Notorious Arrma Notorious v5 BIG DIFF MISTAKE!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ruzty1311

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Notorious
  4. Typhon 3s
As the title says, I made a big mistake lol I'm fairly new to this whole arrma rc gang, and although I've come a long way and learned a lot in just a few months, the newb in me struck like lightening.

Long story short, I did a perfect backflip and landed on level dirt ground about 10ft but managed to snap a rear outdrive diff cup clean off which also stripped the diff ring gear. I went to Jenny'sRC and THOUGHT all the 6s diffs were the same so I bought the cheapest one I could find: Typhon 6s.

Well turns out the Typhon 6s is straight cut and the Noto is spiral cut. I bought a couple of them for backups. I just recently installed new bulkheads which of course come with input gears which are either spiral or straight cut to match the diff ring. The problem was, I took the diffs out of the new bulkheads (JennysRC) because it was only the diffs that needed replacement until recently. Anywho, I now am almost 100% positive I have a straight cut diff in the rear and a spiral cut diff in the front lol!

Moral of the story, don't BE LIKE ME!!! I think the only negative side effect would be a weaker rear diff than the front so I might strip that one on the next bash session haha! Anybody else willing to admit they were as stupid as I was? No? Only me? Fair enough :smuggrin:

Just picked up a noto and all the diffs are standard cut. Not sure how yours were spiral. I’m finding the good mix is 60k-300k-30k. I think I could even go a little heavier in the center.

Just picked up a noto and all the diffs are standard cut. Not sure how yours were spiral. I’m finding the good mix is 60k-300k-30k. I think I could even go a little heavier in the center.
Look at them again. Trust me, theyre not lol Check the exploded view and look at the part #'s on arrma. They LOOK straight...but they have the SLIGHTEST of spiral cut to them

The center is standard. The front and rear are spiral. Sorry meant to add this

As far as diff fluid goes I did 100k front / 500k C/ and 50k R

I think 500k center is the sweet spot. How does the 100-500-50 run?
Also, servo saver is way loose. I guess the only way to fix it is fit shims to tighten up the spring. Any other suggestions……

Runs great as far as I can tell lol Doesn't wheelie out of control like it used to I feel which for me, is a good thing :)

100/earplug/50 works even better🤙
Also, servo saver is way loose. I guess the only way to fix it is fit shims to tighten up the spring. Any other suggestions……
If you got any extra external diff shims you can use those to shim the spring up

Attachments

• C7122DE7-987A-490F-80F2-07B5C8531C74.jpeg
    C7122DE7-987A-490F-80F2-07B5C8531C74.jpeg
    185.2 KB · Views: 50
I didn't have any trouble when I busted my first diff on the noto . I got the exb diff and had no problems with the input gear meshing with it?

I didn't have any trouble when I busted my first diff on the noto . I got the exb diff and had no problems with the input gear meshing with it?
Are you suggesting EXB ring gear to standard pinion? That combination shouldn't work the helix angle is different, I guess you may be able to force it but it certainly won't work properly.

Are you suggesting EXB ring gear to standard pinion? That combination shouldn't work the helix angle is different, I guess you may be able to force it but it certainly won't work properly.
I was going to say the same thing lol

Have you ran it yet @Kusher?

As the title says, I made a big mistake lol I'm fairly new to this whole arrma rc gang, and although I've come a long way and learned a lot in just a few months, the newb in me struck like lightening.

Long story short, I did a perfect backflip and landed on level dirt ground about 10ft but managed to snap a rear outdrive diff cup clean off which also stripped the diff ring gear. I went to Jenny'sRC and THOUGHT all the 6s diffs were the same so I bought the cheapest one I could find: Typhon 6s.

Well turns out the Typhon 6s is straight cut and the Noto is spiral cut. I bought a couple of them for backups. I just recently installed new bulkheads which of course come with input gears which are either spiral or straight cut to match the diff ring. The problem was, I took the diffs out of the new bulkheads (JennysRC) because it was only the diffs that needed replacement until recently. Anywho, I now am almost 100% positive I have a straight cut diff in the rear and a spiral cut diff in the front lol!

Moral of the story, don't BE LIKE ME!!! I think the only negative side effect would be a weaker rear diff than the front so I might strip that one on the next bash session haha! Anybody else willing to admit they were as stupid as I was? No? Only me? Fair enough :smuggrin:
Sounds like something i would do.:D:D

100/earplug/50 works even better🤙

If you got any extra external diff shims you can use those to shim the spring up
Can you give me a link to the silicone ear plugs you use? I see several different ones on Amazon, but I don’t want to get the wrong one!! Or are they all the same? I see silicone wax ear plugs….i just don’t know which ones to use…lol

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back