Infraction Arrma Infraction Titanium Wheels

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Archie21t

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to make titanium wheels for my Infraction. I was wondering if anyone had any reasons not to? I am going to be machining exact replicas of the current wheel just it will be made out of titanium. I am doing this because I'm just not getting enough sparks from my small skid plates and I'm hoping in the future to make the whole skid plate out of titanium.
If anyone is interested in the wheels please do contact me and I will upload some pictures once I have made them.
Archie

I won't be gluing the tires on as I want the titanium to touch the ground the tires will have very little grip but will be extreme spark tires and extreme drift tires.
What's the deal with sparks? I've heard about people wanting a lot of sparks but never understood why. Other than the visual effects, why sparks?

What's the deal with sparks? I've heard about people wanting a lot of sparks but never understood why. Other than the visual effects, why sparks?
I think I want the titanium tires partially because they will look cool especially when they are first put on but also I am one for getting cool photos at night of my RC car and I use a race track sometimes and the metal wheels would be able to grip that. But I think I just want sparks because it looks really cool and would look sick at night. It would also replicate the car from the hoonigan show when they did that once.

I think I want the titanium tires partially because they will look cool especially when they are first put on but also I am one for getting cool photos at night of my RC car and I use a race track sometimes and the metal wheels would be able to grip that. But I think I just want sparks because it looks really cool and would look sick at night. It would also replicate the car from the hoonigan show when they did that once.
👍

Last night I was mowing the lawn and sparks came out of the lawnmower
chappelles show dancing GIF

Last edited:
I won't be gluing the tires on as I want the titanium to touch the ground the tires will have very little grip but will be extreme spark tires and extreme drift tires.
So you want to just run rims with no tires? Like a police car chase where the tire blew out the rim? Sounds like it will not go very fast due to no traction.

So you want to just run rims with no tires? Like a police car chase where the tire blew out the rim? Sounds like it will not go very fast due to no traction.
I’m not looking for speed only sparks, looks and the noise. It will go really slow and just spin out the tires but that is what I am aiming for to get the most sparks. As the friction of the titanium against tarmac will cause a lot of sparks.

Then you should just take some old tires and make studded ice tires with titanium screws and run on the street. Bet would make sparks, and be WAY cheaper and easier than making a full TI rim/tire.

Then you should just take some old tires and make studded ice tires with titanium screws and run on the street. Bet would make sparks, and be WAY cheaper and easier than making a full TI rim/tire.
True true. I think I would like to try making the tires myself out of a solid billet of titanium purely for enjoyment and also to help teach myself to use some of my machines. But for right now that would be a better way of doing it and defo a lot cheaper than a solid titanium billet and I could get a result right now.

What alot of people don't realize is titanium is flamable especially the dust it can spontanious combust. So having flammable metal shooting sparks next to a bomb is not exactly the safest thing you can do. If you want a camp fire with your rig by all means go for it.....

What alot of people don't realize is titanium is flamable especially the dust it can spontanious combust. So having flammable metal shooting sparks next to a bomb is not exactly the safest thing you can do. If you want a camp fire with your rig by all means go for it.....
Have you seen his avatar pic? Pretty sure just making sparks would be much safer...ha.

1620736182976.png

That’s a decent point. I think the easiest way to prevent a fire is only running if for very short times and I have already got the scorched parts inner fenders but I will 3D print some more and add a protective skin of some metal to it. I think that would reduce the likelihood of a fire.

That’s a decent point. I think the easiest way to prevent a fire is only running if for very short times and I have already got the scorched parts inner fenders but I will 3D print some more and add a protective skin of some metal to it. I think that would reduce the likelihood of a fire.
Not when the metal itself can catch fire. I think it's all around a bad idea. But hey do what ya want.

Not when the metal itself can catch fire. I think it's all around a bad idea. But hey do what ya want.
Well when I say 3D print I mean all the protective shields around the wheels will be made out of 3D printed stainless steel parts but as thin as possible to keep weight down.
Have you seen his avatar pic? Pretty sure just making sparks would be much safer...ha.

View attachment 145022
I’m planning on putting 4 on next time but I’m building a proper mount to go onto the top of the roof which will look a lot better.

Knowing now more clearly what you are trying to do.... I think you could save yourself a ton of time, money, and material just making a ring that fits over the original tire.

I recall such a thing in the early 2000's for drifting, but don't see it online anymore. The tires had a groove cut out of them and you would fit a plastic ring into that grove that was slightly taller than the rubber tire. This allowed some grip from the rubber tire but mostly the plastic ring touched the ground and allowed the drift tires to slide easily. You could put your infraction tires on a lathe and cut out a small groove then fit a titanium ring over the tire into that groove. Easy sparks without having to re-invent the wheel ;)

Or maybe make an oversize beadlock ring out of Ti instead of a whole wheel. Titanium is stupid expensive right now, for some reason. Just like any other material at the moment. When you do get going, keep your chip tray clean while you are working or use flood coolant. The base metal won't burn unless it gets blast furnace hot, but the chips will go up like magnesium if a spark lands on them. Easy to prevent. It's not gunpowder, it's more like flint and steel.

Knowing now more clearly what you are trying to do.... I think you could save yourself a ton of time, money, and material just making a ring that fits over the original tire.

I recall such a thing in the early 2000's for drifting, but don't see it online anymore. The tires had a groove cut out of them and you would fit a plastic ring into that grove that was slightly taller than the rubber tire. This allowed some grip from the rubber tire but mostly the plastic ring touched the ground and allowed the drift tires to slide easily. You could put your infraction tires on a lathe and cut out a small groove then fit a titanium ring over the tire into that groove. Easy sparks without having to re-invent the wheel ;)
That’s a good way for me to test the idea but in the end I do want a solid titanium wheel as I get the experience from making it but also the sick looks as it will be fully cnc machined I’m also going to be delving into 3D printing parts of the wheels as they are 70 pounds to get a whole new set of wheels and I’ve only had my car 6 months and already gone through three sets of tires.
Or maybe make an oversize beadlock ring out of Ti instead of a whole wheel. Titanium is stupid expensive right now, for some reason. Just like any other material at the moment. When you do get going, keep your chip tray clean while you are working or use flood coolant. The base metal won't burn unless it gets blast furnace hot, but the chips will go up like magnesium if a spark lands on them. Easy to prevent. It's not gunpowder, it's more like flint and steel.
I use a fully enclosed machine six axis that’s actually used to make aerospace parts and already works on titanium parts. It is also flooded with coolant the whole time but the rings of titanium to bring down the overall cost could be something worth looking into.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back