Typhon Arrma Mega Upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Casey1982

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
I have a Typhon Mega and installed a castle SW4 combo Basher edition brushless motor/ ESC and was needing some advise as to what all else needed to be upgraded in order to accommodate for the extra power, I’m new to the hobby and any help would be appreciated.

I have a Typhon Mega and installed a castle SW4 combo Basher edition brushless motor/ ESC and was needing some advise as to what all else needed to be upgraded in order to accommodate for the extra power, I’m new to the hobby and any help would be appreciated.
Look I know nothing about the Mega series so all I can say is, definitely an easier throttle finger ?

Presuming v3 typhon mega:

1) all bearings should be replaced with rubber sealed;
2) high speed driveshaft carrier not on mega - worth it for brushless;
3) mega turnbuckles/rod ends are single moulded plastic pIeces and snap in seconds on 3s power;
4) mega diffs have a little bit of grease only, need disassembling and filling with silicon oil - for your set up consider replacing with the hot racing steel diffs;
5) my mega had basically no oil in the shocks and needed refilling;
6) mega comes with a plastic motor mount, need to replace with metal for 3s power;
7) mega 5kg steering servo is guff and needs replacing;
8) mega diff inputs must be replaced with metal versions as they snap quick on 3s; and
9) mega slipper doesn't hold up long to 3s so the slipper and spur and pinion should be replaced with 0.8 mod 3s kit.

Just fyi v3 mega diff input/teeth differ from 3s, giving slightly lower ratios on the mega with the same pinion and spur.

If you have a v4 mega, points 1, 2, 3, 6 and 8 (and maybe 9, someone will know) are resolved.

My suggestion to add to the above is a flysky gt5 transmitter and receiver. Just upgraded my senton v2 to brushless and it wont stay straight without the traction control of my flysky system. May could get away with just upgrading the tactic receiver to one with some type of traction control however.

Thanks guys, I’ll make all suggested upgrades and let you know how it works out.

I guess I should have specified from the start, I bought a arrma Typhon Mega 550 brushed setup and was not impressed with the speed and purchased a castle SW4 brushless combo to try to get more out of it. I assume the same suggestions apply with upgrades, I have a few Traxxas rcs, 1 nitro slash and 1 stampede brushed and both are pretty fast just want to make the Typhon at least as fast. Thanks for the input.

There have been some revisions as of late so your upgrade path will depend on that. If it's the newest typhon it should have 3s capable drivetrain. You'd just need to keep an eye on your spur gear and have a temp gun handy if your motor doesn't have a fan, then try to work out pinion sizes to run cool. 3s is a handful and well capable of 50mph. If it's the previous generation typhon mega there's a longer list of parts to throw at it to handle 3s reliably. I'm going through that list now on my v2 senton.

All, i must have the older gen of the MEga as I ordered the hd 57 t .08 kit and it does not match up with drive shaft, sorry for what must seem like noob questions but what parts would I need to mate hd kit to drive shaft. With stock gears I was able to achieve 48 mph With 3S LiPo so I can only Imagine what it will do with hd gearing.

Buy a new v3 mega and change all the drivetrain. Or at that point put a brushless esc and motor in it. The alternative is get a 17t hd input and wait for a batch of hot racing metal spurs (same 91t spur) to come in. And the last probably best choice, buy any v3 3s setup out now, as this would probably be the most cost effective.

I am now realizing that I should have bought the 3S BLX version from the start (will know better next time) attempting to get it to the performance level I want has been a challenge and a costly one at that. Thanks for the input. As I said before I’m new to the hobby and me and my youngest son have had a blast getting into it but I still have a lot to learn.

I still have a lot to learn as well. Honestly if you get the 17t hd input and the hot racing spur that should help push out repairs a bit. Thankfully Arrmas are easy to work on, so just fix what breaks after that. That's what I'm going through on my senton and I thoroughly enjoy tinkering on it. It's fun to learn by trial and error and rewarding though patience is a must when parts are hard to get. It also can get expensive pretty quickly throwing parts that sometimes don't fit the system you choose. But half of the fun of finding things out is by your own choices and success or failure from those choices.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back