ARRMA Shocks Keep Breaking!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GraniteRob007

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
Hey everyone,

I keep breaking my front shock mounts. It's cold here in Virginia, but the truck is indoors until I run it, and the break usually happens within a couple minutes of driving.

It's happened a couple times on tight turns and rolled it, thus breaking the shock, and a couple times when I've run into small obstacles. I haven't been doing anything crazy.

I realize this is a common problem with this shock, and I've heard there's ways to fix it, and/or protect the shock.

What are ya'll's thoughts on this issue? Have you gone with aluminum shocks instead, or is there some other way to fix this issue?

Thanks!
ARRMA Front Shock.jpg

Hey everyone,

I keep breaking my front shock mounts. It's cold here in Virginia, but the truck is indoors until I run it, and the break usually happens within a couple minutes of driving.

It's happened a couple times on tight turns and rolled it, thus breaking the shock, and a couple times when I've run into small obstacles. I haven't been doing anything crazy.

I realize this is a common problem with this shock, and I've heard there's ways to fix it, and/or protect the shock.

What are ya'll's thoughts on this issue? Have you gone with aluminum shocks instead, or is there some other way to fix this issue?

Thanks!
View attachment 28089

As far as I know you really have no option to strengthen the stock shocks. Maybe a TBone front bumper you help if you hit something. The other option is either the 6s Typhon shocks or Chinese aftermarket ones. There is a huge thread on them in Mega/BLX forum.

Those shocks are not worth a hoot buddy. I’ll be honest, I got offered Traxxas big bore as an upgrade. So I spent the money I was suggested to spend. 65/70$.... and installed them. Total garbage for my Senton Mega... sold them almost immediately. And purchased typhon v3 shocks front and rear. One micro issue with these. Massively wide. They just hardly thouch the suspension arms.

As far as I know you really have no option to strengthen the stock shocks. Maybe a TBone front bumper you help if you hit something. The other option is either the 6s Typhon shocks or Chinese aftermarket ones. There is a huge thread on them in Mega/BLX forum.

@bicketybam I put a TBone front bumper on. That's one of the first things I did with this truck after I smashed the stock bumper to bits 3 or 4 times. I love the Granite, but the bumper, and shock mounts are crap. I've been pretty lucky with everything else thus far!!! The bumper doesn't help though when I hit things with the front wheel - at the wrong angle, and it snaps the shock mount, and a front suspension mount.

Try the typhoon shocks with Tekno lower rod ends and spring cups. As far as the rubbing goes, you can always add a washer to the shock tower. That would be a massive upgrade and well worth it. Arrma shocks on eBay are dirt cheap, and better than aftermarket ones because of the ease to buy rebuild kits down the road. $44.00 + Tekno parts and you are bullet proof.

JennysRC has HB buggy shocks for about $75 both front and rear. I almost bought them the other night but went with the Hoboa because they were cheaper. Double check the length because I don’t remember what they were but I’m 99% sure they would work. There are Mugen shocks as well but they are a little more expensive. Jenny’s is one of the only places you can buy the entire shock kits in one shot. If you were to buy each piece the they’d probably be $140 to $150 for the set.

Okay, I did some research through the forums that @bicketybam mentioned. I also found some info that some Facebook members posted. My choices right now are the Typhon shocks from Ebay, or these Boom Racing shocks from AsiaTees (front | rear).

Anyone here tried both, or have thoughts one way or the other?

Also tagging @Megasty and @Guilly.

Thanks everyone!
The best shocks available in that price range & probably the best shocks overall are the V3 Talion shocks. They are virtually the same length as the 6s Typhon shocks but they have stiffer thick springs. If they are too stiff for you, you can always buy Typhon springs. They are surprisingly cheap on JRC:

https://jennysrc.com/collections/ar...ocks-assembled-senton-outcast-kraton-ar106014

https://jennysrc.com/collections/ar...cks-assembled-outcast-kraton-springs-ar106014

I only have experience with the Typhon shocks from Ebay as they are basically made for a Slash & will have your truck sitting on the ground if they aren't the proper length. I know this seller. He sells the proper length shocks but they are apart of 2 different sets, the rears of the Slash set will fit the Granite fronts & the fronts of the Kraton set will fit the Granite rears. It's just a matter of putting the 2 shock pairs together. However, with both aftermarket sets, you're screwed if they break.

The best shocks available in that price range & probably the best shocks overall are the V3 Talion shocks. They are virtually the same length as the 6s Typhon shocks but they have stiffer thick springs. If they are too stiff for you, you can always buy Typhon springs. They are surprisingly cheap on JRC:

https://jennysrc.com/collections/ar...ocks-assembled-senton-outcast-kraton-ar106014

https://jennysrc.com/collections/ar...cks-assembled-outcast-kraton-springs-ar106014

I only have experience with the Typhon shocks from Ebay as they are basically made for a Slash & will have your truck sitting on the ground if they aren't the proper length. I know this seller. He sells the proper length shocks but they are apart of 2 different sets, the rears of the Slash set will fit the Granite fronts & the fronts of the Kraton set will fit the Granite rears. It's just a matter of putting the 2 shock pairs together. However, with both aftermarket sets, you're screwed if they break.
Damn there’s like an echo in here ... weird ???

Really? Talion 6s shocks are the go-to now, instead of Typhon 6s?

Really? Talion 6s shocks are the go-to now, instead of Typhon 6s?
Because we buy all the Typhon 6s shocks the second they pop up :ROFLMAO: It's actually cheaper to go Talion & buy Typhon springs since the springs are cheaper than the aluminum caps - also the Typhon shocks cost more since we killed the supply . . .

Try the typhoon shocks with Tekno lower rod ends and spring cups. As far as the rubbing goes, you can always add a washer to the shock tower. That would be a massive upgrade and well worth it. Arrma shocks on eBay are dirt cheap, and better than aftermarket ones because of the ease to buy rebuild kits down the road. $44.00 + Tekno parts and you are bullet proof.

@2015GTRBE
Thanks for the info. Still researching everything, trying to decide which way I want to go.

Do you have part #s (or other info) on the Tekno lowers?

Thanks!

Thanks @Megasty !

I took a look at the JRC products. They look pretty solid, but I have a question: How do you shim the top to keep it tight, or at least keep it from jumping around? That looks like a pretty substantial hole without any bushings to keep it tight.

Thanks @Megasty !

I took a look at the JRC products. They look pretty solid, but I have a question: How do you shim the top to keep it tight, or at least keep it from jumping around? That looks like a pretty substantial hole without any bushings to keep it tight.
#6 washers, m3 spacers, vacuum tubing, nitro tubing, silicone tubing - I've seen people use anything. Here's another: https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/6s-shocks-on-3s.9580/post-107205 Pure genius lvl stuff right there.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back