Kraton ARRMA Kraton EXB Build. Brand new tear down, rebuild and upgrade. LED install, Aluminum upgrades, and more!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Custnam

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 4s
Well I finally got my Kraton EXB the other day and started my build. My plan has always been a complete tear down to check everything, then rebuild it with all the upgrades I already have. Here is the full parts and upgrades list:
  • Flysky Radio and receiver
  • DS3225 35kg Servo
  • Hot Racing Diff cases (AON11E02) haven't used, sticking with EXB cases for now
  • Hot Racing Aluminum fixed steering link (AON48SH25)
  • Hot Racing Aluminum Center Differential Cover (ANN38C01)
  • Hot Racing Aluminum Center Differential EZM Mount (ANN38A02)
  • Batteries: Hoovo 6S 60C with IC5 connectors X 3
  • Chassis Protector (Black and green Monster logo)
  • Dual Hobbystar motor fans with red aluminum heat sink
  • Diff fluids (Currently stock, but will probably use 60k F, 200 or 500k C, and 30k R)
  • T-Bone Typhon front bumper used in rear (TBR 10006) with RPM skid plate (RPM81442)
  • Arrma 6s Wheelie bar set (AR320366)
  • Dusty Motors shock covers
  • GPM Red Aluminum suspension mounts (Didnt need to use all of these since the EXB comes with several preinstalled aluminum mounts)
  • Arrma 15T D5 Mod 1 Pinion (ARA310962) Also have D5 14T, D5 15T, and stock D5 12T.
  • Tekno Shock Ends and balls (TKR6140C and TKR5049A)
  • LED's: Front 10mm Halo and rear 3mm Red Leds
  • Body: Reinforced with drywall tape and Shoe Goo

Day 1:

Technically I started the build before I had the new EXB because I had ordered a body and some other parts from Jennys that came before the new EXB did. So on Day 1 I started with reinforcing the body I had ordered with wall tape and Shoe Goo. The next day when I got the truck I did the second body. So these first pics are just both bodies reinforced with tape and glue. Both came out pretty good and are a lot stronger now.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

Day 2:

To start Day 2 I did a much more thorough inspection of the truck and started the complete tear down. One of the first things I noticed was the diffs were pretty low. So I topped them off with the stock weight fluids. (10K F, 100K C, and 10K R). Im sure I will change these weights but just wanted to try it out first. I also found out that with the new style diffs you cant fill them as much. When I filled them like the manual shows (which is just like the old style) the fluids overflowed into the screw holes. So I took them back apart and took a bit of the fluids out. Im guessing this is due to the LSD plates taking up more room.

The only other issue with the stock build I ran into was a nut missing from the rear hub where the tie rod installs. Then of course dealing with screws that had too much thread lock. Using a soldering iron I was able to get them all off. The only one I had an issue with was one of the steering posts. But with a lot of heat and some pliers I finally broke the thread lock. Once I had the chassis completely bare I started with the Monster logo chassis protector. That installed very cleanly and easily and came out great. So my beautiful EXB chassis engraving is safe (for now). I also got the GPM red aluminum suspension mounts installed so the front and rear A-Arms and diff assemblies are ready to install. I didnt replace all of the suspension mount parts on this because the EXB already comes with some of the aluminum parts pre-installed.

4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg

Day 3:

For Day 3 I started with checking the shocks and installing the Tekno balls and ends. The shocks were already perfect as far as the fluids were so I just installed the Tekno parts and they shocks are almost ready to install. Just need to install the Dusty Motor shock covers. Next was starting to put it all back together. I got the front and rear A-arms and diffs installed. The motor mounts, center diff mounts, then installed the new D5 15T pinion onto the Spektrum motor. So the motor with the dual fan set up is ready to install. I then installed the front EXB bumper and the rear T-Bone bumper with the RPM chassis skid. Next was installing the RPM wing mounts with the 6s wheelie bar. I finished off the chassis parts for the day with installing the center diff. So all 3 diffs are done and installed.

10.jpg
11.jpg
13.jpg
14.jpg
15.jpg
16.jpg

17.jpg
18.jpg
20.jpg
21.jpg

Day 4:

For day 4 I wanted to get the LED install started. I had plans of doing the same LED install I did on the Notorious. So I started by making the power lead I will be running from the receiver to the body. I have JST connectors on the lead and the body which I use to power the LEDs. I just connect the lead when installing the body. The front LED's are also a Halo type with a switch built in that can swap modes between Halo only, or Halo and the center brighter light. So I wired all of this up and installed the fronts directly with hot glue, then the rear red lights with grommets to hold them in and provide some shock absorption. The LED install came out great and is basically done. I just need to hot glue the rest of the wires into place as well as the Halo switch to the inside of the roof.

22.jpg
23.jpg
24.jpg
25.jpg
26.jpg
27.jpg
28.jpg
29.jpg
30.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice build thread. What servo did you end up with?
After a suggestion from @jondilly1974 I went with the DS3235. I normally go with the 25KG but decided to try out the 35 this time. It just arrived yesterday. Will be installing in the next couple days.

After a suggestion from @jondilly1974 I went with the DS3235. I normally go with the 25KG but decided to try out the 35 this time. It just arrived yesterday. Will be installing in the next couple days.

I just picked up a couple of these, really cheap and great for a basher, plenty of power.

Did you have to upgrade the servo horn? It appears my V5 typhon has a 23t spline so I think I just need that to run better servos.
Im going to be using the Hot Racing steering link thats 25T. But the stock EXB one is also 25T so it fits too. The V5 one is 23T since it uses the Spektrum V5 servo.

Day 5:

For day 5 I started out with finishing up the hot glue job of the LED's. I got them all glued and the Halo switch glued to the roof. I then tested them and for some reason the switch stopped working. I could only get the Halo part of the dual lights to work. So I had to melt the glue around the switch to check it and it the contacts werent making contact correctly. So I solved this by just cutting the switch out completely and wired the wires together. Now all the lights are controlled by plugging or unplugging the main lead with the JST connector.

I then moved onto to the new DS3235 servo. I mounted it onto to the EXB servo mount and tested it vs the DS3225. I didnt seem any faster, and I have no real way of testing the torque, but one thing I can say is that the 35KG is way quieter than the 25KG. Its travel is smoother as well. I also installed the Hot Racing steering link. So trying the DS3235 turned out to be a good idea from @jondilly1974 . I then did a bit of heat shrinking on the ESC. I then had all my electronics ready to install.

So I installed the ESC to the plate, then got the servo and ESC wires ran under the plate and secured, then installed the plate and the servo mount. Everything lined up perfectly and even the servo linkage lined up with the steering link perfectly. No need for any spacers. So ARRMA did well with the new EXB servo mount. I usually use my Hot Racing one, but prefer the EXB one because of how well everything lines up. Installed the battery tray/ receiver box then I ran all the wires (including the LED power lead) into the receiver. Made sure the servo was centered then closed up the receiver box. Next was installing the motor with the dual fans. One issue I did run into which has happened before was that the motor heat sink gets in the way of the body/cotter pin that holds the roll cage pin in place. So what I did was cut the body/ cotter pin down a bit so the ends of it wont rub against the motor heat sink. I also rotated the heat sink a bit so the pin would be able to be put in all the way without rubbing. This is harder to write then show so you can see in pics 44 and 45 what I am referring too. I got everything installed and heat shrinked the motor leads and connected the motor fan power to the splitter from the ESC fan. Then heat shrinked all that also and zip tied it out of the way so it wouldnt interfere with the pinion. Then zip tied the battery lead and the LED power lead to the tower to tower brace, then figured out how I would be running the battery. This concluded all of the electronics installation.

Next was the shocks. All I needed to do with these was install the already cut dusty motors shock covers I had which was a piece of cake. I then installed the shocks, tires, and rear wing. Thats pretty much it for this build. I am still going to install some of the 4s body post protectors and/ or the skids I got from @Camaroboy383 to protect the body even more. Then Ill be venting and sealing the tires and installing some forum decals I have on the way from @WoodiE. But for now its pretty much done and it came out great. The only thing I am pretty sure Ill be experimenting with is the diff fluid weights. I have it fully stock right now. But I usually end up running 60K F, 200 or 500K C, and 30K R. But it depends on how it runs. Anyway I think thats it for now. I will update this with some more pics of the body protection and decals once thats done. Thanks for reading!!

31.jpg
32.jpg
33.jpg
34.jpg
35.jpg
36.jpg
37.jpg
38.jpg
39.jpg
40.jpg
41.jpg
42.jpg
43.jpg
44.jpg
45.jpg

46.jpg
47.jpg

Day 6: Update

Well I thought the build thread was done but I did a bit more today and thought I would update it. I installed several decals, and installed the Kraton 4s body post protectors as well as the skids I won from @Camaroboy383. I installed the 4s protectors on the front, and the skids on the roof and along the rear. They were very easy to install and are flexible so you can bend them around curves also.

So the body has several added protections. The drywall tape, shoe goo, skids and the 4s protectors should keep it looking good for awhile. I do have another EXB body as well that I will be installing the same protection as well as the Halo LEDs. But this time they will be red Halos. Other than that I think its done, although I thought that before. Anyway heres some pics showing the skids and the protectors.

48.jpg
49.jpg
50.jpg
51.jpg
52.jpg
53.jpg
54.jpg
55.jpg

I installed new LEDs and body protection onto a new body and just wanted to add a few more pics. Also running a 16t pinion, diffs are 30k front, 200k center, and 10k rear using minimal effect lsd configuration. Runs FAST and handles even better!

20210113_023923.jpg

20210113_024000.jpg
20210113_023939.jpg
20210113_024224.jpg

Sick build.

Looks like you put a lot of time into this project!

@Custnam, build is exceptional. Love the led's. I haven't bit the bullet on trying an led install yet, but definitely gonna give it a try soon. Question about the power plant. Looks to be stock 6s 2050kv. I ripped mine around on the same size, older BLX one for a few months and it was a blast. Since then, I've tried a 1730kv on 20t and 27t pinion with a 160A esc, and more recently, a 1250kv with a 29t pinion on a Castle MMX 8s esc, both still using 6s batteries. Talk about waking up the beast! The difs can handle the extra power without issue, especially the newer version open rear. It's got so much more torque but is still blazingly fast for such a big truck. I never set out to go bigger than a stock 6s, but after giving it a go with a good quality used set up I bought, I realized there's so much room for improvement on this platform. Keep up the great work. Looking forward to hearing about your first runs.

@Custnam, build is exceptional. Love the led's. I haven't bit the bullet on trying an led install yet, but definitely gonna give it a try soon. Question about the power plant. Looks to be stock 6s 2050kv. I ripped mine around on the same size, older BLX one for a few months and it was a blast. Since then, I've tried a 1730kv on 20t and 27t pinion with a 160A esc, and more recently, a 1250kv with a 29t pinion on a Castle MMX 8s esc, both still using 6s batteries. Talk about waking up the beast! The difs can handle the extra power without issue, especially the newer version open rear. It's got so much more torque but is still blazingly fast for such a big truck. I never set out to go bigger than a stock 6s, but after giving it a go with a good quality used set up I bought, I realized there's so much room for improvement on this platform. Keep up the great work. Looking forward to hearing about your first runs.
Yeah the MMX8S/ 1250kv / 29T is ridiculous power on 6S. Love that setup in mine as well. The instant brutal torque is insane. Tires will be abused so vent and balance them well.

Yeah the MMX8S/ 1250kv / 29T is ridiculous power on 6S. Love that setup in mine as well. The instant brutal torque is insane. Tires will be abused so vent and balance them well.
Too late. Demolished a Backflip Lp on the weekend. Sounded like a boomerang when flying through the air🤣

Too late. Demolished a Backflip Lp on the weekend. Sounded like a boomerang when flying through the air🤣
Yeah the stock EXB tires growl during backflips in the air. Ask @Lovestricken about the strange noise they make at Sunday Funday. It is a violent noise.

Yeah the stock EXB tires growl during backflips in the air. Ask @Lovestricken about the strange noise they make at Sunday Funday. It is a violent noise.
That definitely isn't a growl noise. More accurately is a pissed off chainsaw buzzing by your head.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back