Arrma raider mega spur and pinion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt74

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Raider
So i was surfing the net around chistmas (i have two young lads, 5 and 2.5 years old) and i came across this really great write up for a RTR buggy called an arrma raider mega (yep, you can still buy them new in Oz and cheap too).. i hadn't driven an RC since i was a kid (i’m 45 this year and still a kid mind you) which was one of the old “Grasshopper” RC’s..

So i had a look around, found the cheapest and bought it... all in the space of about 10 minutes!.. i wish i hadve come to this forum first because i probably wouldve looked at getting something else in hindsight (something newer and not a discontinued model) but hey, it is what it is and there’s still heaps of parts available and my two young lads bloody love it!!... they have an absolute ball driving it with my help ofcourse.

Anyway, i eventually will move to brushless, probably when we burn the stock motor out, so i am getting the parts together to change the all the gears to metal (even replacing the composite plastic stuff)..

My question to anyone that could be bothered responding is what pinion and spur gear would be great for the buggy now whilst it has the stock motor/esc, and the buggy when i go brushless... is there a good spur/pinion combination that will improve the performance now and then also stand up well to a brushless system later when i get that?... its not gonna be an over the top brushless one mind you..

Any suggestions or info would be greatly appreciated..

This is some great info... cheers..

I’ve recently bought a mega raider... yes, you can still get them in Australia and pretty bloody cheap too... and it’s for me and my two young lads to bash around.. want to go brushless eventually (probably when the stock brushed craps itself) by don’t want anything too wild and will probably continue using the 4200 nimh 8.4v battery’s I got cheap with the brushless for a while too before getting some lipo’s..

Thinking this esc;

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/quicrun-wp-10bl60.html?wrh_pdp=6

And a 3650 3100kv motor... just haven’t settled on the motor... anyone here recommend any good ones that are great value for money?

To original poster... Sorry to butt in on your thread!

I am not that familiar with the Raider but if you can switch to a 32p spur and pinion while changing gears anyways would not be a bad idea. 32p have larger teeth stand up to more abuse and mesh is easier to set. With a larger motor say a 3660 motor 32p would be better. With that being said 48p is fine when the gear mesh is set right.

The Hobbywing 10BL60 is a good choice doesn't sound like your looking to overpower your Raider so a 60a esc will run most 3650 motors even on 3s just fine. You can thermal the esc or overload it and the one I have has shutdown or cut the power when any of these have occured (pushed to hard). Can't say you can't fry one just saying that some of the other cheaper esc's have been known to fry for various reasons even though they claim to be waterproof (10BL60 has coating for at least splash proof never tested fully submersing it) and have thermal and overload protection. Plus the 10BL60 esc has various programmable settings vs some of the cheaper ones.

You can get a 3650 (not finned can) 3100kv pretty cheap (depending on where you buy). The motor can be geared taller if stock brushed pinion is too slow. A brushless motor can tolerate a little more sustained heat than a brushed motor can. More power comes with faster speed and more broken parts. When is it not enough power or when is it too much? When people move to brushless most want this drastic increase in speed but for some brushed speed is fine just want more motor reliability.

8.4v nimh is fine also but rather than investing in anymore nimh's I would go with 2s lipo's for your next battery purchase. 8.4v nimh is fine though for kids and charging can be done with a simple one button nimh plug in and charge charger (or the crappy chargers included with some RTR's).

As for gearing and staying under 4000kv I would look at going at least a couple teeth up on the pinion but you might be fine with brushed gearing.

Last edited:
I am not that familiar with the Raider but if you can switch to a 32p spur and pinion while changing gears anyways would not be a bad idea. 32p have larger teeth stand up to more abuse and mesh is easier to set. With a larger motor say a 3660 motor 32p would be better. With that being said 48p is fine when the gear mesh is set right.

The Hobbywing 10BL60 is a good choice doesn't sound like your looking to overpower your Raider so a 60a esc will run most 3650 motors even on 3s just fine. You can thermal the esc or overload it and the one I have has shutdown or cut the power when any of these have occured (pushed to hard). Can't say you can't fry one just saying that some of the other cheaper esc's have been known to fry for various reasons even though they claim to be waterproof (10BL60 has coating for at least splash proof never tested fully submersing it) and have thermal and overload protection. Plus the 10BL60 esc has various programmable settings vs some of the cheaper ones.

You can get a 3650 (not finned can) 3100kv pretty cheap (depending on where you buy). The motor can be geared taller if stock brushed pinion is too slow. A brushless motor can tolerate a little more sustained heat than a brushed motor can. More power comes with faster speed and more broken parts. When is it not enough power or when is it too much? When people move to brushless most want this drastic increase in speed but for some brushed speed is fine just want more motor reliability.

8.4v nimh is fine also but rather than investing in anymore nimh's I would go with 2s lipo's for your next battery purchase. 8.4v nimh is fine though for kids and charging can be done with a simple one button nimh plug in and charge charger (or the crappy chargers included with some RTR's).

As for gearing and staying under 4000kv I would look at going at least a couple teeth up on the pinion but you might be fine with brushed gearing.
Cheers for the response and the great advice... very much appreciated..

In answer to a few of your points..

On gearing, i have a 32p pinion (17t) and spur (54t) on order currently alone with a couple of other options.. as they are only a couple of dollars for each spur and pinion i thought i might aswell order a couple of different ones..

When it comes to the charger and batteries.. i got a great deal on a Skyrc d100 v2 charger and a couple of 8.4v 4000 nimh batteries in a bit of a package.. so whilst i have the charger to go Lipo right now.. ive got these new nimh’s and i might aswell use them.. plus im not really looking for stupid levels of speed!.

Youre also right when you say it sounds as if im looking for the better reliability brushless brings over brushed... not so much the much higher performance..

So i was looking at this esc-

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/quicrun-wp-10bl60.html

and getting a motor like this in the 3100kv option;

https://m.banggood.com/Racerstar-36...039002300KV-p-1110570.html?&cart_warehouse=CN

Although it works out around the same price (by the time i paying import duties and shipping on the esc and motor above) to get this combo instead;

https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/products/ezrun-max10-combo?variant=27757683857

From an Australian seller on ebay for about $130 delivered. If i could bother you again for your thoughts on this one it would be great?

It seems like an even better esc with more options, progammables etc.. and it comes with a programming card and a motor obviously well suited to it..

The MAX10 is a step up from the Quicrun and if that combo works out close to being the same (or not a big difference in total price) as the Quicrun and Racerstar go with the MAX10 combo.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back