Big Rock arrma nero buying/making IS IT WORTH IT?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
  2. Nero
  3. Talion
Some people will say this should have been posted as a want to buy.

Anybody who knows me well, (from an rc car perspective) will know that I really like the arrma nero. Also they will know I don't have one...yet. Today I added up the price for the new parts for a arrma nero with diff brain the total is around $1400(for every part I would need). Comparing it to a used heavily arrma nero with diff brain being around $900. My plan is to buy a nero w/o diff brain and add the 3 mini servos and a 6-7 channel radio and program 3 of the channels that operate with a switch to lock the diffs. Has anybody tried this and had good results (or bad results) does anybody have a arrma nero/big rock 6s/ fazon 6s that they would be willing to sell. If so please respond to this thread. The price I am willing to pay has a lot to do with what the condition the nero is in. Also due to lack of availability on the body does anybody know if any other bodies fit on the nero platform. Also if nobody is willing to sell their old nero would I be better off getting all the new parts and assembling the nero or buying a used one on ebay or facebook marketplace.

If I get somebody who is willing to sell I will create a want to buy thread and that person can respond to that thread.

Mine is stock w/diff brain (immaculate 😎) I don’t think I’d part with it even for $1400.
Here is a link you might be interested in.https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/how-to-configure-nero-diff-brain-with-futaba-radio.1654/

I say if you really want one go for it. You can still find them for a decent price.

I was wondering if I could run a nero on something like this Spektrum DXS Transmitter with AR410 Receiver | Tower Hobbies and put the micro servos on 3 separate channels to operate without the diff brain (bc that part is not possible to come by without buying a new nero)
this remote is not necessarily the one I would run but I wanted you to get the idea

I was wondering if I could run a nero on something like this Spektrum DXS Transmitter with AR410 Receiver | Tower Hobbies and put the micro servos on 3 separate channels to operate without the diff brain (bc that part is not possible to come by without buying a new nero)
this remote is not necessarily the one I would run but I wanted you to get the idea
Absolutely not. You are looking for at least 5 channels (throttle, steering, 3 diff lockers). The setup you linked is 4 channel max.

Edit;
I misread your comment, if you use a different radio (5 channel) and configure the micro servos like you would dig units in a crawler, I don't see why not. I would recommend trying to find a pistol grip radio with 3 toggle switches however.

I’m not familiar with tx/rx but I don’t think it would work. The brain plugs into the third channel and the diffs are controlled from the brain.
You might want to check this out.https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/how-to-configure-nero-diff-brain-with-futaba-radio.1654/

With a little google-fu I was able to gather that the locking mechanism for the diffs came pre-attached to the locking servos. Without finding that specifically assembly, it may be impossible. Also, wasn't the Nero Big Rock reinforced and beefed up from the base Nero?

He is still using the Diff Brain in this video. I think the original question was if he can go without the diff brain and use multiple servos on independant channels without it.

Anybody who knows me well, (from an rc car perspective) will know that I really like the arrma nero. Also they will know I don't have one...yet. Today I added up the price for the new parts for a arrma nero with diff brain the total is around $1400(for every part I would need). Comparing it to a used heavily arrma nero with diff brain being around $900. My plan is to buy a nero w/o diff brain and add the 3 mini servos and a 6-7 channel radio and program 3 of the channels that operate with a switch to lock the diffs. Has anybody tried this and had good results (or bad results) does anybody have a arrma nero/big rock 6s/ fazon 6s that they would be willing to sell. If so please respond to this thread. The price I am willing to pay has a lot to do with what the condition the nero is in. Also due to lack of availability on the body does anybody know if any other bodies fit on the nero platform. Also if nobody is willing to sell their old nero would I be better off getting all the new parts and assembling the nero or buying a used one on ebay or facebook marketplace.

If I get somebody who is willing to sell I will create a want to buy thread and that person can respond to that thread.
I've built two Nero BRs from spare parts and it came out to appx $1100-1200 each. You're better off patiently waiting and buying a good condition used one. Honestly, I only ever lock the center diff on my original Big Rock, so I eliminated the front and rear diff lock mechanism/servo on the two I built. I've even thought about just filling the diffs with silicone oil of proper thickness, just to see how it runs. As far as bodies, you could use anything that fits the Savage Flux XL or use Russian unbreakable bodies.
With a little google-fu I was able to gather that the locking mechanism for the diffs came pre-attached to the locking servos. Without finding that specifically assembly, it may be impossible. Also, wasn't the Nero Big Rock reinforced and beefed up from the base Nero?
Yes, the BR had HD universal joints, axles, and shock rod ends.

I found the micro servo set. But for the life of me I can't find a diff brain without buying a used nero. So I want to have a nero that I can operate without a diff brain.(for if the diff brain dies on me or something like that) ADS-08 DIFF LOCKING SERVO SET (AR390103) | ARRMA - Designed Fast, Designed Tough (arrma-rc.com)
I have almost no knowledge on rc airplanes. So I don't know if this will work. But with rc planes when they flip a switch for anything operating on a servo the servo extends a programmed amount. I want to try and do something like that for each diff. But is that possible or easy?

You can do that servo function with most programmable transmitters that have toggle switches. Just make sure you are setting endpoints up correctly for the channels that run the locker servos. Set 100% on the transmitter to locked position, -100% to open position.

Yep, what he said 👍
If the servo endpoints are are set properly out of the box you’re golden.
Otherwise the diff brain is used for setting EP.
cid:1D9B8380-121C-448A-A20E-F57F9E2D8785
1616596271110.png

Last edited:

If you are serious about the Nero. I have one, never used, NIB, all paperwork and documents, no diff brain, selling for $2K.

What's the draw of the Nero?
What fanboy4life said. Plus the front, center, and rear roll cages, along with a very strong drivetrain, are what I like about the Nero. The HD parts and body that fit perfectly over/onto the front and rear bumpers are what I like about the Nero Big Rock.

Last edited:
What fanboy4lif said. Plus the front, center, and rear roll cages, along with a very strong drivetrain, are what I like about the Nero. The HD parts and body that fit perfectly over/onto the front and rear bumpers are what I like about the Nero Big Rock.
You had/have 2 would you sell one? I would probably buy one in the late summer (bc I need to have a little bit of dignity about my rc budget)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back