Senton Arrma Senton 3S w/ the STX2 - will upgrading to a DX5C really change much for the Novice?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dulb_D

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Senton 6s
Hey guys, so new to RC and got a Senton 3S, I am reading on this forum people really displeased with the STX2 radio. I have $75 to put towards this hobby and potentially a new radio and receiver. Would I notice any real difference "upgrading" to, for instance, a Spektrum DX5C? The novice in me really thinks I would appreciate AVC most. This car is squirrely as heck on 3S. I'm just unsure what better radios give you - beyond features like channels and response time. Like, I know high frame rate helps make controlling easier but would I (as a novice, non-racer) really notice the response difference between the STX2 and a DX5C in that regard? Do the wheels on the radios feel really different or can they be programmed to turn more, the more you turn them making small corrections easier when going fast or something? Just not sure what to expect - or I know what people say about them but that may be that those people are more sensitive to the differences than I would be.

I am also into firearms and there are people who just go crazy over suggesting upgrading firearms and insisting that, right out of the box, "you gotta do this that and the other thing" "don't be poor" before the novice really even uses them as-is for a while and then there are some who are more practical about it - "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". I definitely tend to be the latter and I am also not able to put a ton of money into this hobby but if there are some small inexpensive things I can do that make a significant of enough difference/improvement I can justify them - after a few more hours of experience I think.

If its your first radio and its all you know, then stick with it until it starts giving you trouble or needs replacing.
For me I have had prior experience and whilst the radio did feel very cheap, I was having the usual delays/range issues you read about. Swapped it over and I'm happy i did.

Personaly i went with the dumbo rc 6channel with gyro for 30$ but the gyro is not like the avc or tsm it corrects yes but when it done correcting it recenters vs tsm or avc stays in place if he detects that the car is sideways i only put 15% gyro

Biggest reason I went with the dx5c was for multiple models. It does have a lot of adjustments and fine tuning. Great for the price. AVC is nice to have but not always necessary.

People have upgraditis IMO and buy stupid stuff they don't need. Not sure why your truck is squirrelly, but a new radio isn't going to fix that.

Just drive it and ask this question again in 3 months if you really feel like you're missing something. I have about 15 radios and I still use the STX2 on my Kraton 4S.

Me i witched because my kraton went full speed into a car once and also when i was on a parking lot i lost radio distance and went full speed into a bush i was braking but nothing was happening

I have multiple RCs, so I noticed a difference in throttle response compared to my other radios, and switched to a Spektrum DX5C I use for several other vehicles. That being said, a friend of mine who had never driven a 'real' RC vehicle before, did not notice, nor did I tell him my thoughts prior to him driving. I switched because it was easy and I had a radio that supported multiple RCs already. If this is your first one, save your money for maintenance, parts, your next inevitable RC car or truck...

Is there a delay in the steering? Have you lost signal? If not then don't worry about it.

If you are having trouble with the radio then get something like the DUMBORC radio @Surchaufeur mentioned above. If you want a radio that you can run more than one vehicle on, or you want to be able to mess around with your settings then go for the DX5C.

And I would like to know where you can get a DX5C for $75.

giphy.gif

And I would like to know where you can get a DX5C for $75.

I'd certainly like to know! Nah, I have $75 to put towards the hobby. After issues I had in todays run I think a potential transmitter upgrade has been tabled for something else...

I ise the dx5 but i was fine it was not till i ended up woth 5 cars went out and forgot the one i love to drive most than i switched so if you don't have an issue with the controller the forst upgrade would be thebpart that breaks the most.

People have upgraditis IMO and buy stupid stuff they don't need. Not sure why your truck is squirrelly, but a new radio isn't going to fix that.

Just drive it and ask this question again in 3 months if you really feel like you're missing something. I have about 15 radios and I still use the STX2 on my Kraton 4S.
Any issues with the stx2 yet? I have one in my new granite. no issues so far. I really don't want to spend extra money if there is no need.

Any issues with the stx2 yet? I have one in my new granite. no issues so far. I really don't want to spend extra money if there is no need.

I just sold the Kraton, but it was fine. If you have no issues, then no you don't need to change it. Take that extra $100 and save it up for another car or batteries or something.

I just sold the Kraton, but it was fine. If you have no issues, then no you don't need to change it. Take that extra $100 and save it up for another car or batteries or something.
Or insurance. ??‍♂️?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back