Arrma Nero First Run and Issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Digitalwarrior

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
Out of the box, this is the toughest looking and feeling 1/8 MT I've owned. I've had E/T-Maxx, Revo/E-Revo and the HPI Savage F4.6/Flux. All of which needed hop ups and aftermarket parts to compare to the Nero.

Now, day one I was bashing it around no harder and no less than the above mentioned. It took some serious headend hits, long cartwheels and all around abuse like a champ. The kind of abuse that any of the above mentioned would crumble out of the box. It is pretty heavy and still takes the abuse, that's what blows me away. Like a squirrel falling out of a tall oak tree, the squirrel hits the ground and takes off running. If I was to take the same fall, I would roll around in pain for an hour, probably with broke limbs.

That being said, I did have some parts break day one. I did a pre use inspection, like I always do with new vehicles. But, somethings cannot be anticipated. I had a shock rod end break. After further inspection, the rod end wasn't screwed all the way down, that caused a weak spot and therefore the breakage. Cannot flaw the truck for that. However, my front diff brain servo extension wire came lose, slid out of the clamp and wrapped around the center drive shaft. It was totally shredded. Being day one, I took it back and the warranty work is being done as I write this.

The servo extension wire is the main reason I write this. I'm sure extensive testing was done during the production of this vehicle. If this happened to me on day one, surly it happened during testing. Maybe not, maybe I had a bad egg...IDK. Inspect your diff brain servo wires, extensions and the clamp that holds them. Tape the wires back, glue them or whatever you see fit. I inspected the rest after this incident and the rear clamp was letting the connection go to. But, it is a new design and with it come new issues. It would've been a cheap fix even if it wasn't under warranty. I just would've bought a 6" servo extension wire and glued the connection in the clamp. But if the servo wire itself was shredded, that would be a different issue.

Secure all your semi permanent connections with liquid electrical tape. Even where servos connect to your receiver. They will never come undone and, when needed, you can easily peel the stuff off in one piece without leaving a trace.

?q=tbn:ANd9GcT5nGkeVN1dzffU45PEsbqpQ0EirOriH44Q7k71S2ge3F3j0necsUvL6ATVJZ39lyyhTakM2m2D&usqp=CAY.jpg

I had my first run today and had the forward bolt on the steering linkage come loose. I was lucky I noticed the bolt his the ground when I picked the truck up. The bolt doesn't seem long enough to be held by the nylon part of the nut. Might be just my truck but its worth a look so you don't loose steering whilst driving.

Hello all,
Out of the box, this is the toughest looking and feeling 1/8 MT I've owned. I've had E/T-Maxx, Revo/E-Revo and the HPI Savage F4.6/Flux. All of which needed hop ups and aftermarket parts to compare to the Nero.

Now, day one I was bashing it around no harder and no less than the above mentioned. It took some serious headend hits, long cartwheels and all around abuse like a champ. The kind of abuse that any of the above mentioned would crumble out of the box. It is pretty heavy and still takes the abuse, that's what blows me away. Like a squirrel falling out of a tall oak tree, the squirrel hits the ground and takes off running. If I was to take the same fall, I would roll around in pain for an hour, probably with broke limbs.

That being said, I did have some parts break day one. I did a pre use inspection, like I always do with new vehicles. But, somethings cannot be anticipated. I had a shock rod end break. After further inspection, the rod end wasn't screwed all the way down, that caused a weak spot and therefore the breakage. Cannot flaw the truck for that. However, my front diff brain servo extension wire came lose, slid out of the clamp and wrapped around the center drive shaft. It was totally shredded. Being day one, I took it back and the warranty work is being done as I write this.

The servo extension wire is the main reason I write this. I'm sure extensive testing was done during the production of this vehicle. If this happened to me on day one, surly it happened during testing. Maybe not, maybe I had a bad egg...IDK. Inspect your diff brain servo wires, extensions and the clamp that holds them. Tape the wires back, glue them or whatever you see fit. I inspected the rest after this incident and the rear clamp was letting the connection go to. But, it is a new design and with it come new issues. It would've been a cheap fix even if it wasn't under warranty. I just would've bought a 6" servo extension wire and glued the connection in the clamp. But if the servo wire itself was shredded, that would be a different issue.
Wow - I researched away before I ordered mine. I have two other 1/8 scale trucks with endless issues and got sick and tired of being sick and tired. I read a lot of instances with the diff brain. Melted locks, diffs that locked and stay locked, diff brain button pressed when going to fast...etc etc. I do not drift - have an HPI Sprint Flux 2 for that. Do not crawl - have a Slash & Stampede for that. SOOOOO - I went with the green version. I figure the 5 throttle settings will be fine for more / less wheelies and on 6S - wheelies will not be an issue. I can buy and install down the road after Im totally used to taking this bad boy apart a few times and maybe then. I spent the xtra cash on 5400 11.1v 50C Onyx 3s batteries, T Bone Racing WheelieBar (crazy wide) and some Nero Mud Flaps....

Last edited:
I broke a shock rod end on the rear, and the other was bent and outa shape upon inspection, ordered more be here tomorrow, mean time i used some othe ends that are a tad bigger so ive been babying it not wanting to break it again before i get spare parts, i bought a set of the onyx batteries 5400mah 3s 50c and i am not impressed... today was first time running them full charge to dead in one shot in the nero and they were 123 or so degrees when i took them out... motor was 133 esc 109 give or take a few degrees the batteries cells were all out of balance, when charged they were 4.19 across the board at lvc the cells were 3.25, 3.65, and 3.46... the other battery was similar... i don't like my batteries to get that hot... i ran a set of maxamps 6000mah 3s 100c and they did not get hot they were warm but not hot to the touch. Had a front tire come unglued today seen it re glued it and was running again in no time... other than this ive had no issues. Added a tbone wheelie bar and its awesome. Front bumper is next. Love my nero its a blast to drive and the diffbrain is cool no issues yet but who knows only a couple runs on it so we shall see...

Very happy I skipped the diff brain to be honest. It's always an option to install later. I have read too many instances of it being a day-ender. I bought this truck because I'm so tired of endless back and forth to my local hobby store. All I do is run the truck - it stops - go to hobby store and spend two hours - get truck back and repeat. My lesson learned ? Never take a 4s monster truck and upgrade the esc/ motor to 6s without considering the internals.

glad you are enjoying it...

I like diff brain. ..no issues from me...no issues from many...I suspect a number of issues could be a range of installation errors...or improper use...but some vids put out show the nero taking a serious pounding with or without the diff brain...

yep...you can always install it later...and I'm betting you will ..but have fun either way and don't worry about it. ..time will tell ...and the bar has been set that diff brain type capable rc vehicles will be more common in the future and can only get better and more reliable. ...

I am a very happy betta tester...

Lol Afro - very good point. I give myself a month maximum before I get bored and order the diff brain and blue shell!!!!

Wow - I researched away before I ordered mine. I have two other 1/8 scale trucks with endless issues and got sick and tired of being sick and tired. I read a lot of instances with the diff brain. Melted locks, diffs that locked and stay locked, diff brain button pressed when going to fast...etc etc. I do not drift - have an HPI Sprint Flux 2 for that. Do not crawl - have a Slash & Stampede for that. SOOOOO - I went with the green version. I figure the 5 throttle settings will be fine for more / less wheelies and on 6S - wheelies will not be an issue. I can buy and install down the road after Im totally used to taking this bad boy apart a few times and maybe then. I spent the xtra cash on 5400 11.1v 50C Onyx 3s batteries, T Bone Racing WheelieBar (crazy wide) and some Nero Mud Flaps....
How do you like the tbone skids? any good for bashing

Got my Nero, was pretty impressed with the speed the first day broke the pivot bolt for the cantilever to the shock. I think it was over torqued at the factory, replace that with a 30 millimeter Bolt works just fine day 2 split the whole entire rim and have Good zip ties holding it together till I get a new set of wheels will taking some pretty hard crashes being this is my first big truck other than that pretty happy with it

Welcome to the forum! Thanks for the info. It might be helpful to add another length of extension to the Diff brain servo connections. You have to deal with securing it but I've found that the recommended installation doesn't leave much room for ease of install/removal and no room for wiggle in a hard crash or landing. I added one extension to each and then zip ties to gather up the extra wire. Made my life much easier. I never had a disconnect while driving but I found that some of them were pretty much at maximum extension when installed.

Day three got two other rims split. Apparently the rims don't like to handle high speed cornering on gravel lot and trail. Bobby a backup set of wheels definitely going to get a set of aluminum rims

@Erex
Upps,
I have my Big Rock now since 6 weeks and just a body stand is broken.
You had destroyed three rims in-between 3 days!?! How u doing that?
Do you hit the Nero against the wall?
In case of aluminium rims, u will put the introduction to another part and them will not be so flexible than rims of plastic.
Also the hole wheel will become heavier and will give more force to the suspension.

Regards,
lonee

@Erex
Upps,
I have my Big Rock now since 6 weeks and just a body stand is broken.
You had destroyed three rims in-between 3 days!?! How u doing that?
Do you hit the Nero against the wall?
In case of aluminium rims, u will put the introduction to another part and them will not be so flexible than rims of plastic.
Also the hole wheel will become heavier and will give more force to the suspension.

Regards,
lonee
Not hitting any obstacles like walls. Right now the grass is frozen. Just had one shear off completely. Doing high speed corners must be to much and cold weather. Bought some proline trenchers for backup and no installed. Have to see how they hold up being about an inch wider

Attachments

• IMAG1485_BURST003.jpg
    IMAG1485_BURST003.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 71
I will do an update when I get my aluminum wheels and I get a couple packs in

I am interested....
Probably you're rims are broken depends of the temperature. Mi Wife had also broken their rims an a 1:10 LRP Short course truck.
Just while driving outside with soft touching some wood. It was looking similar than you're damaging.
The Nero BR rims had no issued till yet except some scratches with no effect.

I am looking also for a good set of bead lock rims which will allow to change tires for testing, without gluing every time.
I am using 1:10 Beadlocks on my AX10 Crawler but them are to small inside to fit on the Nero.
While surfing the net, I saw Duratrax Big Joe with 17mm hex on a Summit, but I don't know about ballooning of these wheels.
I have some similar Louise Bandit on my Short course, but these are ballooning a lot on 2s but high power motor.
We will see what happens in future. I think they're will give us tires and rims which will be a litte more stable.

Regards,
lonee

the prolines that I put on a balloon like hell and with three and a half inches wide tread pattern it's so much grip it's impossible to control the car on take off. Now to find a set of rims so I can use the BF Goodrich tires which is a narrower Tire which makes launching more manageable I think the wheel offset is so drastic on the arrma rims that the leverage Factor is hard on the center support. The proline rims are dead center mount

I had the same exact thing happen to me on my first run. Did a small kart wheel nothing to bad. I have since fixed it. Was a pain to do but i agree 100% the screw seems short. Have not ran it hard yet again but hope I fixed it well enough to hold. Not sure if that is a warranty fix or not though.

I had my first run today and had the forward bolt on the steering linkage come loose. I was lucky I noticed the bolt his the ground when I picked the truck up. The bolt doesn't seem long enough to be held by the nylon part of the nut. Might be just my truck but its worth a look so you don't loose steering whilst driving.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back