Kraton arrma kraton servo upgrade?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought this one and it really fits the Kraton, it's affordable and a huge upgrade over the stock one.
Great pro is that it's a 6v servo so it matches perfect with the BLX185, no need for an external BEC. I did add a capacitator.

https://www.banggood.com/nl/Power-H...k-RC-Car-Part-p-1083555.html?cur_warehouse=CN

Description:
Brand: Power HD
Item: Waterproof Servo
Item NO.: DW-25LV
Torque(4.8V): 21.0 kg-cm (291.6 oz/in)
Torque(6.0V): 25.0 kg-cm (347.2 oz/in)
Speed: 0.13 sec (4.8V) │ 0.11 sec (6.0V)
Operating Voltage: 4.8 ~ 6.0 DC Volts
Weight: 80.0 g (2.8 oz)
Bearing Type: Ball Bearing x 2
Motor Type: Coreless Motor
Gear Type: Titanium & Steel
Operating Temperature: -20℃~60℃
Working frequence: 1520μs / 333hz
Size: 40.0 x 20.0 x 38.8 mm ( 1.57 x 0.79 x 1.53 in)

Hi there, im thinking about buying this servo or savox 1210SG, not sure if I understand power HD is 6.0v and savox 7.4v, is the power hd compatible with the stock ESC v2 of Kraton?
Ty

Hi there, im thinking about buying this servo or savox 1210SG, not sure if I understand power HD is 6.0v and savox 7.4v, is the power hd compatible with the stock ESC v2 of Kraton?
Ty

The 1210 is the way to go. I'm just waiting for my current servo to crap out so I can buy one of those. Haha

Ok please help. My stock servo failed so I purchased the 1210sg. I installed it and now the throttle is backwards. I have to put the throttle switch to reverse on the remote to get it to work. I have checked all connections and they are in the right ports. More importantly is this darn thing takes 30-40 foot diameter to make a left turn. When the wheels are off the ground it turns perfect, put it under power and it won't turn well at all. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.

Check your servo saver. They tend to loosen up. My Outcast needed a 30' circle to turn around and it was my servo saver being loose. As far as the backwards throttle, you have me stumped.

I think my switch is in revers position on my controller and I run the same servo. Check your servo saver as the man above said. Set it on the carpet and see if the cams in the saver separate when you turn the wheels. My guess is that they do, which means the servo is turning all the way. The servo saver is only allowing it to turn a little under pressure. tighten it up and you should be good.

Last edited:
Fixed my 2 blown backflips from yesterday and took it out to test this evening....
and lost all steering from the stock servo. Nothing but grinding noises now.

Guess I'll be buying a 1210 tonight :)

I think my switch is in revers position on my controller and I run the same servo. Check your servo saver as the man above said. Set it on the carpet and see if the cams in the saver separate when you turn the wheels. My guess is that they do, which means the servo is turning all the way. The servo saver is only allowing it to turn a little under pressure. tighten it up and you should be good.
That was it. Thanks

Yup, ordered the wp120T for the Typhon, and a 170sbl protek for the Kraton project. Pretty excited to see how each works out. Its been raining here everyday, hopefully the track near by will dry out.

Yup, ordered the wp120T for the Typhon, and a 170sbl protek for the Kraton project. Pretty excited to see how each works out. Its been raining here everyday, hopefully the track near by will dry out.
Dale, curious why you went with a waterproof servo on your Typhon, and not your Kraton? I was checking out the Protek servos earlier, and the the 170SBL also caught my eye, as numbers look good, as it is very fast with 0.09 transit speed, & 458 oz-in of torque @ 6V. I was also looking at the 370TBL, which is fully WATERPROOF and has amazing torque at 600 oz-in @ 6V, but a bit slower with .135 transit speed.

Other notable Protek servos, is the 170T Chad Bradley Edition which is on sale, but speed could maybe be a bit quicker with 0.14 transit speed, and 510 oz-in of torque @ 6V. Protek also has a clearance sale on the 150S, which is super fast with 0.08 transit speed @ 6V, but torque could be more with only 281 oz-in. Also the 150T is on clearance with good speed & torque; 0.10 transit speed, and 345 oz-in of torque @ 6.0V.

Are you running an external BEC to use your new Protek 170SBL servo in your Kraton?

I already had a Hitec 7955TG sitting around that I'm using in my V3 Talion. I was looking at some higher end servos for my Kraton, but did not want to really run an external BEC or extra servo battery. I ended up just getting the Turnigy TGY-WP23 Digital, coreless & WATERPROOF servo (.12 transit speed, 320oz.in torque @6V). The numbers are not great, but they are ok, and for a waterproof servo, $40 was a good price. It should still be a big improvement from the stock Arrma servo which has only 195oz.in torque @ 6V and is quite slow at .16 transit speed.

Last edited:
Great point and great question.

I don't like running my RC toys through the mud and water, so I put my rc hobby away when its rainy and or wet out. So the water proofing on the ECO power is a bonus to its already good looking numbers as for as speeds and torque and price goes.

So even though I don't expose my toys to the weather, I do like to wash my cars after a day at the track though, so that brings me to the 170sbl, it has a detachable servo lead, so I can easily take it out before washing. I don't know about you guys, but I really, really, really despise working on dirty cars!

Non of the Chad Bradley's have removable leads, if they had, I would have probably tried the 150T, but food for thought, some of the reviews for them spoke of a few of them not lasting long and some broken gears. Yeah, the 170sbl is a bit expensive, but I do like the numbers and detachable servo lead for easy removal for washing, and so far, in the Senton, a rock solid gear set.

The 370TBL you mentioned is a bit slow, and it specifically says in the description that some tactic receivers do not work well with it, so that was out for me.

A break down of all the servos, all at 6v because most of us here are still running the stock ESC. I do run the spektrum capacitor in case of brown outs and it all fits inside the newer V3 receiver box!

I put a chart together for everyone else following along. All 6v ratings....

170sbl .09 @ 458oz $159 Lotta speed, lotta torque and a removable servo lead so it can easily be removed for washing.
WP120T .11 @ 337oz $ 69 good speed, good torque, water proof, If these prove themselves, they are a lot of bang for the $$
150T .10 @ 335 $109 on sale, Good speed, good torque, Not waterproof
150S .08 @281 $119 on sale, Great speed, okay torque, Not water proof
170T .14 @ 510 $119 on sale, okay speed, but that torque!!! Not water proof
Savox 1210sg .15 @ 277 $89 okay speed, and okay torque, water proof
Savox 1270tg .14 @361 $83 okay speed but good torque, water "resistant"
Hitech 7955tg .15@333 $99 okay speed and good torque, cant find info on water proof or not
TGY-WP23 .12 @320 $40 good speed and good torque, water proof
Arrma .16 @195 $44 to $20 on ebay. good replacement servo when funds are low.

I threw the more popular savox servos in for comparison. If the 150t had a detachable lead for easy removal, I would have gotten that instead of the 170sbl. And who knows, I may get one just to try to see how long it lasts, but again, I don't like some of the reviews. I guess that's part of what makes the hobby fun, is trying out new stuff, what works and what don't and trying out different stuff...

Great point and great question.

I don't like running my RC toys through the mud and water, so I put my rc hobby away when its rainy and or wet out. So the water proofing on the ECO power is a bonus to its already good looking numbers as for as speeds and torque and price goes.

So even though I don't expose my toys to the weather, I do like to wash my cars after a day at the track though, so that brings me to the 170sbl, it has a detachable servo lead, so I can easily take it out before washing. I don't know about you guys, but I really, really, really despise working on dirty cars!

Non of the Chad Bradley's have removable leads, if they had, I would have probably tried the 150T, but food for thought, some of the reviews for them spoke of a few of them not lasting long and some broken gears. Yeah, the 170sbl is a bit expensive, but I do like the numbers and detachable servo lead for easy removal for washing, and so far, in the Senton, a rock solid gear set.

The 370TBL you mentioned is a bit slow, and it specifically says in the description that some tactic receivers do not work well with it, so that was out for me.

A break down of all the servos, all at 6v because most of us here are still running the stock ESC. I do run the spektrum capacitor in case of brown outs and it all fits inside the newer V3 receiver box!

I put a chart together for everyone else following along. All 6v ratings....

170sbl .09 @ 458oz $159 Lotta speed, lotta torque and a removable servo lead so it can easily be removed for washing.
WP120T .11 @ 337oz $ 69 good speed, good torque, water proof, If these prove themselves, they are a lot of bang for the $$
150T .10 @ 335 $109 on sale, Good speed, good torque, Not waterproof
150S .08 @281 $119 on sale, Great speed, okay torque, Not water proof
170T .14 @ 510 $119 on sale, okay speed, but that torque!!! Not water proof
Savox 1210sg .15 @ 277 $89 okay speed, and okay torque, water proof
Savox 1270tg .14 @361 $83 okay speed but good torque, water "resistant"
Hitech 7955tg .15@333 $99 okay speed and good torque, cant find info on water proof or not
TGY-WP23 .12 @320 $40 good speed and good torque, water proof
Arrma .16 @195 $44 to $20 on ebay. good replacement servo when funds are low.

I threw the more popular savox servos in for comparison. If the 150t had a detachable lead for easy removal, I would have gotten that instead of the 170sbl. And who knows, I may get one just to try to see how long it lasts, but again, I don't like some of the reviews. I guess that's part of what makes the hobby fun, is trying out new stuff, what works and what don't and trying out different stuff...
Great reply Dale. No, the Hitec 7055TG is "not' waterproof. I've had it a long time and this servo used to be the measuring stick for other servos. I usually try to avoid most of the mud and water for the simple fact that I also hate working on a really dirty RC, and don't want to do a major clean-up everytime. I got the Turnigy waterproof servo just for extra protection, as sometimes some water & mud are unavoidable with a larger pinion at 6S speeds, and this also gives me the option to take the Kraton out in the snow, as we usually get some in the winter.

Anyways, the 6V speed is sure good for how much torque the 170SBL has (not many servos have such high speed & high torque at the same time, especially on 6V), and with the detachable lead, unfortunately, we may not see the 170SBL on sale for a while. Take the 170SBL servo and make it waterproof, and it would definitely be difficult to find a better do-it-all servo.

Are you running the Spektrum Voltage Protector (SPM1600) on just your 170SBL servo and not your new Eco Power servo? Have you used it yet and does it offer enough power to run your 170SBL sufficiently?

I'm currently running the spm1600 on the 170sbl. Its holding up so far for the short time I have had it. In a few months I will be able to better tell you any kind of longevity issues. I plan on using the spm1600 on the eco power and the new 170sbl as well. It will probably be a standard piece of kit in each car from now on. I haven't had problems with out it, but for 6 dollars why not?

I thought this was interesting on the WP120T. They have the signal cable coming out of the case flush with a pretty good looking gommet providing a seal. Thought Id show ya'll. The factory servo horn went right on the WP120T to the point where I thought It would not work because it was so loose. Once the servo horn screw was tightened down it was all good. On the 170sbl, the factory horn needed to be pushed onto the output shaft of the servo. Its a very tight fit.

Second pick is the SPM 1600 inside the V3 receiver case. The 170sbl yanks the tires around on the kraton with authority!

Attachments

• WP120T.jpg
    WP120T.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 84
  • SPM1600.jpg
    SPM1600.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 79
I thought this was interesting on the WP120T. They have the signal cable coming out of the case flush with a pretty good looking gommet providing a seal. Thought Id show ya'll. The factory servo horn went right on the WP120T to the point where I thought It would not work because it was so loose. Once the servo horn screw was tightened down it was all good. On the 170sbl, the factory horn needed to be pushed onto the output shaft of the servo. Its a very tight fit.

Second pick is the SPM 1600 inside the V3 receiver case. The 170sbl yanks the tires around on the kraton with authority!

Looks good. It sounds like no problems with the SPM1600 having enough reserve power to run the high end 170SBL servo in your Kraton? If yes, it's much easier, cheaper & lighter to just get a glitch buster compared to an external BEC or 2S Lipo servo battery. Did you try the Eco Power WP120T in your Typhon without a SPM1600, as curious if you notice any difference with and without the glitch buster, as your WP120T specs are similar to my servo specs. This would be an interesting test and easy to just unplug the SPM1600, if you haven't already tried this?

The tightness of the servo horn can really vary from one servo to the other, let lone vary for each servo horn. This is why many aftermarket servo horns are now available with the "clamp style" screw. If your servo horn becomes too loose on your WP120T, you may have to get a screw clamp style servo horn.

I ended up getting one of these 7075-T6 servo horns for my Kraton (also available in red):
https://www.amainhobbies.com/ruddog...ack-25tprotek-ruddog-savox-rdgrp-0085/p538043

The 170sbl does great. No problems that I noticed at all.

I did not get a chance to test drive the Typhon with or without the SPM-1600, I had the front diff out. Probably this weekend Ill get a chance to drive it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back