Outcast ARRMA Outcast LED install only $8 plus your labor. Came out awesome!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Custnam

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 4s
After getting the LED kit for my Maxx (that I just sold) my new to RC neighbor that I regrettably sold my Outcast 4s to wanted LED's too. So I went with an idea Ive had for awhile for a very simple and cheap LED install. I bought these here for $7.99 from Amazon. Then with a body reamer (drill will work too), some gorilla tape (any strong tape will work), and soldering new connectors on so the body could be taken off easily I installed the LED's. I then installed the LED bulbs into the truck with some additional wider washers on the outside, and a larger lock washer on the inside to hold them securely. I was sure that without some washers they would have punched right through the body with the first solid impact. I then ran the other end of the wire into the receiver box. It was a bit of pain to get the additional wire to fit in the gap where they go through the receiver box but I got it. The pics below will show the process probably better than I can explain but I basically just made a connector that could be undone when removing the body (also turning off the LEDs for running in the day). Im sure you could also have a toggle switch to turn them off and on, but I figured this was the easiest way to install them. Because even with a toggle you would always have to worry about yanking too hard on the wires. For anyone that wants to do this and use the same stuff I did here is a link to the JST connector kit I bought for $10. So I guess that makes the total about $20. Not bad still.

I think it came out great. The neighbor/ friend now wants the same thing done on the other 2 Outcast bodies. So Ill be doing it three more times (see my Kraton 4s note below). So far it has held up to some pretty extreme bashing. The only thing that has happened is the LED bulbs would occasionally fall out. 4 dabs of super glue solved that. I will also be doing that to my Kraton 4s I just bought from @jondilly1974 when I get it soon. He has already done most of the upgrades I would have done, but I have a few more in mind I will post about. The first being swapping the STX2 with my Flysky FS-GT5. Anyway enough babbling pics below!

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
10.jpg
11.jpg
12.jpg

Last edited:
Nice work. Looks nice and neat, well lit.
I would place hot glue around the the areas where the wires exit the led's. And HS over that area. That is always a weak point. They break being very thin metal leads. They can also dead short to each other and brick your BEC circuit if that's your power source. Been there. Bashing is very hard on Led's. The led's can handle impacts very well, but the lead terminal connections are the weak link. I've eaten many.

:cool: I picked up a $9. glue gun at Home depot in the Power Tool section. Indispensable. Shoo Goo/E6000 also works, but its not as rigid as hot glue for that area. It needs to be rigid for bashing. My 3 Crawlers are fine with 'goo, but my Noto. and Tekno MT need the hot glue.
Lighting looks much better on the body. But I learned to mount my lights on the chassis F and R. Bodies break and get replaced more often. Depends how you bash I guess. Chassis mounting is much harder IMHO. I use a 2 inch light bar in front. A single Led at the rear. I bash at night very much, I just do it for visibility. I speed run at night with my Lim. and put lights on that one also. Cant speed run without.

Last edited:
@SrC You said you installed your LEDs on your chassis. Was that on the 3s, 4s chassis? And if so can you post a few pics of how you did it. When looking at how I was going to install the LEDs I just got onto my Kraton 4s body I realized it was going to be a bit different than the Outcast 4s body since there is no flat surface on the rear of the Kraton 4s body to mount the way I did on the Outcast. So I am considering other install locations. Thanks

PS: Bought a $12 glue gun from Amazon and used it and some rubber sealant of the LED connections to strengthen them. Wish I would have gotten a glue gun long ago. I now see a lot of things I can use it on. Thanks for suggestion.

Last edited:
@Custnam , I sometimes don't use the metal light bezels because of lack of room or positions to mount. I drill a hole the size diameter of the LED itself and glue into place. Or you can make a bracket of sorts from even leftover scrap thick Lexan and locate the LED's onto the bracket. The bracket can be mounted anywhere on the chassis.

OK, thanks. I came up with a pretty good plan. I installed the red rear LEDs in the Kraton 4s stock "bumper" piece. The fronts are ran to the body's headlights like the Outcast 4s. I just need to finish building the truck then I will wire it all up. So far so good.

OK, thanks. I came up with a pretty good plan. I installed the red rear LEDs in the Kraton 4s stock "bumper" piece. The fronts are ran to the body's headlights like the Outcast 4s. I just need to finish building the truck then I will wire it all up. So far so good.
Shows us pictures... (y) :cool:

Shows us pictures... (y) :cool:

Just finished the install on the Kraton 4s. Went with a different install that came out much better. Will be doing a write up with part numbers, pics, etc. once I have the Kraton repaired. But with a lot of hot glue, different smaller rear LEDs, and some grommets the install is awesome. Coming soon!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back