Typhon Arrma stock servo in Typhon?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamminHyaku

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
I have the stock red servo 15kg in my typhon, I know lots of people complain about this servo (and the servo mount) on the notorious and outcast, as the mount just isnt strong enough to always turn the wheels and can cause the servo to strip out. I used the stock servo and mount on my outcast before selling it though and never had any issues. My questions is, im getting into racing and trying to tune my Typhon more for racing, my brother is selling a used Savox high torque motor and Hotracing servo mount for these cars. Is this worthwhile to buy them from him? Is the stock servo and or servo mount good enough in the typhon? Would i see any benefits or anything on the track with the new servo/mount?

The stock servo seems sturdy enough to me and has lasted so far, but hearing of other peoples troubles with it makes me wonder.

Thank you!

If he gives you the family discount then by all means...My typhon has the stock mount but a Savox 1270 I think. It handles just fine for me. I’d have to be a much better driver to notice or need it to be better. Having a spare servo or two doesn’t hurt though. That way you don’t have to wait for the mail man...

I don’t race so take this for what it’s worth. I run a Savox 1210SG in my Typhon with a VH servo mount. What really makes it shine is the fact that I’m running it on 7.4v and not 6v. It is noticeably faster and stronger on the higher voltage and just blows away the stock servo. So if you have an esc with an adjustable BEC that can run 7.4 or an external BEC, then an upgraded servo makes a huge difference.

1st, the v3 servo mount is fine, if you are using the proper long screws. If you can get the servo mount for almost free, then go for it, it won't hurt. But it won't be a big improvement over the v3 mount. (The v1 mount was spaghetti, though)

Second, better servos are always nice. But for the typhon, the stock servo is fine. If you can get a better esc and feed the servo the 7.2v it was designed for, it is a pretty fast servo too.

Last - for racing, the best upgrade is wheel time, and a good set of tires. And set your throttle EPAto 70%, or less, till you get decent at not crashing every lap.

I find the stock v3 servo mount more than enough for the Typhon. it's the bigger/heavier wheels where it struggles. Same goes for the stock servo, the power is borderline one the bigger wheels, but on the buggy wheels of the Typhon it has no issue moving.

The problem for me with the stock servo is speed, it's sluggish for a track. I ran the Savox SC-1256TG on mine and it's fast enough for me. There are probably much cheaper options, but i havnt tried them.

I find the stock v3 servo mount more than enough for the Typhon. it's the bigger/heavier wheels where it struggles. Same goes for the stock servo, the power is borderline one the bigger wheels, but on the buggy wheels of the Typhon it has no issue moving.

The problem for me with the stock servo is speed, it's sluggish for a track. I ran the Savox SC-1256TG on mine and it's fast enough for me. There are probably much cheaper options, but i havnt tried them.
This is the savox my brother has. So the stock Blx esc only supplies the servo with 6v? How would you go about supplying it with 7.2v? What would you need to do?

1st, the v3 servo mount is fine, if you are using the proper long screws. If you can get the servo mount for almost free, then go for it, it won't hurt. But it won't be a big improvement over the v3 mount. (The v1 mount was spaghetti, though)

Second, better servos are always nice. But for the typhon, the stock servo is fine. If you can get a better esc and feed the servo the 7.2v it was designed for, it is a pretty fast servo too.

Last - for racing, the best upgrade is wheel time, and a good set of tires. And set your throttle EPAto 70%, or less, till you get decent at not crashing every lap.
So the stock blx only supplies 6v? How do you go about feeding it with 7.2v? Do you need a sensored ESC and you can then configure it to 7.2v in the computer? Or how do you know which esc works?

So the stock blx only supplies 6v? How do you go about feeding it with 7.2v? Do you need a sensored ESC and you can then configure it to 7.2v in the computer? Or how do you know which esc works?
You buy a new ESC. ? you don't need a sensored ESC, just one that can be programmed. Most if the hobbywing rebrand ESCs (BLX, Hexfly) have this option removed. Get a real MAX8 and you can set the BEC to 7.2v. Also, the Castle Mamba ESCs can have the BEC set up to 8.4v. (Sidewinder esc is fixed to 5.0v or 6.0v)

And, yeah, the ADS15M was designed for 7.2v. At that power, it is strong and quick. At 6.0v, it is a bit sluggish.

So update.. today the servo finally decided to let go and stripped out... guess the final decision is, the upgrade is worth it! Wish i decided that yesterday haha

You buy a new ESC. ? you don't need a sensored ESC, just one that can be programmed. Most if the hobbywing rebrand ESCs (BLX, Hexfly) have this option removed. Get a real MAX8 and you can set the BEC to 7.2v. Also, the Castle Mamba ESCs can have the BEC set up to 8.4v. (Sidewinder esc is fixed to 5.0v or 6.0v)

And, yeah, the ADS15M was designed for 7.2v. At that power, it is strong and quick. At 6.0v, it is a bit sluggish.
MM2 is only 7v for some reason ?

Last edited:
servo specs are weird, the ADS15M speed is 0.16, while the Savox 1256 is 0.15, yet the Savox feels at least twice as fast.
It's amazing what the difference of 1/100 of a second can make in the speed of a servo. I prefer servos that are closer to 0.10 seconds. Since doing this running a servo that is slower than 0.14 seconds anymore seems so slow.

It's amazing what the difference of 1/100 of a second can make in the speed of a servo. I prefer servos that are closer to 0.10 seconds. Since doing this running a servo that is slower than 0.14 seconds anymore seems so slow.
Agree. I used to say I would not buy a servo slower than. 15s, till most of my servos were .12s, with a few in the .10s-.08s. Now I have trouble spending money on "slow .12s" servos, and want them all .10 or faster... ??????

Agree. I used to say I would not buy a servo slower than. 15s, till most of my servos were .12s, with a few in the .10s-.08s. Now I have trouble spending money on "slow .12s" servos, and want them all .10 or faster... ??????
Those little servos in my LC Racing vehicles are 0.10, so nice.

I have the stock red servo 15kg in my typhon, I know lots of people complain about this servo (and the servo mount) on the notorious and outcast, as the mount just isnt strong enough to always turn the wheels and can cause the servo to strip out. I used the stock servo and mount on my outcast before selling it though and never had any issues. My questions is, im getting into racing and trying to tune my Typhon more for racing, my brother is selling a used Savox high torque motor and Hotracing servo mount for these cars. Is this worthwhile to buy them from him? Is the stock servo and or servo mount good enough in the typhon? Would i see any benefits or anything on the track with the new servo/mount?

The stock servo seems sturdy enough to me and has lasted so far, but hearing of other peoples troubles with it makes me wonder.

Thank you!
I’m rocking this servo here, and hot racing servo not sure ? but if it’s this servo or mount if you set trim or anything to hard the mount moves I’m thinking it’s all mounts idk but I don’t need to turn on a dime so it’s perfectly fine as is

Attachments

• EE85ACF4-0263-4002-AF1F-72272B89C664.png
    EE85ACF4-0263-4002-AF1F-72272B89C664.png
    385 KB · Views: 41
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back