Infraction ARRMA Infraction heat issue - remedy?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Senton 6s
Hi!

I've run the Infraction three times and all of them resulted in a heat cut off, before running out of juice (6S, 4 000 mAh).

I'm guessing air can't get through the body enough to cool things down, since all the electronics get hot.

After the second run I opened the two center "headlights" into holes, the two air intake scoops in the hood and also the two "holes" on each front fender.

It looks like the rear is open enough to let the air get out, unless there's some aerodynamic thing going on.

Still got the heat cut off today, but I was drifting around a wet 1:10 tarmac course, so not very high speeds - i.e. not much airflow.

It's been around 18-20 degrees Celsius (65-68 F), so far from hot.

I'll give it another go with the holes I have, or I might open up the whole front around the headlights and put in actual mesh.

Has anyone been successful in getting the temps down? Looking at heatsinks for the motor to increase its lifespan, but it won't stop the ESC from overheating.

Shame, since it's a blast to throw it around. ?

I think you may be overheating due to the small battery? 4000mah may not provide enough power, leading to high temps. What is the C rating on that pack?

I think you may be overheating due to the small battery? 4000mah may not provide enough power, leading to high temps. What is the C rating on that pack?
A 4000mah 45c 6s lipo has more amperage output than a 5000mah 35c 6s lipo from the same manufacturer just so you know. It's not all about mah the C rate also plays a role in this as well.

I use 3S 4500 and 7400 90C. (y)
I drift continuously with this truck and once it stopped because it was really hot with the 7400.

I could not touch the tires because it was so hot.
From days I take the 4500 and the evening the 7400. (y)

Like that, I give the truck a break. ?
Yvan

I installed heatsink/fans to help cool down the motor
100038A2-7402-4FC5-AC21-AA3544DCD6E3.jpeg
78D6CD67-AF1C-42C4-B2E0-35603F25B909.jpeg

A 4000mah 45c 6s lipo has more amperage output than a 5000mah 35c 6s lipo from the same manufacturer just so you know. It's not all about mah the C rate also plays a role in this as well.
That’s why I asked about his C rating ??‍♂️

No. The battery might overheat if the pack is under spec, but not the ESC and motor. (Edit: Indirectly a hot battery will heat the air inside the body, which might lead to the ESC getting bad cooling effect).

In any case it's a 60C Turnigy pack. 4 000 mAh x 60C = 240 Amps. Well above the BLX 185 ESC capacity of 150 Amps continuous.

Here's a guy who just smoked an ESC in his Infraction, after continuous heat shut downs:

I installed heatsink/fans to help cool down the motor

I'm going to do the same, but I want a heat sink with the fan blowing from the front to the back of the car. Makes more sense to try and get the air moving in that direction inside the body. I'm sure the Yeah Racing heat sink and fans will help cool the motor, but I'm looking at the bigger picture so to speak. ?

Last edited:
No. The battery might overheat if the pack is under spec, but not the ESC and motor. (Edit: Indirectly a hot battery will heat the air inside the body, which might lead to the ESC getting bad cooling effect).

In any case it's a 60C Turnigy pack. 4 000 mAh x 60C = 240 Amps. Well above the BLX 185 ESC capacity of 150 Amps continuous.

Here's a guy who just smoked an ESC in his Infraction, after continuous heat shut downs:

I'm going to do the same, but I want a heat sink with the fan blowing from the front to the back of the car. Makes more sense to try and get the air moving in that direction inside the body. I'm sure the Yeah Racing heat sink and fans will help cool the motor, but I'm looking at the bigger picture so to speak. ?
Haha that’s not “a guy”, that’s @RC DUDE81 ? He’s an active member here. Legendary member tbh.

Haha that’s not “a guy”, that’s @RC DUDE81 ? He’s an active member here. Legendary member tbh.

Its @RC DUDE81 the 96mph stock Infraction slayer..!!! "some guy"????

Getting back on topic though, I'm not suffering heat issues but I'm in the UK and the weather is, well it's the UK ?
I had thought of cutting the front grill intakes out for more air flow, but after my other post about body damage I'm not sure its the best plan.
So I've got a pair of WTF Windy fans on standby..?? and yes they really do blow..!!

Its @RC DUDE81 the 96mph stock Infraction slayer..!!! "some guy"????

Getting back on topic though, I'm not suffering heat issues but I'm in the UK and the weather is, well it's the UK ?
I had thought of cutting the front grill intakes out for more air flow, but after my other post about body damage I'm not sure its the best plan.
So I've got a pair of WTF Windy fans on standby..?? and yes they really do blow..!!

?Well, I do call my bad on the ESC in this one. Like I said in the vid, I have been pushing the system to it's max without a cap pack to try and achieve 100mph. I had done lots of test runs in the past weeks with it and more than likely caused damage to the ESC. It had been acting up before the fire. It was falling out of programming and had to keep setting throttle end points too. The ESC was running way hotter than the motor before it blew. Not normal! I wasn't even pushing it hard so I believe it had prior damage and just let go!:rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

Today I actually got to finish two packs. ?

One 6S but I hade a large and deep puddle, where the car went swimming from time to time. ?

Hard to overheat stuff then. ?

I also ran it on a 4S 6,6 Amps no issue. No swimming at that location. It was more fun than I imagined on 4S. More touring than bashing, but still plenty of power. ? Motor got hot, but I could keep my fingers on it.

Regarding pinion I'm on the stock small pinion, so it should be fine.

@RC DUDE81 can you write a few words about your heat shutdowns. Is that why the original ESC went back to Arrma?

Today I actually got to finish two packs. ?

One 6S but I hade a large and deep puddle, where the car went swimming from time to time. ?

Hard to overheat stuff then. ?

I also ran it on a 4S 6,6 Amps no issue. No swimming at that location. It was more fun than I imagined on 4S. More touring than bashing, but still plenty of power. ? Motor got hot, but I could keep my fingers on it.

Regarding pinion I'm on the stock small pinion, so it should be fine.

@RC DUDE81 can you write a few words about your heat shutdowns. Is that why the original ESC went back to Arrma?
The original went out after the first run/video. No thermal shutdown ever happened either as I kept check on temps. It just went into program mode and got stuck there. :unsure:

No thermal shutdown ever happened either as I kept check on temps.

Sorry, I must have mixed up your video with someone else's. Can't find what I've watched either, seems like I've seen a lot of Infraction videos. ?

Someone talked about the usual 3-5 minutes before thermal shut down.

Glad it's not every Infraction! ?

Just bought the same fans and heatsink. Did you need a splitter or did they reach the Reciever fine?
Not sure how long the wires are on the Yeah Racing fans but I know my Trackstar fans I needed a short extension to reach the receiver box.

Not sure how long the wires are on the Yeah Racing fans but I know my Trackstar fans I needed a short extension to reach the receiver box.
Ah gotcha, thanks. I guess I'll try and see what happens.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back