Kraton arrma kraton servo upgrade?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I test drove the Typhon this evening without the spm-1600 with the WP-120T. I did some speed runs around corners, locked up the brakes and turned the wheels all the way over, went down the road turning back and forth and the servo did great. No glitching or brown outs as far as I could tell. Ill continue to run it without the SPM to see if it glitches at all at the track.

I test drove the Typhon this evening without the spm-1600 with the WP-120T. I did some speed runs around corners, locked up the brakes and turned the wheels all the way over, went down the road turning back and forth and the servo did great. No glitching or brown outs as far as I could tell. Ill continue to run it without the SPM to see if it glitches at all at the track.
Great info Dale.

RCROD. All three of us had the 3 RC's out yesterday for a full day bash session at the track. The WP-120T did well all day without the SPM in place. No noticeable issues that I could tell. I will probably re-install it as I do have it and it fits inside the receiver case, but I would say that Its not needed to run the servo.

RCROD. All three of us had the 3 RC's out yesterday for a full day bash session at the track. The WP-120T did well all day without the SPM in place. No noticeable issues that I could tell. I will probably re-install it as I do have it and it fits inside the receiver case, but I would say that Its not needed to run the servo.

Again, great info Dale & very interesting test you did, as some forum members have recommended you must have use an external BEC, etc, if upgrading to a better servo. It seems like you only need an external BEC, or servo Lipo battery, or glitch buster (is it 3 options you can use), if you have a HV servo, or a really "high torque" servo (400oz/in. or more). It sounds like the stock Arrma BEC has enough power to handle both my Hitec 7955TG & Turnigy TGY-WP23 servos.

Since I was the one who attached the link to the new WP-120T at A Main Hobbies, I'm happy to hear it is working well so far for you, unless you already saw this servo earlier, then I have nothing to worry about if it failed miserably...LOL

Hahaahaa.. not only did the 120T do great without the SPM. The Kraton and Senton that are using the SPM-1600 and 170sbl combo did really, really well also. Those little tactic receivers do very good at handling current it seems. We ran all three trucks HARD back to back to back all day without a steering servo issue.

Glad to help out!

Well. The wp120T bit the dust today. I don't think I could continue to recommend this servo as this was its third time at the track. Ill be going back to the stock servo until I get another 170sbl like I have in the other vehicles. Granted, our track sessions are all day sessions, but still. The factory lasted longer.

I jumped the gun, it just came unplugged out of the receiver. Ive never had that happen before, so im hot gluing all the leads together.

Man $100 Servos!!! That’s 1/5 the cost of the vehicle! I purchased my Kraton over the weekend and was looking into another servo. But $100, that def is not happening.

I jumped the gun, it just came unplugged out of the receiver. Ive never had that happen before, so im hot gluing all the leads together.

Liquid electrical tape works great for that and will peel off in one piece. Overlap it onto the side of the receiver too. I’ve never had to do it for a surface vehicle but I do it on all my helis.

Man $100 Servos!!! That’s 1/5 the cost of the vehicle! I purchased my Kraton over the weekend and was looking into another servo. But $100, that def is not happening.

No worries, there are plenty of decent servos that cost less. Look through the earlier portions of this thread, and others like it. Someone had a $25 servo with similar specs as these $100 versions.

Dale, good to hear your WP120T servo is still working. I've never had a servo wire come out of the receiver either. I wonder if you did not have it fully plugged in (pushed in all the way), or maybe the servo lead (plug end) was not manufactured properly (not a tight enough fit)?

doucefour. I've had my Kraton out a few times now with the Turnigy (TGY-WP23) servo (320oz torque & .12secs @6v). The speed and power seems to be quite good, especially for a $40 "waterproof" servo. So far no problems to report, and I definitely have noticed a big upgrade from the stock servo.

SERVO TIP:
FYG, I am "NOT" using a separate BEC, or a separate servo Lipo battery, or glitch buster, and the Turnigy waterproof servo worked flawlessly, with no power glitches and I did not experience any problems with either speed or power.

SERVO MOUNT TIP:
I have also removed the stock rubber servo grommets and now I'm using solid servo mounts/spacers. I already knew the V3 Talion servo does not move when you do this (gathered this was due to the rotated servo mount), but was pleasantly surprised the Kraton servo also does "not" move when using solid servo spacers mounts. I am sure some members are maybe skeptical of my comments on this, but these Arrma servos move and twist due to the rubber grommets (it is just less noticeable on the V3 Talion due to the rotated servo mount). I am still doing more testing, but from what I can see, you do not need an aftermarket servo mount for the V3 Talion or Kraton.

Last edited:
Dale, good to hear your WP120T servo is still working. I've never had a servo wire come out of the receiver either. I wonder if you did not have it fully plugged in (pushed in all the way), or maybe the servo lead (plug end) was not manufactured properly (not a tight enough fit)?

doucefour. I've had my Kraton out a few times now with the Turnigy (TGY-WP23) servo (320oz torque & .12secs @6v). The speed and power seems to be quite good, especially for a $40 "waterproof" servo. So far no problems to report, and I definitely have noticed a big upgrade from stock.

IMPORTANT TIP:
I have also removed the stock rubber servo grommets and now I'm using solid servo mounts/spacers. I already knew the V3 Talion servo does not move when you do this (gathered this was due to the rotated servo mount), but was pleasantly surprised the Kraton servo also does "not" move when using solid servo spacers mounts. I am sure some members are maybe skeptical of my comments on this, but these Arrma servos move and twist due to the rubber grommets (it is just less noticeable on the V3 Talion due to the rotated servo mount). I am still doing more testing, but from what I can see, you do not need an aftermarket servo mount for the V3 Talion or Kraton.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back