Arrma Nero 6S BLX. Assistance Req'd...please:/

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Bojenkals

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Nero
Hey there fellow Arrma owners!

I was in the market for a new r/c as I've been in the hobby for almost 14 years now, although I've only had experience with nitro. I decided I waned to go electric as nitro just got too expensive and time consuming. I've been a long time Traxxas owner, but wasn't really attracted to the E-Revo or X-Maxx. After much research, YouTube videos and endless trips to manufacturers' websites, I decided on the durability, features, and appeal of the Nero w/diff brain. My first electric 4WD MT! Got it much less than MSRP with the right coupons on Tower which was awesome, and I couldn't wait for it to arrive!! I also ordered the Duratrax 3s 5400mah 50c lipos to power this beast of a machine.

Fast forward to my FIRST run, about 15 min in, and I snapped the front right rocker post when I hit a metal pipe at a very awkward angle protruding from the ground...understandable. After replacing that, I was back in action. I had a few other gut wrenching crashes and mishaps getting used to the truck, but nothing else broke as far as I know. Great!

After learning to respect the power of the Nero in blast mode, I was feeling confident about switching modes. The wheelie mode is crazy! I have to admit that any 13lb r/c that can back flip from a stand-still is a winner in my book. Drift mode is insane, especially in really low traction surfaces, like grass or wet pavement. I've got a nice rock crawling set-up in my neighborhood so I decided to lock all diffs and give that a whirl. Here is where my problem starts. (As I said before, I've been in the hobby almost 14yrs now, my dad has also been a mechanic for over 50 years. I'm no expert of the craft, however I know enough to confidently work on my own vehicles. I say this to give you an understanding of my experience with these machines and car mechanics in general). I know that you want to be very light on the throttle in crawl mode, avoid hard turning etc. They call it rock "crawling" and not "sprinting" for a reason. Needless to say this thing conquered terrains I couldn't believe.

Anyways, my problem is that as soon as i was done crawling, I took it back on pavement(low sped) to head back home and noticed it pulls VERY hard to the right. I came to a full stop and switched back to blast mode, it drove straight again, however I started hearing a weird sound under heavy/ full throttle in blast mode. Almost sounds like something is rubbing a tire, but obviously I looked and that isn't the case. Only under heavy throttle do I hear the sound. Light throttle I don't hear anything. My first thought as far as the pulling to the right was obviously the front diff was acting up. I was hoping someone here might have some insight on this and hoping its a simple common fix or something like that, before i go pulling diffs out and whatnot. This is also the same side the snapped the rocker post, which I don't know if that has anything to do with this issue. As far as the sound, I'm stumped. I've been working all weekend so I haven't had time to really inspect and mess with it. I'll post a vid hopefully capturing the sound and some pics of my other problems and suspicions.

I really want to love this truck. ok, I DO love this truck, it's just hard when I feel mine is way to fragile to attempt half the stunts I've seen in the Arrma ad videos on their website. I know it's marketing, but I don't see things breaking on their truck when they do crazy things like fly off giant boulders at the beach and land on more rocks.

Any help/insight, upgrades or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I've already purchased wheelie bar/ dirt guards from Arrma. I have not yet contacted them directly regarding my issues, however I plan to do so sometime during this week. Sorry for the LOOONG post, and if you've made it to the end, thank you. I just feel the more you know, the better you may be able to help me. Thanks again, and super excited to be a part of the Arrma Community!

Hey there fellow Arrma owners!

I was in the market for a new r/c as I've been in the hobby for almost 14 years now, although I've only had experience with nitro. I decided I waned to go electric as nitro just got too expensive and time consuming. I've been a long time Traxxas owner, but wasn't really attracted to the E-Revo or X-Maxx. After much research, YouTube videos and endless trips to manufacturers' websites, I decided on the durability, features, and appeal of the Nero w/diff brain. My first electric 4WD MT! Got it much less than MSRP with the right coupons on Tower which was awesome, and I couldn't wait for it to arrive!! I also ordered the Duratrax 3s 5400mah 50c lipos to power this beast of a machine.

Fast forward to my FIRST run, about 15 min in, and I snapped the front right rocker post when I hit a metal pipe at a very awkward angle protruding from the ground...understandable. After replacing that, I was back in action. I had a few other gut wrenching crashes and mishaps getting used to the truck, but nothing else broke as far as I know. Great!

After learning to respect the power of the Nero in blast mode, I was feeling confident about switching modes. The wheelie mode is crazy! I have to admit that any 13lb r/c that can back flip from a stand-still is a winner in my book. Drift mode is insane, especially in really low traction surfaces, like grass or wet pavement. I've got a nice rock crawling set-up in my neighborhood so I decided to lock all diffs and give that a whirl. Here is where my problem starts. (As I said before, I've been in the hobby almost 14yrs now, my dad has also been a mechanic for over 50 years. I'm no expert of the craft, however I know enough to confidently work on my own vehicles. I say this to give you an understanding of my experience with these machines and car mechanics in general). I know that you want to be very light on the throttle in crawl mode, avoid hard turning etc. They call it rock "crawling" and not "sprinting" for a reason. Needless to say this thing conquered terrains I couldn't believe.

Anyways, my problem is that as soon as i was done crawling, I took it back on pavement(low sped) to head back home and noticed it pulls VERY hard to the right. I came to a full stop and switched back to blast mode, it drove straight again, however I started hearing a weird sound under heavy/ full throttle in blast mode. Almost sounds like something is rubbing a tire, but obviously I looked and that isn't the case. Only under heavy throttle do I hear the sound. Light throttle I don't hear anything. My first thought as far as the pulling to the right was obviously the front diff was acting up. I was hoping someone here might have some insight on this and hoping its a simple common fix or something like that, before i go pulling diffs out and whatnot. This is also the same side the snapped the rocker post, which I don't know if that has anything to do with this issue. As far as the sound, I'm stumped. I've been working all weekend so I haven't had time to really inspect and mess with it. I'll post a vid hopefully capturing the sound and some pics of my other problems and suspicions.

I really want to love this truck. ok, I DO love this truck, it's just hard when I feel mine is way to fragile to attempt half the stunts I've seen in the Arrma ad videos on their website. I know it's marketing, but I don't see things breaking on their truck when they do crazy things like fly off giant boulders at the beach and land on more rocks.

Any help/insight, upgrades or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I've already purchased wheelie bar/ dirt guards from Arrma. I have not yet contacted them directly regarding my issues, however I plan to do so sometime during this week. Sorry for the LOOONG post, and if you've made it to the end, thank you. I just feel the more you know, the better you may be able to help me. Thanks again, and super excited to be a part of the Arrma Community!

no problem. ..longer the post the better...vids also help. .

hmmm...just for a starting point.. do a quick bench test ..
turn it on...flip it upside down on a table or on floor...and apply throttle...not too much... in each of the modes...see if the wheels are doing anything strange ....noises?...so toggle through each setting and spin each wheel by hand to see if the diffs are locking meaning that the wheels are responding as they should in each mode...

but yeah..pulling hard to one side is telling us that something is either locked or free when it shouldn't be. ..

check that the bearings are spinning freely...any broken shaft pins?...anything obviously bent?..look carefully. ..

take vids...good luck...

It sounds like you snapped a axel pin, check them all to see if they are broken. the rubbing you hear may be the slipper slipping, its a wierd sound if you don't know what it is. even tho the top of the pin is still in the plastic collar does not mean its not broken its threaded in and probaly broke right beneth the threads.

no problem. ..longer the post the better...vids also help. .

hmmm...just for a starting point.. do a quick bench test ..
turn it on...flip it upside down on a table or on floor...and apply throttle...not too much... in each of the modes...see if the wheels are doing anything strange ....noises?...so toggle through each setting and spin each wheel by hand to see if the diffs are locking meaning that the wheels are responding as they should in each mode...

but yeah..pulling hard to one side is telling us that something is either locked or free when it shouldn't be. ..

check that the bearings are spinning freely...any broken shaft pins?...anything obviously bent?..look carefully. ..

take vids...good luck...

Thanks so much for sharing your experience and insight!
I'm spending a lot of time and money upgrading my Yeti XL that I've just been babying my Nero.
I am completely deaf and rely on visual cues and hands on touchy feely info. Your bench test info is awesome!
So other than "noises " can you describe further "wheels doing anything strange "?
My Nero W/brain has performed flawlessly so far, but I am not an aggressive basher, but not wimpy on it either.
As with all our vehicles, breakage is obvious and repair follows. I am faithful to the maintenance procedures in the manual and hopefully our friends are too.

Thanks so much for sharing your experience and insight!
I'm spending a lot of time and money upgrading my Yeti XL that I've just been babying my Nero.
I am completely deaf and rely on visual cues and hands on touchy feely info. Your bench test info is awesome!
So other than "noises " can you describe further "wheels doing anything strange "?
My Nero W/brain has performed flawlessly so far, but I am not an aggressive basher, but not wimpy on it either.
As with all our vehicles, breakage is obvious and repair follows. I am faithful to the maintenance procedures in the manual and hopefully our friends are too.

other than noises..and going visual or by feel....as josh mentioned...could be an axle pin...at which case you could test by the bench test method...locking all diffs...and holding each wheel one at a time and apply light throttle to see if it is actually transmitting load...

one strange problem I had recently is i melted the hex shapeout of the wheel. ..I found a bearing that was packed up with dirt and over heated...got so hot it melted the hex in the plastic and was spinning freely...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back