Talion Arrma Talion 8S

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjl5590

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm quite happy with my current setup but looking for a bit more power. Current setup is:

- SSS 2140kV 4092 motor

- Hobbywing Max 6 esc

- Turnigy Graphene 6s 4000mAh lipo

My goal is to be able to achieve 70mph+ on road, with the ability of taking it off road without having to change the gearing. I plan to run 8s on a lower kV motor.

My theoretical new setup is:

- Motor (unsure what size, I think any diameter above 49mm will require a custom motor mount). Am looking at the following sizes:

- Keep the Max 6 esc

- Change to 8s lipo using x2 HRB 5000mAh 4S 50c

Does anyone have any motor and motor mount recommendations? I've found this mount but it's expensive https://practicalproto.com/products/v4mount

Thanks all

Hi guys,

I'm quite happy with my current setup but looking for a bit more power. Current setup is:

- SSS 2140kV 4092 motor

- Hobbywing Max 6 esc

- Turnigy Graphene 6s 4000mAh lipo

My goal is to be able to achieve 70mph+ on road, with the ability of taking it off road without having to change the gearing. I plan to run 8s on a lower kV motor.

My theoretical new setup is:

- Motor (unsure what size, I think any diameter above 49mm will require a custom motor mount). Am looking at the following sizes:

- Keep the Max 6 esc

- Change to 8s lipo using x2 HRB 5000mAh 4S 50c

Does anyone have any motor and motor mount recommendations? I've found this mount but it's expensive https://practicalproto.com/products/v4mount

Thanks all
If you want to go full overkill I would recommend getting a MMX8s and a TP4070CM or a Cordova 1440 2000kv.
Here is a video of that setup with a Tekno ET48.

You might just try the 4985 hw motor. With a 23t pinion it should get you where you want to be. @Lovestricken runs this setup, myself and many others. @Mr.Duke runs his Kraton with this setup on 8s.

I had the max6 4985 combo in my v3 talion for a couple months and put the blx system back in it because I felt like the extra weight it add took away from how well it handled both on the ground and in the air.

It’s in the Kraton with 22/46 gearing on 8s.
The talion is about as dialed in as I could ever ask for on the stock system 20/50 on 6s so I’m probably gonna keep that the way it is or just switch the esc out for a mx8s esc

Outcast is getting a mx8s 1717 system soon.

@Mr.Duke .. Silly question but I've have to ask (I'm sure I've asked before), but what are the benefits of putting the 46T spur in other than top speed..??
Is your Kraton using the M2C Talion chassis..??

If you want to go full overkill I would recommend getting a MMX8s and a TP4070CM or a Cordova 1440 2000kv.
Here is a video of that setup with a Tekno ET48.
Thanks for the advice, will there be much to gain going from the Max 6 to the MMX8s? I was more looking to just upgrade the motor & lipo cells.

That TP4070CM does look pretty incredible, and it's more or less the same price as the Hobbywing 4985. Or I could go for the bigger TP5840L but then I'd need to find a custom motor mount for a large diameter motor...

Thanks for the advice, will there be much to gain going from the Max 6 to the MMX8s? I was more looking to just upgrade the motor & lipo cells.

That TP4070CM does look pretty incredible, and it's more or less the same price as the Hobbywing 4985. Or I could go for the bigger TP5840L but then I'd need to find a custom motor mount for a large diameter motor...
I don't own a MMX8s yet but I have some other Castle ESCs and also Hobbywing. The Hobbywings are great for bashing. But at some point they're cutting power. I can't say that it could happen in your case but it's definitely an issue when doing speed runs. For example I had a Max8 in my Infraction and I wanted more power so I got the Max6. But there was almost none improvement in terms of power. It ran way cooler and I had the option to run 8s but it still cut power around 100mph (some said to disable the LVC, I never tried that so maybe that would do the trick). Now I have a MM2 in the Infraction which is way smaller and can't do 8s like the Max6, but for speed runs it's way better because it doesn't cut power.
Therefore it's hard for me to say if there is a noticeable difference with the MMX8s but in general Castle ESC's have more punch. And If you're thinking about getting the Tp4070CM or the Cordova you need to change the timing to 0 because they are D wind. As far as I'm concerned you can't change the timing on the Hobbywing ESC's.
If money isn't an issue I would recommend getting the MMX8s :)

@Mr.Duke .. Silly question but I've have to ask (I'm sure I've asked before), but what are the benefits of putting the 46T spur in other than top speed..??
Is your Kraton using the M2C Talion chassis..??
46t is just for more speed.
I have an M2C Talion chassis under my Kraton because I like the better weight distribution and that the chassis braces are stronger by being locked into place with a keyed design.

I don't own a MMX8s yet but I have some other Castle ESCs and also Hobbywing. The Hobbywings are great for bashing. But at some point they're cutting power. I can't say that it could happen in your case but it's definitely an issue when doing speed runs. For example I had a Max8 in my Infraction and I wanted more power so I got the Max6. But there was almost none improvement in terms of power. It ran way cooler and I had the option to run 8s but it still cut power around 100mph (some said to disable the LVC, I never tried that so maybe that would do the trick). Now I have a MM2 in the Infraction which is way smaller and can't do 8s like the Max6, but for speed runs it's way better because it doesn't cut power.
Therefore it's hard for me to say if there is a noticeable difference with the MMX8s but in general Castle ESC's have more punch. And If you're thinking about getting the Tp4070CM or the Cordova you need to change the timing to 0 because they are D wind. As far as I'm concerned you can't change the timing on the Hobbywing ESC's.
If money isn't an issue I would recommend getting the MMX8s :)
Hmm interesting, there's no way I'd be doing 100mph, don't have the space for it! I just want more overall power to be able to push 70mph, without changing the gearing if I wanted to kick some dirt around in the woods...

Just read on the webside that the TP motor is more for speed runs, not continuous usage. Maybe I'd be better off with something like this?

https://www.sagacustomrc.com/store/..._1500kv_smooth_can_designed_by_Steve_Neu.html

Last edited:
Hmm interesting, there's no way I'd be doing 100mph, don't have the space for it! I just want more overall power to be able to push 70mph, without changing the gearing if I wanted to kick some dirt around in the woods...

Just read on the webside that the TP motor is more for speed runs, not continuous usage. Maybe I'd be better off with something like this?

https://www.sagacustomrc.com/store/..._1500kv_smooth_can_designed_by_Steve_Neu.html
And with your current setup you're not able to achieve that? Does the SSS motor get too hot?
Because that's already a quite powerful setup, therefore I don't think you will experience any huge gain in performance with a new motor.
As already said, if you want to go full out on power, just get the MMX8s and the Cordova (because they seem to run quite cool compared to others) or the upcoming 1717 sensored from Castle. But even with this setup you would need cooling fans to keep the temps down.
Otherwise I would just keep your setup and maybe add some fans if you haven't already.
But I could be totally wrong and maybe the Poseidon motor will be a huge gain in performance. But that one is "only" 1500kv so you need to gear up quite a bit to achieve the 70mph. I guess at least to a 23-25t.

Ok just taken out the Talion on my current setup, pretty certain putting any more power into it will destroy it... It's more than powerful enough as it is.

I think I'm just expecting 70mph on short grass which is almost unachievable

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back