Limitless Arrma Limitless Hobbywing 4985 1650KV or Hobbystar 4585 1580KV

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

888henry

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
  2. Typhon 6s
I'm building a limitless soon, and I'm trying to cram the largest motor I can in the front position. It's going to be run on 6s/8s for drag racing and speed runs, and I want the motor that can put down the most power. I know that the 1580kv has been pushed to 142mph on a open wheel setup, but I haven't seen much from the 1650kv. Both motors are rated for 6s but they seem to run well on 8s.
Hobbywing 1650
Hobbystar 1580

The motor for drag racing it's going to be different than the motor for top speed if you're asking what would an all-around motor be to cover both aspects that's a whole different story

I'm stuck between these two firstly because of the prices, and secondly because they seem like good all around motors. I want to know which motor would put down the most power for the limitless.

5687 or cas mmx8s 1717
Everybody uses the castle 1717 in the Limitless or infraction seems to be the go-to motor for that set up

If you go with one of the motors you mentioned you will definitely want to keep up with oiling the bearings or upgrade them all together.

With the optional Arrma 50 series motor mount you could run a TP5650 motor https://www.tppowerusa.com/motors/build-your-own/tp-56xx-series/tp-5650

The 6-D wind would be similar to the motors you mentioned.

Few things to compare also would be:
Shaft diameter
Motor poles -6 pole versus 4 pole.
Pre-wired with connectors
Motor weight comparison

Thanks for the imput Liberty, I'm on that sub $1000 budget, and a TP seems fit for my needs. My hobby shop is a distributor for TP and they have a MMX8S ready for purchase haha.
Right now I'm at $860, so a Limitless-$400, MMX8S-$200, about $150 for that new Corvette C8 body/paint, and I scored on a $110 deal for a new Futaba 3PV w/ a R314SB receiver. I have a spare servo from my Typhon.

Last edited:
Sounds like you are headed the right way (y)

You will want to consider a cap pack and good LiPos also.

If/when you get to speeds above 100mph that radio might start to have range limitations. If Futaba has a compatible dual antenna RX those seem to work very well to increase the range.

Range/signal wattage boosters are another option. I didn't like the idea of running a booster and tried the RadioLink RC6GS v2 recently with great success (1594 ft in one direction.) (over 3000 ft range standing in the middle of the speed run)

Well too late now haha. That's an insane deal considering you get the whole set for under $100. I have a V1 for my typhon but it loses range at about 300ft. Maybe I got a faulty radio, who knows?? :rolleyes:

Well too late now haha. That's an insane deal considering you get the whole set for under $100. I have a V1 for my typhon but it loses range at about 300ft. Maybe I got a faulty radio, who knows?? :rolleyes:
3PV is the radio I used for a while around 100mph and is a solid radio, but I did have some range issues above that speed.
Location and interference related to that location is a key factor. Get the RX antenna as high as you can (y)

just curious if anyone know if the hobbystar 4585 motor will fit the stock limitless motor mount?

i'm learning the hobbywing 4985 requires a optional motor mount?

I have both motors but am not a speed runner. I can say the hobbywing is better quality and stays a little cooler. Which one is faster? Idk but the hw will last longer though. Also mine is the Rocket 4585 which is the same as the hs and can be had on eBay from the China dealers for less $ if you don’t mind the wait. Hs did not brand that motor when I bought it...As for the motor mount, I had to slot one of the holes for one of the motors but can’t remember which it was. If you have a dremel it on takes a few seconds so it’s not a huge deal.

Asside from the hobbywing running a bit cooler...do they seem to perform equal?

Im leaning towards the rocket motor because it's almost half the cost...?

just curious if anyone know if the hobbystar 4585 motor will fit the stock limitless motor mount?

i'm learning the hobbywing 4985 requires a optional motor mount?
I put the HW 4985 in the stock location & mount no problem.
limitless1.JPG
limitless2.JPG

Last edited:
Asside from the hobbywing running a bit cooler...do they seem to perform equal?

Im leaning towards the rocket motor because it's almost half the cost...?
I might give a slight edge to the hw but I am bashing a pretty heavy Kraton. I run the rocket in my talion atm. Pretty much a monster in it. The rocket motors are a bargain. I’m running a 56113 rocket in the k8s with mmx8s and it’s bananas...

I'm building a limitless soon, and I'm trying to cram the largest motor I can in the front position. It's going to be run on 6s/8s for drag racing and speed runs, and I want the motor that can put down the most power. I know that the 1580kv has been pushed to 142mph on a open wheel setup, but I haven't seen much from the 1650kv. Both motors are rated for 6s but they seem to run well on 8s.
Hobbywing 1650
Hobbystar 1580
I can tell you that I run hobbywing 1650 in both my limitless gt and my limitless 1/8 scale gt that I built and I ran 137 with one and 139 with the other. The hold up very well

Nice setup.....what aluminum upgrades are those arms and chassis's braces?

I bit the bullet and ordered a max6 combo.... coming from aliexpress. Hopefully it arrives in under 3 months...haha
Hey Thanks!
I used GPM arms, links, center & front brace, R brace is from ebay seller king-hobby.

I can tell you that I run hobbywing 1650 in both my limitless gt and my limitless 1/8 scale gt that I built and I ran 137 with one and 139 with the other. The hold up very well
Late response, but thanks for the input. I couldn’t get my hands on a Limitless so Typhon GT is the plan. Were you running 8s for the 137 & 139 passes?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back