Arrma Infraction 3D printed side skirts V3 (updated with XL rock deflector)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did some research yesterday when this came up and put first the Ender 5 and then the CR 10 into a wishlist for future research. If I can stay around $500 including necessary mods I'll be good to go. Still haven't done enough reading to understand the material differences or software learning curve, etc. I'm motivated though and plan to watch some more tutorials and study more soon.
I got the Ender 3 Pro - better build surface, replaced with glass though, better PSU etc - only change I added a Petfang setup to it and a few other bits like installing Klipper3d firmware onto a RaspberryPi, BLTouch probe etc etc all in all happy with it - wouldnt go for the standard Ender3 had a look at it initially and decided against it

I have an Ender 5 with the Silent board, BLTouch, Capricorn PTFE tube, upgraded fans, and a glass bed running Marlin 2.0

It has been a learning experience to say the least. My stock metal bed was warped badly and was the cause of a lot of my issues. That and the bowden tube jamming.

I have an Ender 5 with the Silent board, BLTouch, Capricorn PTFE tube, upgraded fans, and a glass bed running Marlin 2.0

It has been a learning experience to say the least. My stock metal bed was warped badly and was the cause of a lot of my issues. That and the bowden tube jamming.

The learning part motivates me. Never too late to gain more knowledge imo. Bonus is possibly printing some useful stuff and hopefully helping others get prints that may not have a machine at their disposal.
Also seems like jump in costs are on the drop with more machine options on the market.

I'd really like a 3D printer but I'm no good at waiting...??? maybe I'll finally buy one when they are able to print stuff in 5 minutes..?

I'd really like a 3D printer but I'm no good at waiting...??? maybe I'll finally buy one when they are able to print stuff in 5 minutes..?

that's easy... start your print.. have a few pints.. forget you printed.. a few days later you remember and bam.. just like star trek. :)

ender 3 for the win! fraction of the cost of your rc rigs... ($170-$240)

great print quality with proper slicer settings (as with any printer, the slicer settings are what gives you quality)

decent build volume

small footprint (smaller than most laptops)

mesh leveling is a luxury, its not needed.. i find it's more important to do things manually to learn what the machine wants and how to manipulate it into functioning properly.. (i feel you learn more in the end).. ive had several 3d printers for years, ive done pretty much everything from rapid prototyping for a couple us patents, to simple flat butterflies for my daughter on sub $200 dollar printers all the way up to $800 printers.. the end results can be the same..

start with pla, its the easiest printing material, and things like fan shrouds will hold up fine in that material..

the only thing a ender 3 needs to be a great printer is capricorn ptfe liner.. its the perfect machine to get your feet wet in 3d printing for very little money... you can spend 800 on a mk3 prusa or 170 on an ender 3 and get the same print qualities.. the extra money gets you bells and whistles, nothing more... (my opinion of course)

geain of salt...??

All this new to me lexicon is my next bit to study. I don't know what ptfe liner is, etc. Once I get some quality time in front of the pc, I'll try to find a glossary of terms and try to get a handle on the understanding.
have a few pints

This part I'm pretty good at already.

All this new to me lexicon is my next bit to study. I don't know what ptfe liner is, etc. Once I get some quality time in front of the pc, I'll try to find a glossary of terms and try to get a handle on the understanding.

This part I'm pretty good at already.
The bowden tube is the conduit that your filament travels thru from the feed stepper motor to the print head (hot end).

The bowden tube is the conduit that your filament travels thru from the feed stepper motor to the print head (hot end).

I guess there are good, better and best quality options for this part? Sounds like these machines can be modified which sounds like more fun.

I guess there are good, better and best quality options for this part? Sounds like these machines can be modified which sounds like more fun.
Heck yeah. It’s just like anything. You can mod them till the cows come home... or the chickens come home to roost. ?? ?

as @jondilly1974 says there are plenty probably too many options and everyone's milage will differ as those cheap machines differ - but you will get to a point where it works for you and you stop tinkering with it as the prints work out just fine - the only complaint by anyone I know is the actual print speed - there is no printer in the world that could chuck out the parts in a reasonable time printing this way - heat up your filament, cool it down and move the hotend at speed etc just doesn't work - physics ... so start your print, hope for the best, do something else and keep wishing for printing a 250x250x300 print in less than an hour ...

as @jondilly1974 says there are plenty probably too many options and everyone's milage will differ as those cheap machines differ - but you will get to a point where it works for you and you stop tinkering with it as the prints work out just fine - the only complaint by anyone I know is the actual print speed - there is no printer in the world that could chuck out the parts in a reasonable time printing this way - heat up your filament, cool it down and move the hotend at speed etc just doesn't work - physics ... so start your print, hope for the best, do something else and keep wishing for printing a 250x250x300 print in less than an hour ...

I don't need speed. I could start a print before I leave for work and hope it's doing well enough to please me when I get back home. Haven't priced the filament yet and I assume there will lots of trial and error.

I don't need speed. I could start a print before I leave for work and hope it's doing well enough to please me when I get back home. Haven't priced the filament yet and I assume there will lots of trial and error.
Filament is cheap enough, $15-$20 a spool. But some of my parts take days to print. But I’m printing at the best quality I can. I’d rather have the best part over speed.

fwiw... I updated the model to include the little nibs that fit in the frame of the screw holes. I should have it test printed and posted by tonight. I am debating putting some airfoils underneath as a test but would have to use supports then when printing. Going to finish working on the fronts next.

1583965190967.png

fwiw... I updated the model to include the little nibs that fit in the frame of the screw holes. I should have it test printed and posted by tonight. I am debating putting some airfoils underneath as a test but would have to use supports then when printing. Going to finish working on the fronts next.

View attachment 69405
I had the same thoughts when I made my Typhon side skirts. But I wanted the nice clean logo instead of support marks. I guess I could print them upside down and the inside can be the support surface side ?

Do you think the airfoil fins really help? If so I might give it a go.

I had the same thoughts when I made my Typhon side skirts. But I wanted the nice clean logo instead of support marks. I guess I could print them upside down and the inside can be the support surface side ?

Do you think the airfoil fins really help? If so I might give it a go.

I have no clue hehe I was thinking of airfoils (for turbulence) or even model smaller versions of the indents on the chassis for downforce. I guess too much downforce could be an issue too tho

When looking at the bottom of the X01 you will see they don’t have anything on the sides, but the rear does have a diffuser. Same with the Limitless and Infraction rear. But I don’t know what having a small diffuser in front of the rear wheels would do.

When looking at the bottom of the X01 you will see they don’t have anything on the sides, but the rear does have a diffuser. Same with the Limitless and Infraction rear. But I don’t know what having a small diffuser in front of the rear wheels would do.

if I had to guess it prob wouldn't make much difference since you couldn't really make them substantial enough before they were too long and got close to hitting the ground. I suppose there's only one way to find out. Now if it would just hurry up and get warmer.

I'll modify these for the limitless if someone has a set of calipers and give me precise measurements from innerlip of the plastic piece the screws go into out to the outer bodyline.

JJ6G9Q4KFKB4YWKM69V9HHWPKHYD6BJ9PVK32N8GZAKYCKBDVZ.jpg

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back