Arrma Nero Suspension Thread Pt. 2

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fiery

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Nero
Ever since I got the nero the suspension has been really fussy. At first it bottomed out a lot and didn't soak up bumps so I thought smaller pistons and lower shock weight oil. I tried that by using 3 hole pistons with 1/16 in holes and 60 weight shock oil. It made the suspension super soft. I then thought of using 80wt shock oil with some kind of dual rate piston. I thought I had the perfect plan when I bought . Traxxas told me "they should be a perfect fit for the nero
wink.gif
." They were definitely not a perfect fit. So I stayed with the same idea and cut small plastic sheets, similar to the steel ones in the kit, out of plastic dividers. When paired with the 80 weight oil it was somehow still very loose. I kept it this way for a while and didn't really mind it all that much. It performed amazing on rocky terrain. It was just so cool to see the truck steam rolling at full throttgle while the suspension is soaking up every bump. Even when it jumped it didn't make that loud thump. The truck could be pushed down with your finger really easily and rebound very fast so I new I could go up in oil but it didn't seem right to go past 80. I bought some new blank piston, hobao spring cups to free up the suspension as much as possible and big rock rods for the rear because I broke one at the skate park (No suprise you should've seen the jumps I was doing, just flat out cruel to the truck
biggrin.gif
). I also bought some 80wt and 2k diff oil to mess with the shocks. I drilled out 4 holes that measured .9 mm and cut out more valve sheets to mut on top of the pistons. I also made plastic washers so the sheets won't rip. I took ou the shocks and cleaned them up and then installed the new pistons with the new palstic sheets and thoought wth I'll just use the steel ones from the kit. I first tried 80wt oil and the shock was ROCK HARD
redface.gif
I was actually really suprised to I went down in numbers untill I got to 30wt. I ended up doing 30 and 45 half and half. It was still stiff but I thought it would change later on after being on the tuck. I set up the rebound at zero given how stiff the shocks are. I installed them and they were still stiff on the truck but I think they would be perfect at 30wt and 1mm pistons. I still need to test them after my front arm comes in but I think I'm almost there. I'll attach some pics and a short vid of how I jump my truck for reference. please comment how you think your suspension should be setup. I am on a quest to find the best setup for the nero. The one in blue is what I think is good for not jumping and red is what is good for jumping. For the picture of the 4 pistons in a row, from left to right is all the different ones that I've tried.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/156700.../shares/8sh57H

report.gif

I personally have 100wt on all four shocks and I'm using gold springs from hot racing. They are the stiffest springs they have. I know it's a little over kill. But I don't have any problems bottoming out. I do some petty huge jumps and flips 20ft+ so I like how it runs. I haven't had any issues besides popping one of the shock caps for having a stripped cap. But I put some new caps and It works perfect for me

I personally have 100wt on all four shocks and I'm using gold springs from hot racing. They are the stiffest springs they have. I know it's a little over kill. But I don't have any problems bottoming out. I do some petty huge jumps and flips 20ft+ so I like how it runs. I haven't had any issues besides popping one of the shock caps for having a stripped cap. But I put some new caps and It works perfect for me
Hot Racing has some blue springs out now,68mm, they are hella stiff. Way more than the gold. After much trial and error, I finally ended up putting on the Arrma 75mm springs with big rock shocks. Had to carefully bore the Hobao cups to fit the big rock rod end diameter. I also did the skid plate trimming to allow more height and travel of the arms. Put on the HR hubs all the way around and the +5 extensions. Running Axial beadlocks with mudslinger tires on a 13t pinion for the increased load. It's pretty amazing for off-road use and takes impact like a champ.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back