Arrma Metal Diff Case Install - Help....Question on Spider Gears Placement

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parcou

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Hospitality Award
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
  2. Felony
  3. Fireteam
  4. Granite
  5. Infraction
  6. Kraton EXB
  7. Talion EXB
  8. Typhon TLR
  9. Vorteks
On my Felony and Infraction, I am swapping to the Metal Diff Case (ARA220050)

But this one is different from the hard plastic diff case, see pic?

I tried to put it in with the clips on the side that hold the inner spider gears together...wondering why it will not fit. It's obvious...but to verify:

1. I just need the spider gears on the cross bar right... and leaving the two end pieces (needed for the OEM diff) end pieces I am referring two are placed on the white napkin

2. Do I need to leave the two shims/washer behind the spider gears inside the new cup...or remove the shims and just spider gears only?

IMG_20210120_185915.jpg
IMG_20210120_185927.jpg

The instructions for the arrma metal diffs state to use 2 shims underneath the big gears. You leave out the tombstones (the pieces on the napkin). In all my arrma red diff cases I have 2 shims underneath the big gear and 1 shim on the end of each smaller gear. It all fits and I haven't had issues in I don't know how many packs.

The instructions for the arrma metal diffs state to use 2 shims underneath the big gears. You leave out the tombstones (the pieces on the napkin). In all my arrma red diff cases I have 2 shims underneath the big gear and 1 shim on the end of each smaller gear. It all fits and I haven't had issues in I don't know how many packs.

Thank you....

Good reply. Under the big gear, I placed the ring back and the single shim like it was on the OEM diff cup. I did not know there were instructions but I did not look either. I will add two shims under the big gear (both gears one at the top and bottom of diff) and leave the single shim that was behind the tombstones.

Thx for the fast reply!!!!

I like the alloy cases that get rid of the tombstones, less rotating mass. Let us know if it fits in the bulkhead, I keep reading about fitment issues in the F/R positions.

Or has that issue been resolved by Arrma? Some of those threads are a little older now.

I like the alloy cases that get rid of the tombstones, less rotating mass. Let us know if it fits in the bulkhead, I keep reading about fitment issues in the F/R positions.

Or has that issue been resolved by Arrma? Some of those threads are a little older now.

For me, this will only be for the center diff with 500k fluid. I have never had this issue but I read that the center can get hot and melt. I live in the hot South so thought it would be a good upgrade to do. I will leave the F/R diffs as OEM.

For me, this will only be for the center diff with 500k fluid. I have never had this issue but I read that the center can get hot and melt. I live in the hot South so thought it would be a good upgrade to do. I will leave the F/R diffs as OEM.
I have them in my outcast for all 3 diffs. I had issues with the front/rear diff though. With both gaskets, I wasn't able to shim the ring/pinion properly. I ended up removing the gasket on the cap end and used RTV to seal it. I cleaned it with DA, put RTV on it, screwed the screws tight and let it cure overnight. Then I shimmed as needed until there was smooth movement with the spiders/sun gears. Only then was I able to fit enough shims on the ring gear side to get mesh that was "tight" without binding and it's been finally holding up. After frying my 6th or 7th ring gear/pinion... I had to try something.

I have a feeling part of my issue with ring/pinions was running the tall wrapped trenchers, which I've since replaced with stock wrapped backflips. The trenchers are quite a bit heavier and arrma uses shallow teeth on a relatively thin ring gear that must flex under load.

My savage flux and ERBEv2 don't have issues with diffs, like ever. Both have the 3.8" trenchers and 6S power running through them.

Im in the south too and have melted a center.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back