'm comfortable in installing upgrade so i don't think that would be a consideration.

I've open to other suggestions my budget would be a maximum of £300 and ideally that would be with a second battery.

4x4’s are infinitely easier to drive than 4x2’s. When I started out I wish I’d just gone the little bit extra and gone 4x4 right out of the gate.

I have the 3S Senton and so do my boys (13/15 years old). None of us can control these things... they are so fast and squirrely.

I'm not sure how the boost compares, I am sure it is significantly less powerful. If I had bough my boys these trucks when they were 3, everything within a 100m radius would be dented to hell from impacts.

Welcome to the forum! Whatever vehicle you decide on, your little guy will need close supervision. Agree with Dan, that 4x4 is easier to drive right out of the gate. Enjoy!

I started with the granite mega V3, and for my son (6) it was perfect. Big open space, and he could use 100% throttle, but he ran mostly on 50%. We did burn stock motor (summertime~25°C), when driving 2 packs of batteries back-to-back. Got new on warranty, but was a little bummed when it happened.
I started with the granite mega V3, and for my son (6) it was perfect. Big open space, and he could use 100% throttle, but he ran mostly on 50%. We did burn stock motor (summertime~25°C), when driving 2 packs of batteries back-to-back. Got new on warranty, but was a little bummed when it happened.
And since it's years down the road, the extra money for (maybe) upgrade, it seems to be reasonable.
Oh, yes, it was the 4x4, if mega didn't say it.

On the transmitter you can limit the throttle to 50 75 or 100% I would suggest setting at 50 initially and let him enjoy. It's actually better to make it drivable rather than out of control and discouraging. Enjoy. I'm 54 now and I've been in and out of this hobby since my parents got me first hobby grade rc at 13. I'll forever charish those days racing with my dad.

On the transmitter you can limit the throttle to 50 75 or 100% I would suggest setting at 50 initially and let him enjoy. It's actually better to make it drivable rather than out of control and discouraging. Enjoy. I'm 54 now and I've been in and out of this hobby since my parents got me first hobby grade rc at 13. I'll forever charish those days racing with my dad.
thanks, i had seen that on the specs i'll be definitely keeping it at 50% for him.

Unless you’re sold on Arrma and plan on getting more into it yourself, I suggest checking out the Team Associated MT10. The brushless version is extremely durable and they now have a brushed version. It’s lighter, a bit more manageable and has a center diff instead instead of a slipper clutch. The throttle can also be dialed way down for kids. I got the brushless version a couple of years ago, beat the ever living crud out of it for months and only bent the motor mount, which was cheap to replace.

Now it’s my 10 year old step daughters car and the guest car when needed. It’s required very little maintenance and up keep. I started with a mega granite, that I eventually upgraded to 3s, and now have several 3, 4 and 6s cars. Arrmas are just more hands on I’ve found. Of course I drive the hell out of them and tend to break them often. But I love wrenching on them also. The mt10 just impressed me with its durability. I don’t like how it drives but love how solid it is.

I've got the Granite Mega v3 and my 6 year old could drive it just fine on 50% then 100%. Pretty durable but ALL the electrics died on it, everything.
I recently upgraded it to 3S using the BLX parts, so there is an upgrade path later on.

I've got the Granite Mega v3 and my 6 year old could drive it just fine on 50% then 100%. Pretty durable but ALL the electrics died on it, everything.
I recently upgraded it to 3S using the BLX parts, so there is an upgrade path later on.
Do you know what caused it?
My brushed motor died of overheating, but the esc and servo is fine.

The servo was the first to go, its just cheap rubbish so I replaced it with an EcoBoost one from Aliexpress which makes a big difference, you'll need a different servo saver as this has more or less teeth, can't remember which. I think I just took too many hits and couldn't handle it.

The ESC was the next to go and I think that was due to over heating because I drive the thing likes it stolen the whole time. It wasn't fast enough for me, should have just got the BLX instead lol.

Finally the motor burnt out and that was the last straw since it wasn't covered by warranty anymore.
The receiver and battery are good, still working as they should.

I decided to replace it all with BLX parts so I could have double the power.

The servo was the first to go, its just cheap rubbish so I replaced it with an EcoBoost one from Aliexpress which makes a big difference, you'll need a different servo saver as this has more or less teeth, can't remember which. I think I just took too many hits and couldn't handle it.

The ESC was the next to go and I think that was due to over heating because I drive the thing likes it stolen the whole time. It wasn't fast enough for me, should have just got the BLX instead lol.

Finally the motor burnt out and that was the last straw since it wasn't covered by warranty anymore.
The receiver and battery are good, still working as they should.

I decided to replace it all with BLX parts so I could have double the power.
I see. I went with the brushless system after a couple of week, since it was not enough speed for me 🤣 had to get another car for the kid afterwards 😅 he is pretty good at driving, so I let him try the granite at 50% 😊👍

Hi All. I am new to the forum but not new the hobby. I currently have a Typhon Mega V3 and Senton Mega V3 for my kids. I have wanted to get a Granite for sometime. I originally wanted to get a BLX though I think it would be too fast kids right now. They drive their Mega's at 50-75% speed. I happen to catch the current sale on the Granite Boost at Tower. After 4x points back, I can get it for around $135. Is it really that awful a platform? We only have NIMH or Nitro right now anyways across all of our RCs (Tamiya's , HPI , Traxxas, Duratrax) , so I prefer to stick with NIMH to avoid adding just another battery platform. Given the low price , is a Granite Boost a decent enough platform to upgrade over the years? I figure I could eventually get a brushless motor/ESC from Jenny's RC or some equivalent, when we are ready for more speed. Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi All. I am new to the forum but not new the hobby. I currently have a Typhon Mega V3 and Senton Mega V3 for my kids. I have wanted to get a Granite for sometime. I originally wanted to get a BLX though I think it would be too fast kids right now. They drive their Mega's at 50-75% speed. I happen to catch the current sale on the Granite Boost at Tower. After 4x points back, I can get it for around $135. Is it really that awful a platform? We only have NIMH or Nitro right now anyways across all of our RCs (Tamiya's , HPI , Traxxas, Duratrax) , so I prefer to stick with NIMH to avoid adding just another battery platform. Given the low price , is a Granite Boost a decent enough platform to upgrade over the years? I figure I could eventually get a brushless motor/ESC from Jenny's RC or some equivalent, when we are ready for more speed. Thanks!
The boost is a mega, just w/o 4wd. So I'm almost considering buying them as spares to my granite 3S 😅 they are a little different than 3s with the tie rods,(not adjustable) other than that, chassis and all except electronic is the same as far as I know.

Depends what you want to so. I'm quite the opposite as some here. I bought 2 boosts to race my kid with. They are fast enough imo

Not going for speed records. We race in a yard course. Very short mowed grass

Yeah. I've had to replace a motor and an esc... they replaced that for free. And 2 gears. But it's been 2 months of 1 or 2 or even 3 packs a day and full speed racing for them.

Still 2wd and loving it.

I like using something that isn't made for much and seeing what I can do as well

There seems to be 2 versions of boost cars

One is 150 and one is 200. 200 way better than then 150 priced ones

Vortex may be more race friendly than granite. Ps. Yeah. I got 2 vortexes

Depends what you want to so. I'm quite the opposite as some here. I bought 2 boosts to race my kid with. They are fast enough imo

Not going for speed records. We race in a yard course. Very short mowed grass

Yeah. I've had to replace a motor and an esc... they replaced that for free. And 2 gears. But it's been 2 months of 1 or 2 or even 3 packs a day and full speed racing for them.

Still 2wd and loving it.

I like using something that isn't made for much and seeing what I can do as well

There seems to be 2 versions of boost cars

One is 150 and one is 200. 200 way better than then 150 priced ones

Vortex may be more race friendly than granite. Ps. Yeah. I got 2 vortexes
Didn't know there where 2 versions.

Thanks for the replies! I didn't realize there was any difference between Boost versions beyond the inclusion of a battery/charger, but I will look into it further.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back