Raider Arrma Raider Brushless Upgrage Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taupe

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Raider
Hello, the stock motor in my son's raider went out after only a few hours of bashing. Rather than wait for the replacement my brother-in-law bought him a castle 6900kv brushless system for Christmas. We have it all together and it really flies. The question is regarding the pinion gear. We have the stock 22T pinion in it, with the 87t spur. The booklet that came with the motor says to use a 12t pinion at the highest. I ran that through a speed calculator and it shows it would actually be slower than stock (26mph) . Is such a drastic decrease warranted? The motor doesn't seem to get anywhere near as hot as the stock brushed one did. Temp gun is on the way. Also, does it have to be an Arrma pinion gear? Does it just have to be 48p?.

Last edited:
Any 48P gear will work. If the esc is under 130, and motor under 150ish degrees, you should be fine. I will say 6900kv seems kinda high for an off road rig. Typical advice would suggest keeping it in the 3-5000kv range. Have fun!

Hey guys

I had the same issue two days ago in my son's raider so im thinking of upgrading to a brushless system..im currently looking at a 3000kv12.5T with 45amp esc combo its a cheap system priced at $60
Any ideas on pinion and spur gear setup? For this system or should i just try it with the stock gearing setup first?

Run the stock gearing to start. Get a temp gun. They can be found under $20. If the motor gets too hot, gear down. If the ESC gets too hot, gear up. Make small jumps with pinion gear teeth, like 2 up or down as needed.

Run the stock gearing to start. Get a temp gun. They can be found under $20. If the motor gets too hot, gear down. If the ESC gets too hot, gear up. Make small jumps with pinion gear teeth, like 2 up or down as needed.
Okay awesome thank u!

It sure does! Around 45MPH according to my phone that was zip tied to it. :( The motor never breaks 90 degrees Fahrenheit, I think it's because you can't hold full throttle for more than a few seconds at a time. We did drop the pinion and increase the spur quite a bit after putting larger tires on it (15/87). Went up to a 4" tire, giving us about .75" larger than stock. Doesn't seem like much, but it doesn't even slow down when hitting the grass now. I bought myself a Granite yesterday so that we can tool around together, the batteries run low so fast with the brushed motor, I basically keep it full throttle just to keep up. I'll probably burn it out just like he did, lol. Good thing I have a birthday coming up, pretty sure I know what my wife will be getting me. I'll post a pic of the Raider if it's ever clean again.

It sure does! Around 45MPH according to my phone that was zip tied to it. :( The motor never breaks 90 degrees Fahrenheit, I think it's because you can't hold full throttle for more than a few seconds at a time. We did drop the pinion and increase the spur quite a bit after putting larger tires on it (15/87). Went up to a 4" tire, giving us about .75" larger than stock. Doesn't seem like much, but it doesn't even slow down when hitting the grass now. I bought myself a Granite yesterday so that we can tool around together, the batteries run low so fast with the brushed motor, I basically keep it full throttle just to keep up. I'll probably burn it out just like he did, lol. Good thing I have a birthday coming up, pretty sure I know what my wife will be getting me. I'll post a pic of the Raider if it's ever clean again.

I had same probs with a Raider upgrade, it just couldn't handle the speed and never reached full throttle, else it popped front wheels over the rear. I moved the power plant to a Vorteks, which is prob more stable than the Raider, because of wider stance.
Will find out this weekend when it takes a run.

Go ahead and post the pics, there's no style points around here! LOL

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back