Arrma outcast Silicone earplugs in center diff??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rcjunky2002

Reaction score
Just got my new notorious!! Has anyone done this?
So some people have been using silicone earplugs in the center diff to stop tire ballooning. I was wondering if i could get the pros and cons of doing it?

Attachments

• 20200630_224737.jpg
    20200630_224737.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 147
  • 20200630_224815.jpg
    20200630_224815.jpg
    313.3 KB · Views: 90
You cant completely stop tire ballooning short of changing out to Belted tires. The vehicle becomes more aggressive when you approach close to locking up the center diff. You may like to drive that way. Its personal preference.
Thickening diff oil/slowing down the center diff. rate prevents power bleeding from the rear wheels to the fronts, keeping the front wheels at a lower RPM. (less ballooning) At some point, some non-belted tires just balloon more than others even if you are 100% locked at the center. i.e. Spool setup.
That is the theory behind the Silicone ear plug modd at least. To reduce ballooning. 20 Mil CST at the center may accomplish the same.
My 6S Noto is running 500k cst. My 6s Kraton is running 200K at the center. The shorter wheelbase of the Noto. needs a higher CST. Lifts much more easily. Front end lift exacerbates the ballooning effect IMO.
1/8 Truggy Race tires/wheels and belted will afford less ballooning overall. I use them too. Belted tires don't conform well, so traction will take a hit depending on the surface you are on. Loose versus hard pack, grass, going big air etc. :cool:

Last edited:
Do you know if they sell a long wheel.base chassis for the outcast?
The Kraton 6s chassis is apprx. 2 inches longer. You will also need the longer rear drive shaft, Longer rear brace and and longer front/rear T2T top brace. Not much is required to do a chassis swap. The Kraton setup runs more stable at higher speeds. It will become a Kraton. All other Kraton parts are identical to your Noto/OC. Many do this.Jennys RC has the parts at the lowest cost. You will need a Kraton or aftermarket body. But I'm sure the Noto or OC body can be fashioned to fit by nodding the rear B mounts. I have both Noto. and Kraton. The Kraton stock chassis iis more susceptible to bending than the Noto short chassis. Many go aftermarket like M2c chassis on the Kraton. If you invest in the M2C chassis you can omit that long red top brace altogether because the M2C chassis is that strong and has you covered.Food for thought.

Last edited:
Thank you. Do you know if the mojave chassis will work on the outcast? I seen a video of a outcast that was callled a 1/7 kraton xl and wasnt sure what that guy did but it looks bad a$$

The Mojave is a 6S chassis that uses most of the basic 6S drivetrain. The Mojave is called 1/7 scale however due to its longer chassis wheelbase and track width. Many more parts will be needed than just converting an OC/Noto. to a Kraton. But sure it has been done before. The Arrma 6S line is very much interchangeable with each model.:cool:

You cant completely stop tire ballooning short of changing out to Belted tires. The vehicle becomes more aggressive when you approach close to locking up the center diff. You may like to drive that way. Its personal preference.
Thickening diff oil/slowing down the center diff. rate prevents power bleeding from the rear wheels to the fronts, keeping the front wheels at a lower RPM. (less ballooning) At some point, some non-belted tires just balloon more than others even if you are 100% locked at the center. i.e. Spool setup.
That is the theory behind the Silicone ear plug modd at least. To reduce ballooning. 20 Mil CST at the center may accomplish the same.
My 6S Noto is running 500k cst. My 6s Kraton is running 200K at the center. The shorter wheelbase of the Noto. needs a higher CST. Lifts much more easily. Front end lift exacerbates the ballooning effect IMO.
1/8 Truggy Race tires/wheels and belted will afford less ballooning overall. I use them too. Belted tires don't conform well, so traction will take a hit depending on the surface you are on. Loose versus hard pack, grass, going big air etc. :cool:
what about in regards to wheelies? you suggest thicker center fluid to reduce wheelie action?

what about in regards to wheelies? you suggest thicker center fluid to reduce wheelie action?
Opposite, if you have thicker center diff it will give your rear wheels more power , thus making it a little more wheelie happy. That’s why the new outcast 8s has 20m diff fluid in the center. I don’t believe the k8s came with 20m center fluid..

Opposite, if you have thicker center diff it will give your rear wheels more power , thus making it a little more wheelie happy. That’s why the new outcast 8s has 20m diff fluid in the center. I don’t believe the k8s came with 20m center fluid..
thats what i thought. guess i just need to control throttle more.. im running about 60k center in outcast 6s and still wheelies like crazy. not getting the same stunt action as i got with 500k. less flip

thats what i thought. guess i just need to control throttle more.. im running about 60k center in outcast 6s and still wheelies like crazy. not getting the same stunt action as i got with 500k. less flip
That makes sense, with the center being thinner you wouldn’t have as much air control because when you send power to the wheels the center slips way more not making the wheels spin as fast.

you could always step your tire size down a little.. maybe go with a backflip LP. Would help with the wheelie happiness

Last edited:
That makes sense, with the center being thinner you wouldn’t have as much air control because when you send power to the wheels the center slips way more not making the wheels spin as fast.
awesome thanks. may try out 200k next and see how i like it

Thicker center diff affords less power bleed from the rear. There is a good balance required with fluids. All three diffs work together. Less ballooning if you have less front end lift up to a point. You cant remove ballooning completely, just control it to some extent. Wheelie nuisance issues come down to user input ,heavy throttle finger. Learn to drive better. Wheelies look cool for newbs, until they figure out that it does nothing for performance and ruins diffs and wheels/tires fast.

Im certainly not a newb to this hobby and I love to pull up the front end all the time across fields, down the street etc. It has nothing to do with my ability to drive my RC.
Thicker center diff affords less power bleed from the rear. There is a good balance required with fluids. All three diffs work together. Less ballooning if you have less front end lift up to a point. You cant remove ballooning completely, just control it to some extent. Wheelie nuisance issues come down to user input ,heavy throttle finger. Learn to drive better. Wheelies look cool for newbs, until they figure out that it does nothing for performance and ruins diffs and wheels/tires fast.
Pulling up the front end has nothing to do with my ability to drive, I love to pull up the front end across long fields and down streets and after hitting a nice jump. I've been driving RCs for well over 3 decades. Just because you think its a "nuisance" doesn't mean that's the case for everyone. I've smoked friends in races just pulling wheelies. They're fun as hell and Its an art that takes some throttle skills to pull long distances without flipping or losing control. Performance is not everyone's objective all the time, it has a time and a place... Just like a wheelie. LoL I think your comment is a closed minded nuisance. PS I have yet to strip gears pulling wheelies... Carry on and Rubber side down.

^^^
These are just toys, if you want to drive it like a toy great, wheelies are your thing. Fun is subjective. Looks cool I imagine.
I also have a 6s Notorious that wants to wheelie all day long out the box. It is a freestyle stunt truck. Tuning the diffs way better than stock allows you to put the power down and get planted. DIff. bleeding just wastes energy. Drivetrain will always take the hit. To some this doesn't matter, because we all do it dfferently.
I started RC'ing very serious in the late 80's at an offroad track. Bashing wasn't even a thing. I never put this hobby down since. 18 rigs later. And still have my very first one. I never claimed to be the be all end all.

I got a used NOTO from a forum member that had been rode hard and put up wet. I’ve replaced a few things and done all the maintenance, diff shimming, bearings, etc, and got it going well. I also swapped over to an Outcast body because I love the look. My first short wheelbase off road stunt truck with big tires. I personally am not a huge fan of it, even though I really want to like it. I’m not a big air guy, and even on 4s it requires concentration and technique to keep the front end down. So yeah, for me the over the top wheelie thing is a little bit of a nuisance. I really thought I wanted a “stunt truck” but as it turns out…maybe not so much. Just not my bag, man. I enjoy pushing rigs to their limit handling wise, and driving well, but I just can’t take enough interest in this one to develop my stunting skills.
And like @SrC said, we all do this in our own way. So whatever bloats you’re goat, man.

I got a used NOTO from a forum member that had been rode hard and put up wet. I’ve replaced a few things and done all the maintenance, diff shimming, bearings, etc, and got it going well. I also swapped over to an Outcast body because I love the look. My first short wheelbase off road stunt truck with big tires. I personally am not a huge fan of it, even though I really want to like it. I’m not a big air guy, and even on 4s it requires concentration and technique to keep the front end down. So yeah, for me the over the top wheelie thing is a little bit of a nuisance. I really thought I wanted a “stunt truck” but as it turns out…maybe not so much. Just not my bag, man. I enjoy pushing rigs to their limit handling wise, and driving well, but I just can’t take enough interest in this one to develop my stunting skills.
And like @SrC said, we all do this in our own way. So whatever bloats you’re goat, man.
Well said Bro. We all enjoy the hobby in our own unique way. And, no one way is gooder or worser than the other. IDK if you're a SQ collector, builder, basher, racer, general enthusiast or whatever. Just have fun and be good to each other.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back