Kraton Arrma Kraton 6s decision - recommendations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharlieTuna

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Typhon 3s
Hey yall -
I'm very interested in the Kraton 6s. What do you think is better to buy? The EXB or the RTR?
Thanks

I thought I just saw the EXB on sale somewhere for like $416. If you don’t mind putting in your own electronics, go with the EXB, if you don’t want the hassle just get the RTR and upgrade it as needed.

I thought I just saw the EXB on sale somewhere for like $416. If you don’t mind putting in your own electronics, go with the EXB, if you don’t want the hassle just get the RTR and upgrade it as needed.
I don't mind building. Like it. So I guess I wouldn't have to upgrade as much if I got the EXB?

I bought an RTR and slowly upgraded it to beyond EXB standards. If I had known I was going to replace the ESC and motor within two months of buying the RTR, I would have bought the EXB to start with. Going the EXB route to start with would have been a lot cheaper for me in the long run.

I don't mind building. Like it. So I guess I wouldn't have to upgrade as much if I got the EXB?
The EXB chassis comes with better shock towers; an improved chassis plate; aluminum chassis braces vice composite in the RTR; LSD diffs; and more. You might not need to upgrade as much as you would on a RTR, but you still might want to upgrade some things as you drive it more.

If you go with an EXB, don't skimp on the servo, ESC, or motor. Get quality parts to start with: I personally wouldn't install Spektrum electronics, but that's just my opinion. I have a Castle MMX 8s ESC and a Castle 1717 1650kv motor mounted on a PPS motor mount in my upgraded RTR, and it's a beast.

Last edited:
I bought an RTR and slowly upgraded it to beyond EXB standards. If I had known I was going to replace the ESC and motor within two months of buying the RTR, I would have bought the EXB to start with. Going the EXB route to start with would have been a lot cheaper for me in the long run.
Yeah, that's what I wanted to know, thanks. Cost in the long run with better parts.
Ok....thanks everybody. I'm ordering the EXB and go from there. This should be a fun machine!
The EXB chassis comes with better shock towers; an improved chassis plate; aluminum chassis braces vice composite in the RTR; LSD diffs; and more. You might not need to upgrade as much as you would on a RTR, but you still might want to upgrade some things as you drive it more.

If you go with an EXB, don't skimp on the servo, ESC, or motor. Get quality parts to start with: I personally wouldn't install Spektrum electronics, but that's just my opinion. I have a Castle MMX 8s ESC and a Castle 1717 1650kv motor mounted on a PPS motor mount in my upgraded RTR, and it's a beast.
Yeah....I have been using Reefs servos, Hobbywing, Castle. Not a big fan of Spektrum either.

Last edited:

Why the PPS mount with the 1717? Is it sturdier?

Why the PPS mount with the 1717? Is it sturdier?
It's definitely sturdier, but I bought it primarily for the micro-adjustable gear mesh system. It's a lot easier to get a perfect mesh between the pinion and spur, which saves wear and tear on the gears as well as being quieter. The PPS mount also comes with an aluminum center diff support, top plate, and aluminum roll cage mount if you buy it that way.

PPS motor mount in Kraton.jpg

Note wear on spur gear was there before I put the PPS mount in.

If you’re going to run the car now and then on the weekends and have fun with it in parks, at family gatherings, and money is tight then rtr. I ran my rtr for 6months without doing anything to it but blow it of with the air compressor. Had zero issues...still have that car, it’s a v3. The v5 rtr is quite fun and will blow people’s minds that never, or haven’t seen an rc car in a while.
If you think this hobby is going to take hold, and you have extra cash for it then exb. By the time you get a radio, servo, and power system your going to have a grand in it to start. Maybe less if you go with cheaper stuff but then you might as well go rtr and sell off what you change out over time.
For durability, read this forum guys have plenty of trouble with the exb. I do not like the way the (Mojave and Kraton exb) compared to an rtr with the center diff stiffened up with thicker fluid. Both the rtr and exb suspension is sprung for the rtr weight and about a 5000mah 6s lipo. Keep what ever you buy close to stock weight or it will handle poorly.
If I were starting all over for my first car I’d just get the rtr and aluminum chassis braces, and go from there. Maybe the m2c wing/bulkhead support to protect the rear end (exb should have this as well). Stock electrics are fine and if they go you have a very good warranty (another plus for rtr).
Also need to save some money for a stout charger, safe charging/storage, batteries and tools...

Last edited:
It's definitely sturdier, but I bought it primarily for the micro-adjustable gear mesh system. It's a lot easier to get a perfect mesh between the pinion and spur, which saves wear and tear on the gears as well as being quieter. The PPS mount also comes with an aluminum center diff support, top plate, and aluminum roll cage mount if you buy it that way.

View attachment 261418

That PPS motor mount looks very nice. :love: Got my eye on it for a future upgrade. Like the idea of micro mesh adjustment too.

View attachment 261418

Can you post a picture of your fan mount?
3F08E234-CDCF-4E60-A4BA-BAFD3B14B574.jpeg
668368C1-B123-4ECB-AE40-97D9A1F9D78D.jpeg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back