Kraton Arrma Kraton 4S

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with you, the only reason that tipped the scale for me to buy them was I payed $350. shipped for mine. MSRP seemed to high to swallow. Out the front door bashers for me as the 6s are really to much with the kids around.

Ahhh so what... take out one kid you have a couple extra just in case ?

I like a variety of RCs and the only thing I don’t like really is a smaller RC as I get older. Like I said though, plastic has its place and I cringe when I hear my metal chassis cars scrape on concrete.

Ahhh so what... take out one kid you have a couple extra just in case ?

I like a variety of RCs and the only thing I don’t like really is a smaller RC as I get older. Like I said though, plastic has its place and I cringe when I hear my metal chassis cars scrape on concrete.
I like variety also, have 12 now. I do love 10 scale, started with that and it's the perfect size for anywhere. Plastic does have it's place as I see the 3s and 4s line as disposable models. Destroy one and it didn't cost a arm and leg, get a new one or move on.

I started a couple of months ago with a Senton Mega but that was way too slow so almost imediately upgraded to a brushless motor, downside is that I love how it behaves on 3S but it also keeps breaking down. So I bought the Kraton 6S.
Next on my wishlist is a Typhon, first I was thinking of the 6S but also because the video's of Rick Duperbash and his praise of the 3S I think that will be my choice, also because if it breaks the parts are not expensive and the prize difference between the Typhon 3S and 6S is € 180 (in the Netherlands) but for the 4S that's different, the price difference between the 4S and 6S models is € 90 so I guess if I would go for an Outcast it probably will be the 6S.

I agree with you, the only reason that tipped the scale for me to buy them was I payed $350. shipped for mine. MSRP seemed to high to swallow. Out the front door bashers for me as the 6s are really to much with the kids around.
Same here. I was happy to wait at $400. I stopped at my local hobby shop and they were selling it for $350 and I got them to throw in some ec5 connectors to make a jumper and adapter to xt90 for the first few runs.
Other than wanting a center diff I’ve been very happy with its performance. If I didn’t already have a 6s outcast I wouldn’t know how much a center diff changes performance.

new wheels!!

Had to get rid of the crappy spectrum radio. Couldn't get but a hundred and fifty feet away before losing signal. It was constantly going out on me. Worse signal strength I have had in a radio in a long time. Installed a futaba 4pl and all my signal issues are now gone

I have to agree with what some others have said here, these 4S cars are for new people... not people who already have all the stuff. I had an RC airplane when I was a teenager and have had a lifelong interest in RC planes since then, as a spectator because it was too expensive to actually do. I decided I'll never be able to afford planes, but cars could be affordable. I live in the country and have a huge open field as my front yard. So, knowing the hobby as a lifelong spectator of airplanes, I spent a couple weeks reading RC Universe about cars and watching YouTube videos. All of that led me to a 4S Kraton. It is obviously more durable that a 3S, or 6S with that easily bendably aluminum chassis. I just want something that will break as rarely as possible, and something that can go over the kind of terrain here like it is nothing. Just driving around this field, I imagine this "high flying" thing is going to be like a tank with the light driving I put it through.

I just ordered one today. I got the backflip tires from the Outcast with it, and the front skid plate/bumper for it that T-Bone makes. I wouldn't want a 6S even if I could afford it... I bet it is a LOT more expensive to operate in terms of things breaking on it. Especially an aluminum chassis that... I would think would be bent out of shape very, very easily. I'm actually really confused by the aluminum chassis... doesn't that make a 6S downright fragile in comparison????

I have to agree with what some others have said here, these 4S cars are for new people... not people who already have all the stuff. I had an RC airplane when I was a teenager and have had a lifelong interest in RC planes since then, as a spectator because it was too expensive to actually do. I decided I'll never be able to afford planes, but cars could be affordable. I live in the country and have a huge open field as my front yard. So, knowing the hobby as a lifelong spectator of airplanes, I spent a couple weeks reading RC Universe about cars and watching YouTube videos. All of that led me to a 4S Kraton. It is obviously more durable that a 3S, or 6S with that easily bendably aluminum chassis. I just want something that will break as rarely as possible, and something that can go over the kind of terrain here like it is nothing. Just driving around this field, I imagine this "high flying" thing is going to be like a tank with the light driving I put it through.

I just ordered one today. I got the backflip tires from the Outcast with it, and the front skid plate/bumper for it that T-Bone makes. I wouldn't want a 6S even if I could afford it... I bet it is a LOT more expensive to operate in terms of things breaking on it. Especially an aluminum chassis that... I would think would be bent out of shape very, very easily. I'm actually really confused by the aluminum chassis... doesn't that make a 6S downright fragile in comparison????

Um... no, the aluminum chassis thing is a great thing if it were 7075 CNC. The 4S platform (I own one) is rapidly becoming a regretful purchase of mine even though I feel my expectations were in check. The build quality for me just isn’t there and IMO, a 6S truck if I were you buying Arrma would have been far wiser. I happen to own both, and I can’t believe that the 4s has plastic diffs and crappy plastic quality throughout. Again, I was really hoping this product would have exceeded my moderate expectations but it hasn’t.

So far I purchased
1. Back flips $60
2. Hot racing aluminum yokes $70
3. New servo $65
4. Typhon 6s shocks $60

So $255.00 + $399.00 = $654 of plastic

Maybe because I am new and I don't understand, but I am just wanting something I can zip around fields and parks and isn't likely to break very often... not fly it around 20 feet in the air like you pros do. I don't get the aluminum... unless it's like RC airplanes where repairing and building is most of the fun too you, so you love taking the car apart to bend the chasis back into shape after every time you use it? I'm REALLY confused by the aluminum chassis... it seems like it would be all bent out of shape after every time you used the car. Plastic doesn't bend.

The point is... for the way I am going to be using it... this car seems like a tank that it will be hard for me to harm. If it had metal parts... it would constantly be bending things out of shape. Composite plastic is far more durable than aluminum... I am SO confused by that.

Maybe because I am new and I don't understand, but I am just wanting something I can zip around fields and parks and isn't likely to break very often... not fly it around 20 feet in the air like you pros do. I don't get the aluminum... unless it's like RC airplanes where repairing and building is most of the fun too you, so you love taking the car apart to bend the chasis back into shape after every time you use it? I'm REALLY confused by the aluminum chassis... it seems like it would be all bent out of shape after every time you used the car. Plastic doesn't bend.

The point is... for the way I am going to be using it... this car seems like a tank that it will be hard for be to harm. If it had metal parts... it would constantly be bending things out of shape. Composite plastic is far more durable than aluminum... I am SO confused by that.
Then save a few bucks and grab a 3S. At least you can buy parts.

Then save a few bucks and grab a 3S. At least you can buy parts.

But it's smaller, with a narrower wheel base, smaller shocks, no support bar... on and on... the 4S one is obviously SO much better! Just the wheal width alone makes a 4S MUCH better. I'm really confused by some of the opinions in this thread. A 4S is bigger and wider, right? That's a HUGE deal, right? The shock size... all of it. I'm very confused...

But it's smaller, with a narrower wheel base, smaller shocks, no support bar... on and on... the 4S one is obviously SO much better! Just the wheal width alone makes a 4S MUCH better. I'm really confused by some of the opinions in this thread. A 4S is bigger and wider, right? That's a HUGE deal, right? The shock size... all of it. I'm very confused...

The Senton, Typhon, and BRCC have the same chassis as the Kraton 4S. The Granite has the same chassis as the Outcast 4S.

You are correct about the width tho. If that is important to you, then the 4S have longer arms, which are the weak links and are not available for purchase.

So the very feature you desire is the very reason not to want one. ??‍♂️

Well, obviously as wide and low to the ground is what you are looking for, at least for what I want. I don't want it's durability to do 20ft jumps, I just want something that can go over any terrain, like the fields here, and be very durable doing it. Those other cars you are talking about don't have big enough tires for the terrain here, other than an Outcast which is more of a stunt truck that will flip around and be more likely to break than a more stable Kraton. I am looking for a "tank" for a first timer, not a "high flying basher". I'm very much NOT going "bash" it at all. I am aware that they are new and parts will be an issue for the first year or so, so I will be extra careful about trying not to break the arms... but it's an open field here... there's nothing to run into. So I should be Ok.

Like I said... I think these cars are aimed at new RC people like me. You guys can turn a 3S into its equal easily, I just want it for what it is out of the box and a its a lot better than a 3S out of the box. I am also not wanting to use it the way you old timers do, I was drawn too it because it seems to be a "tank" for the way I will use it, and can go over rough terrain, and wide wheel base so I don't flip it in turns was very high on my list. Like I said... I am 50 and have followed RC planes my whole life as a spectator... so I know the hobby well, just not cars. After two weeks... a Kraton 4S is what I arrived at. So Arrma must be doing something right in attracting new RC car users with it. Right?

Well, obviously as wide and low to the ground is what you are looking for, at least for what I want. I don't want it's durability to do 20ft jumps, I just want something that can go over any terrain, like the fields here, and be very durable doing it. Those other cars you are talking about don't have big enough tires for the terrain here, other than an Outcast which is more of a stunt truck that will flip around and be more likely to break than a more stable Kraton. I am looking for a "tank" for a first timer, not a "high flying basher". I'm very much NOT going "bash" it at all. I am aware that they are new and parts will be an issue for the first year or so, so I will be extra careful about trying not to break the arms... but it's an open field here... there's nothing to run into. So I should be Ok.

Like I said... I think these cars are aimed at new RC people like me. You guys can turn a 3S into its equal easily, I just want it for what it is out of the box and a its a lot better than a 3S out of the box. I am also not wanting to use it the way you old timers do, I was drawn too it because it seems to be a "tank" for the way I will use it, and can go over rough terrain, and wide wheel base so I don't flip it in turns was very high on my list. Like I said... I am 50 and have followed RC planes my whole life as a spectator... so I know the hobby well, just not cars. After two weeks... a Kraton 4S is what I arrived at. So Arrma must be doing something right in attracting new RC car users with it. Right?

But the Kraton 4S isn’t a tank. It’s been proven to be a china doll. The 3S line has similar issues, but at least there are parts available. Why come and ask for advice if you’re not willing to take it. If you want a Kraton 4S that bad, nobody here wants to stop you. You asked for advice, we have given it.

I wasn't asking for advice, it's too late because I ordered it earlier today. I had asked people a lot of questions for the last two weeks. This is the first I've heard of Arrma cars being weak, it was all the opposite of that until now. I read this thread and just thought I'd mention that as a new person I wound up picking this, and why, since that was a big area of discussion here.

I'm sure to a pro like you these mid-range cars are nothing special. I get that. I've always loved RC stuff but never been able to afford to do it. My image of RC was from the 1980s... when I say "tank"... I mean compared to what I thought an RC car was... 1980's... until about a month ago when I started looking at 2020 ones. And too me... these all composite plastic Arrma cars are something I can finally afford to have. For how I will drive it... I even got the TBone bumper/front skid for it just to protect it from smaller rocks out there... This is something that is going to hold up well enough for me to be able to afford to have it.

I'm sure from your perspective it's nothing special, too me these modern composite plastic cars are "tanks". And this seemed like the best one too me.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back